TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1970 AMX Resto Mod Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 17>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
johnv View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2022 at 8:54pm
Some of the interior photos

johnv View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2022 at 9:28pm
More of the same, RUST

Vehicle was transferred to the body shop by the end of June 2021 in order to be chemically treated.  Delays at the chemical treatment facility were finally resolved and vehicle was back in early October.
johnv View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2022 at 10:17pm
Well, it's back and it has lost some weight!

While going over and examining every inch of returned body and parts, I'm starting to question my own sanity in proceeding with this project.  The shop manager tells me that they have resurrected worst vehicles than this and that this is a solid car.  I'm having hard time believing his BS.

One thing about chemical treatment is that you'll get a good idea real fast as to what's remaining between the wheel wells.  If you're going to invest into restoration and have a solid vehicle for years to come this is rely a way to go.

Insanity prevails and 1970 AMX is in the queue for the face lift.

More in the coming days......

johnv View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2022 at 11:48am
Some strange floor patching considering that I've never pulled the carpet up until 26 years ago, when it was semi cleared of interior parts.

Considerable issues across the entire lower trunk area of the vehicle

the trunk area following slow acid leak and time.  This area disintegrated during the dip stages.

johnv View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2022 at 12:04pm
Full display of damage

Enough of negativity, lets move forward and get this machine back on the road!

BU1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BU1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2022 at 12:29pm
Do they dip the shell in a primer coat, or is that black just sprayed on the exposed surfaces? 
AMO #2726
#1 1968 AMX Rally Green 343 Z code 4spd since 1975 #02642
#2 1968 AMX Rally Green 290 N code 4spd since 2019 #02959
johnv View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote johnv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2022 at 5:03pm
Vehicle was fully dipped with all the paint, body filler and rust into paint removal tank, where it might sit for number of days.  It is pulled out and pressure washed and them submerged again, all depending on material build up on the body.  This phase might take number of days.

Next step is the acid bath in order to remove rust through all portions of the vehicle.  This might take number of days and once completed it's washed and dipped again into neutralizing solution.  This is a prerequisite prior to the last step which is full rust preservative treatment.

Rust inhibitor is utilized next, which is a full submersion, in order to protect body until restoration and painting is undertaken.  This final chemical treatment has preserved this body from rusting since last year.  
Average prices which I've seen when inquiring into this process range from couple of grand, depending on number of body pieces and vehicle size, to $12K.

This was an expense but it provided a bench mark of restoration effort and piece of mind knowing that you're working on the rust free project.

Hope this answers your question
johnv View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2022 at 8:03pm
October 26, 2021 the AMX has been moved to the operating table and surgery will be starting.  Hopefully the patient will recover.

Its time to close the abyss in the trunk.  

Replacement panels have been acquired during the last year in anticipation of this restoration.  

There will be considerable amount of work necessary for the trunk and rear section restoration.

johnv View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2022 at 8:43pm
November 2, some additional photos of the ongoing restoration......

Interesting seam joining from the factory, they liked plastic filler too, or lead!  There was 1/4" of filler thickness on both sides of the seam.  We'll be filling most of that with steel.

Front end including fenders is in much better shape than the trunk and portions of the cab

Both rear quarter panels will be replaced along with trunk extensions

swiss cheese

For a while I thought that technician had moved and started to live in the trunk

It's great to see replacement panels being prepped for the fitting and welding

Maybe, there is a light at the end of a tunnel!

hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2022 at 5:53pm
Nice project!!!   
Glad your going forward with the project. 
As a restoration technician on the east coast ( rust city), almost everything I have restored in the last 40 plus years had a lot of rust. I've had to replace sheet metal plus front & rear frame rails (Early Mustang). 
It's a challenge, but doable!  
I have only junked one car, a 67 Mustang Conv't after starting the rust repairs due to extensive rust. That car when stripped, the 1/4 removed, almost folded into two while sitting on jack stands. we convinced the owner to find another vehicle. 
You car looks pretty good to me, considering the location and although has a lot of rusted Sheetmetal, still looks like a good project to me ( East Coast guy  Embarrassed)o
My sons Gremlin project needed, inner & outer rockers, partial floor replacement, front & rear door corners with sheetmetal and door frame rust, fenders needed front & rear lower sections, plus the top of the fenders next to hood rust repair, the quarters need front & rear lower plus wheel arch sheetmetal and outer wheel house rust repair. Finally the right side windshield post had rusted through just above the glass. That repair required metal patches with lead repair instead of body filler repairs. The hood skin had to be removed to repair the hood frame. 
2.5 yrs of steady work (about 1800 hours) and we have a nice car. 
Always keep you eye on the finished project!!!!!  Wink
I'll be following along with your project. 
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 17>
  Share Topic