TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1969 javelin door pillar metal.??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Repsolroger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1969 javelin door pillar metal.??
    Posted: May/23/2022 at 10:02pm
i took my passenger fender off.. and thought wow NO massive rust holes just a tiny surface rust on the bottom were its close to the door...and then cleaned out 50yrs of dust out of the inner fender trough.. they looked great....   but this was dented in...what is it .?? what is behind it.. any idea how to fix it.....?? and my pictures are always sideways sorry 

Edited by Repsolroger - May/23/2022 at 10:04pm
1969 sst javelin restomod
Repsolroger View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Repsolroger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2022 at 10:08pm
and this sheet metal piece behind the headlight .. . do i try to find another one and weld it on.?? straighten it as good as can ...in fact the fender fit really well and didnt even know until i took the fender off.. but i do need to fix it.. cause it will bother me........anyways any ideas would be helpful....i just thought it odd the fender is in great shape.. so i wonder if they replaced the fender...22+ years ago..because it has the stock white underneath the weird green they repainted the entire car with... 
JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2022 at 4:38am
I believe member javjav? that regularly sells reproduction brake booster parts here might have those sheet metal parts. I think it would be easier to drill out the spot welds and replace the damaged sheet metal parts.

J
1948kaiser View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1948kaiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2022 at 5:13am
that is accident damage that was never fixed.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2022 at 6:32am
The front is all spot welds and removing the panel, straightening and re-installing would be fairly easy.
The rear is harder as the trough, door, cowl and sub frame are spot welded to it. That piece, I would cut off were it would be easiest to straighten and access to weld back in place after straightening. Still not hard to do, just more planning and a little more difficult.
Regamble1969 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regamble1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2022 at 8:46am
I just walked out to look at mine since the fenders and everything are off too. The front piece: as Trader mentioned is pretty accessible to remove. Spot welds across it at the trough, upper and lower core supports, etc. Without really being able to assess the damage in your pictures, but looking at mine, if I was able to procure a replacement I would drill out the spot welds with a spot weld cutter and replace it. If not (just based on that picture) I would be inclined to try and fix it where it is.

The rear piece: behind that is open air for air to be ducted to the kick panel vents but then is the corner of the floor board and door jamb pillar which would concern me of secondary damage. I would take out the 1/4" screws that attach the fender seal sheetmetal and remove that piece. Then cut out all the spot welds from the lip at the cowl down to the bottom and lastly, if you can't get a spot weld cutter on the ones at the cowl body fold, use a die grinder with the thinnest cutoff wheel you can, and cut across the top to remove the piece. Then a close inspection of what's behind it will need to be done.

It looks like something with a very defined shape hit the car there (reminds me of maybe a truck with a pipe bumper). I would be inclined to spend a fair amount of time with some precise measuring tools and checking the front subframes, engine compartment box, and suspension attachment areas for secondary damage. Mine had fairly minimal damage to the drivers side just below the lower core support and my engine compartment and core support were both diamond shaped from it.
Repsolroger View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Repsolroger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2022 at 12:20pm
thanks for all the input . ill go look at it better ....thats what was confusing me.. cause the fender is in perfect shape.. and even paint matches the original color....i thought WTF did the guy run into a horizontal fence post and perfectly  go through the headlight....??? 
  but ill ask the lady who used to own it ...if she can remember 22+years ago .. if she remember what her brother did :-) .
i have a heater/fan delete kit.. so not really care if air goes were its  supposed to.. just was wondering wtf that bump was next to the door pillar...i do want to fix it..doesnt have to be 100% ..since you know what they say .. dry wall covers the plumbing :-) but ill go out and take some more stuff off and inspect what i can do ...i still think i got a pretty good deal for 800$ though.....cause when i see the prices of what people pay for rusted out bent stuff...i think im pretty fortunate..... but like someone said.... that is what the most important part to me is ... hopefully the frame is straight.....that scares me :-(
 and thats what i thought to .. maybe a truck backed into it or hit it..cause it is taller then a car bumper 

Edited by Repsolroger - May/24/2022 at 12:23pm
BU1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BU1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2022 at 1:18pm
I don't see anything there that can't be pulled and straightened. Just have your thinking cap on and plan your pulls.   
AMO #2726
#1 1968 AMX Rally Green 343 Z code 4spd since 1975 #02642
#2 1968 AMX Rally Green 290 N code 4spd since 2019 #02959
Regamble1969 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regamble1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2022 at 3:19pm
If your ability to replace sheetmetal is superior to your ability to straighten metal, this post from user JavJav has some sheetmetal parts for sale. Might still have what you need.

tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2022 at 3:34pm
Get a stud welder and slide hammer.  A lot of that can be repaired.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic