TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1970 Javelin 401 "Orange Juice" - Edelbrock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AMoCoLite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2021 at 6:46am
I have a set of ARH for a small body...Eddy heads...no issues.

Quality product...great folks to deal with.

You have to grit your teeth a bit ($) when ordering a set...but I don’t regret it.

Thumbs Up

P.S. Killer “hat”. Wink
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2021 at 11:21am
Originally posted by sweatlock sweatlock wrote:

If they fit with no issues then they’re worth every penny and more, plus they will last. My only concerns would be discoloration of the stainless and underhood heat, but that’s true of any SS header. 
Sweatlock: You bring up a valid point. There have been numerous threads on the American Racing Headers. Yet, it has not been mentioned if the headers will clear the M12 ATF filler tube without modifying it. I emailed ARH and their reply did not provide a definitive answer. Still curious.
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
garweb3 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garweb3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2021 at 4:25pm
I have one of those "helmets" also.Wink
1974 Javelin AMX
1980 Spirit AMX
1987 Jeep Comanche Sportruck
AMX390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
AMX/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMX390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2021 at 1:34pm
Well, the alternator, power steering, water pump and radiator are out now. It's been over a month and I am still waiting for the ultimate oiling kit from Mark at Bulltear. I called after I placed the order April 2 and he said there were some parts at the plating shop and it would be a couple of weeks. So, I have time to do some other things in the mean time. I am going to replace the power steering gearbox with the old manual steering box. Right now I just want to get it back together with the Meziere electric water pump and Bulltear timing cover. I'll figure out how to make a bracket for power steering later. I also ordered the Bulltear alternator bracket, so I can mount the alternator off the intake manifold. I think that will also help. The Frostbite 4 row aluminum radiator has been ordered through Summit, but they just forward the order to Holley, who will ship it to me. Hopefully it is not back ordered. I have noticed that Summit/Jeg's/Speedway offer products to be drop shipped from the manufacturer, not really knowing if they are in stock. It takes a special effort to research if the manufacturer really has any ready to ship. Case in point, the Patriot headers I ordered from Speedway, it took a while, but I got a refund. Just as well, I am thinking hard about buying the American Racing Headers from Nick now.
Thanks,
Tom

Edited by AMX390 - May/03/2021 at 4:33pm
I love The AMC forum!

http://www.amx390.com

rockAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2021 at 10:41am
Originally posted by AMXFSTBK390 AMXFSTBK390 wrote:

Originally posted by sweatlock sweatlock wrote:

If they fit with no issues then they’re worth every penny and more, plus they will last. My only concerns would be discoloration of the stainless and underhood heat, but that’s true of any SS header. 
Sweatlock: You bring up a valid point. There have been numerous threads on the American Racing Headers. Yet, it has not been mentioned if the headers will clear the M12 ATF filler tube without modifying it. I emailed ARH and their reply did not provide a definitive answer. Still curious.

Stainless steel headers hold a lot of heat since the material is much denser than plain steel. It is true they will not rust, but they will oxidize and discolor. Many people I know who have SS headers have them ceramic coated on the inside to deal with the heat.

I would be interested to know how the AR headers fit around the stock starter. Or does one need a mini starter? I have not seen any posts on just how well they fit.
DWR
1968 AMX

AMX390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
AMX/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMX390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2021 at 11:17pm

Today I removed the cover of the Corporate 20 differential. There wasn't much oil in it and it was black. I counted to driveshaft revolutions while I turned the tire and I think the gear ratio is under 3.
Can anyone tell me about the numbers "2 19 70 A 26605X"?
I have a set of 3.54 ring and pinion, brand new. So some day, I would like to get some Doctor Diff one piece axles $300 (thanks Bryan) and an Auburn Grip-N-Loc AUB-546081 posi unit $550. I use a shop in San Diego called Pro Gear for installing.

RockAMX,
You raise some good points. I am thinking of buying a set of ARH stainless steel headers, so I will have more to say on those later. I don't plan on ceramic coating the inside though, that would add to the cost, which is already pretty high for this car's budget.
Tom

Edited by AMX390 - May/11/2021 at 4:03pm
I love The AMC forum!

http://www.amx390.com

tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2021 at 7:24am

They will NOT clear the M12 dipstick tube.  I'll be working on a fix for the tube as soon as I get the trans back in my AMX.  I test fit before removing the trans, and the ARH headers tuck up nicely, but that makes them not clear the dipstick.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2021 at 11:55am
Originally posted by tufcj tufcj wrote:

They will NOT clear the M12 dipstick tube.  I'll be working on a fix for the tube as soon as I get the trans back in my AMX.  I test fit before removing the trans, and the ARH headers tuck up nicely, but that makes them not clear the dipstick.

Bob
tufcj

That’s a bit frustrating/disappointing - ARH has stated in various posts on this forum that their headers fit perfectly and don’t require any modifications. There’s also at least one thread where even one brand of mini-starter didn’t fit - based on that, I’m not sure what chance there is for the stock starter. 

Their headers are expensive, but to me they’d be worth it if they truly did fit without any mods, but to pay over $1.5K for a set that you’ll still have issues with gives one pause. 

Personally, instead of stainless steel I’d prefer that they were made from mild steel and ceramic-coated inside and out, but that’s just me. I think it would: A.) Reduce underhood heat B.) Eliminate the potential for the stainless to discolor. 
troutwilly View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2021 at 12:22am
Because you can see both ring and pinion gears, to calculate your gear ratio, put a mark at one tooth on each gear, rotate slowly and count the number of teeth on each one, repeat for accuracy, then divide the number of ring teeth by the number of pinion teeth.  A 3.91 actually comes out to 3.909.
Bill O.
70 AMX
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2021 at 8:22am
Originally posted by AMX390 AMX390 wrote:

Today I removed the cover of the Corporate 20 differential. There wasn't much oil in it and it was black. I counted to driveshaft revolutions while I turned the tire and I think the gear ratio is under 3.
Can anyone tell me about the numbers "2 19 70 A 26605X"?
I have a set of 3.54 ring and pinion, brand new. So some day, I would like to get some Moser axles and an Auburn posi unit. I use a shop in San Diego called Pro Gear for installing.

2/19/70 is the manufacture date. 26605 is the Dana part number for a Power Lock.  I've been told the X means that the bolts in the case are left hand thread.
Clean the outside of the ring gear.    There should be numbers stamped in like 13 41 (41/13=3.15, I know that one).  If you have 2.87 ratio, the 3.54 gears will work on the carrier.  If you have 2.73, it's a unique carrier for that ratio and the 3.54s won't fit.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic