TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

196OHV head bolt torquing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittsend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2022 at 12:50pm
To that end I'm considering a steel inserts in the aluminum intake trough cover. The fact that the manifold side of the head torques through TWO gaskets to me is a problem waiting to happen.

Tom J., your builds talk about using the "Right Stuff" for every gasket (less the head gasket of course). Does that include the intake gasket as well? It would seem eliminating that gasket would be beneficial to maintaining head torque.

Edited by wittsend - Sep/06/2022 at 12:55pm
'63 American Hardtop
Hemirambler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemirambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2022 at 4:53pm
  Well I gotta say - the time spent making this tool was totally worth it!  I just did the head bolt check today and man what a breeze. One thing I failed to mention previously is that this tool also works on those end bolts where the rocker shaft is in the way. Matter of fact. It fits every head bolt minus the two that have the extended threads - which a regular deepwell works there. No offense intended, but I may chuckle every time I use this thing.

I will add this, I did get just a wee bit carried away in the overall length of the tool as it was just a wee bit long for the rear bolt under the rocker shaft as that also must fit under the welded on brace that goes from the firewall to the shock towers. I was about an 1/8" tool long to easily get the tool in and out from there. I ground off a 1/16"off each end and now its a breeze.

If you're on the fence about "wasting time" making one...I  can't urge you enough to go ahead and make one. It REALLY does make things go so much faster.  My bad back really thanks me. If your back isn't as limber as it once was, you NEED this thing! Ha ha ha

Happy Torquing!

Jacin 
1964 American Convertible (stock)
1964 American Hardtop (Not Stock)
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2022 at 11:53pm
That's w nice tool Jacin! I used ARP studs so they're 12 point 1/2" socket or box end. I searched for a crows foot for that but no deal. 

Did you just weld onto sockets?
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2022 at 11:55pm
Yeah just right stuff on the trough cover. It's an easy thing to deal. Or just keep torquing. It'll crush down in a week.the two behind the carb make it harder. 
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Hemirambler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemirambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2022 at 7:26am
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

That's w nice tool Jacin! I used ARP studs so they're 12 point 1/2" socket or box end. I searched for a crows foot for that but no deal. 

Did you just weld onto sockets?

I took a 12 point socket and cut it in half. Using two sockets welded together wouldn't work because the carb shape demanded a very short socket. I used a 12 point because I wanted more flexibility in where I could index it. I looked up the max torque a 3/8" torque wrench could handle - 80ft/lbs. So without doing any math I knew a 3/8 extension would be a reasonable size (in diameter) to handle the 60 ft/lbs we were dealing with. I didn't want to cut up a good extension so I found a similar sized piece of tool steel. Weld it in offset enough to clear the carb. Put a bolt in the vice and torqued it to 80ft/lbs as a sort of proof load to test the tool. Nothing broke or twisted so I called it good. Best 20 minutes I've spent in a long time.

They may very well sell a tool for this - I don't know. I kinda doubt one would fit ALL the hurdles we have here.

Jacin

Edited by Hemirambler - Sep/20/2022 at 7:28am
1964 American Convertible (stock)
1964 American Hardtop (Not Stock)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic