TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1970 Javelin hood "vent" fasteners?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeMoCo2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1970 Javelin hood "vent" fasteners?
    Posted: Mar/14/2023 at 4:18pm
Hello everyone!

Does anyone know what sort of hardware and fasteners were used to hold the faux hood "vents/scoops" on a 1970 Javelin hood? My car's original hardware has long gone missing and I figured it would be smart to do some research before trying every type of fastener at the local hardware store. I haven't been able to find any sort of information through the wonderful world of Google or forum searching, though it's very possible I may have simply overlooked it. Thanks in advance for the help!

Cheers!
-Brad L.
bigbadgreen View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbadgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2023 at 4:30pm
From what i remember its a flat thread cutting speed nut.

Edited by bigbadgreen - Mar/14/2023 at 6:44pm
JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2023 at 7:50pm
AMARK has them for the functional hood they might be the same for non-functional hoods?

FreeMoCo2009 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeMoCo2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2023 at 2:14pm
Bigbadgreen- I had a sneaking suspicion but wasn't completely sure. Definitely on the top of my list the next time I head to the hardware store.

jgrantamx- Functional hood as in a Mark Donohue hood? Or something else?

Definitely going to give the speed nuts a try and go from there. Thanks for the input everyone!

Cheers!
-Brad L.
"It takes a confident man to admit that he's capable of making shockingly stupid errors." - Mike Rowe

Good at breaking things
JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2023 at 4:25pm
 There were a couple of different hoods available for 70 Javelin see below, the ram air hood functional version only for Javelin SST Go-Pac, and a stock type hood with cast chrome/black ornaments. What hood do you have? The AMARK fastener kit shown above is for the ram air hood inlet chrome and ducts.

J

J

White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2023 at 5:09pm
The hood with the flat ribbed chrome insert uses speed nuts.

The stud on the backside of the trim piece is tapered.

Edited by White70JavelinSST - Mar/17/2023 at 5:11pm
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
FreeMoCo2009 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeMoCo2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2023 at 8:50pm
jgrantamx - The base model SST with the flat ribbed faux vents is what I have. No fancy ram air for my Javelin unfortunately (yet!)

White70JavelinSST - Gotcha, and appreciate the input!

Cheers!
-Brad L.
"It takes a confident man to admit that he's capable of making shockingly stupid errors." - Mike Rowe

Good at breaking things
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2023 at 7:00am
Originally posted by FreeMoCo2009 FreeMoCo2009 wrote:

jgrantamx - The base model SST with the flat ribbed faux vents is what I have. No fancy ram air for my Javelin unfortunately (yet!)

White70JavelinSST - Gotcha, and appreciate the input!

Cheers!
-Brad L.

You're welcome. The information is accurate as well. The base model hood with flat ribbed chrome inserts is in my basement, I tipped it away from the wall and looked at the fasteners.

70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic