TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1969 Rebel fuel tank

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b1gbird1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1969 Rebel fuel tank
    Posted: Mar/19/2023 at 7:19am
I am in the process of purchasing my first AMC product. In looking into parts, 2 items that don't seem to be available as new replacements are fuel tanks and fuel pumps. I tried using the search function here, but didn't find much in regards to what I'm looking for. Granted, I don't know the exact condition of the tank in the car, but I'm expecting the worst as it has been off the road for years!
rgsauger View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rgsauger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2023 at 3:40pm
These guys have your pump

And welcome to the dark side! Lol

Edited by rgsauger - Mar/19/2023 at 3:44pm
rgsauger View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgsauger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2023 at 3:42pm
b1gbird1971 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b1gbird1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2023 at 9:04pm
thanks man!
rgsauger View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgsauger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2023 at 10:42pm
My pleasure.  Gonna be fun!
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2023 at 10:15am
This tank is for a later AMC, it may be useable for the AMC car you are getting, Spectra AMC1 tank

There are many suppliers out there for this tank if you don't like Amazon

Straps are available as well
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2023 at 4:04pm
The AMC1 tank won't fit a Rebel.

There is an El Camino tank that may work, look at something like a reproduction 65-66 EC tank. The fuel inlet & vent hose fittings may need to be moved to line up to the Rebel.
GrandmasRebel View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GrandmasRebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2023 at 6:46pm
Hopefully it's not as bad as you think. If it's solid, but just needs a clean & refresh, you may consider a Fuel Tank restoration kit. I actually dropped the tank on my recently acquired 68 Rebel to replace the sending unit and inspect the inside of the tank. It was obvious the tank was never dropped before. I was pleasantly surprised that the inside of the tank was near spotless. 
b1gbird1971 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b1gbird1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2023 at 8:32pm
I sure hope I am as fortunate. I'll report back once I have the chance to look inside.
Bruce Clarkson View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bruce Clarkson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2023 at 10:17pm
I believe there are rebuild kits for the fuel pumps.  I know that I had the two stage pump on my 67 rebuilt.  If you have the o stage pump (vac wipers) that's probably your option if no one has already replaced the alcohol sensitive parts.  Good luck.

Ok--- BTW, I did not have to replace the tanks on either my 67 or 68 Ambassadors.

Bruce Clarkson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic