TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1970 Javelin Fix Up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 20>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrNoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1970 Javelin Fix Up
    Posted: Nov/10/2012 at 9:31pm
Hi all. If you do not mind, I would like to post the on-going story of me getting my 1970 Javelin back on the road. I bought it down by Houston a few months ago, where it had been sitting in a field for 25 years....with the window down! Some of you may have seen it for sale on Craigslist. Here are the specs on it:

1970 Javelin SST
232 straight six, 3 speed on the floor
Gold Lime Metallic exterior, with black strip and black landau top
Green Corduroy interior

Nothing too exciting, but after having about 20 V-8 1970 models over the years, I am looking forward to fixing up a six. And I call it fixing up, because I will not be doing one of the full blown beautiful restorations I see on this site. My goal is to be able to drive it every day when I am done.

Anyway, here are some pictures of how it looked when I got it. This is the Craigslist ad from my phone.

And here is a picture of me hauling it out of its long-term resting place.

Fortunately the bumper and grille were lying next to the car, as well as the other front end parts. It is a real mess, but it is all there!

If there is any interest in it, I will start posting pictures of my progress on it so far.

Thanks
Dan
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2012 at 9:34pm
Of course there is interest! Love seeing other peoples projects!!!!
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2012 at 9:35pm
I love the project posts.  Please post your progress.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2012 at 9:37pm
I love a good rescue story. Can't wait to see what you are going to do.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
DrNoose View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrNoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2012 at 10:33pm
I am glad folks are interested! I will use the next few posts to try to play catch-up as to where I am at today.

I am sure that some of you all in the forum have dealt with field cars before. The level of of filth in this car was about as bad as anything I have ever seen before. In some parts of the car there were at least 4 inches of what I call "rat nasties". Plus the Texas heat and sun had cooked everything in the car. Plus the window was down. I bet that the AMC engineers and interior designers never planned for this!

A better picture of the car as it was sitting. What looks like snow is actually sand.

I drug it out of its resting place, took off the back wheels and got new tires mounted, and dollied back to my house. Fortunately, the back brakes were not locked, and it is a stick, so it towed home just fine. Front tires held air just long enough to get it up on the dolly.

First order of business when I got it home was to get rid of the rat nasties. I did not want to handle the camera (or anything else) when I was gloved and masked up to clean it out, so I did not take a lot of pictures of the floorboard cleanup. However, after I cut out the drivers side seat (bolts were rusted BAD!), here is what I found on the floorboard....and this does not show the half of it. Best part was the dead crusty rat under the back seat. Speaking of which...how do you like the blue vinyl seat covers on the back seat? Everything is rusted or broken...window cranks, door handles, trim pieces. Good thing I like a challenge!

Next post...interior removal.

Thanks
Dan

wantajav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wantajav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2012 at 6:44am
good story! least there were no snakes in there

body looks fairly straight

I got a car from El Paso once and there were HUGE Black widows in the doors FYI

Edited by wantajav - Nov/11/2012 at 6:45am
sidewinder View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidewinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2012 at 7:55am
Great beginning.......keep posting!!   By the way...that's not sand....in Texas they call it desiccant don't they?  LOL.....

Chuck Page  
Chuck Page ,AKA Sidewinder
1968 "BLACK CHERRY" Javelin
Previous owner of 2013 Heritage Cup winner 1970 BBO AMX

fast401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fast401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2012 at 8:16am
Keep us posted.  This looks like an interesting project.
Disturbing the peace since 1970!!!   AMX 19245
Facebook page - AMC Nation
www.fast-401.4t.com
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2012 at 9:10am
Last century when I bought the '83 Spirit Gt and '71 Javelin, they had been sitting in a used car lot for a while. (The Javelin had been sitting in a field for over 12 years.) When I went back to pay for them. I sprinkled a box of moth balls in each so as not to import any hippagators into NJ. You do have you job cut out for you, but ain't it fun?

Later!
Mr. Ed
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2012 at 10:48am

Yes we do like to see others projects even if they take many years as mine is doing.

BTW the car does not need to be out a field  to get all the cridders. Mine got most of them sitting 50 feet from a house where I had it stored for 3 months. The picture below was at my house a year later just out side my garage and I would pass by it 2 or 3 times a week.
It was not fun cleaning out the car and finding the damage they did.

Keep us posted on the project
Dave ----

Edited by FuzzFace2 - Jun/15/2013 at 10:13am
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 20>
  Share Topic