TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1970 AMX Space-Saver Spare Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davec1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1970 AMX Space-Saver Spare Question
    Posted: Dec/07/2021 at 6:06pm
Back in 1977 I bought my first 1970 AMX and the previous owner had inflated the spare tire. At the time nobody gave a $#!+ about that kind of thing. I deflated the tire and attempted to get it looking as close as possible to it's original pre-inflated look, with not much success. The tire is just not as close to the rim or as evenly spaced as it was before inflation. Fast-forward 40 years or so and I've still got that spare tire and was wondering if anyone out there might have a trick to get the tire wrapped closer to the rim, for that factory fresh look. Attached are a couple of pics as the tire looks now.

1970 AMX Bayshore Blue 390 4-spd GoPac
1970 AMX Commodore Blue 390 4-spd GoPac
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2021 at 6:35pm
I don't think it can be done. I tried a few years ago with a vacuum pump, and a belt-style ratchet clamp. The tire I was working with was fully inflated for I don't know how long. When deflated, it was lopsided-I mean that the body of the tire was no longer in line with the rim (when laying flat), and no amount of coercion, weight on the rim or anything was going to change its mind.

Good luck!
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
davec1957 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davec1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2021 at 6:40am
Thanks Paul, I thought it was probably a lost cause.
1970 AMX Bayshore Blue 390 4-spd GoPac
1970 AMX Commodore Blue 390 4-spd GoPac
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic