TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1969 AMX Headlight switch R & R

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBB69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1969 AMX Headlight switch R & R
    Posted: Jul/27/2022 at 11:14am
Need to replace headlight switch in my 69 AMX.  Service manual does not detail anything on R & R of switch. I have dash cowl removed and clock removed.
Need some tips on doing this. I have a new switch but never done this before.
To start, how does the knob come off the shaft ? I don't see any set screw or pin holding it on to shaft.
How best to remove switch after I get the knob off ?  I loosened screw that holds switch in place but stuck at removing knob. Don't want to force or break anything.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Ray T BBB69
Goodtimes View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Goodtimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2022 at 1:01pm
There is a button on the switch opposite the wire connector, first disconnect the battery, pull headlamp knob out to headlamps on position, depress the button on the switch, that releases the headlamp knob and shaft, pull knob out while button is pressed knob /shaft should come out of switch. hold switch from backside and remove nut holding switch to dash, disconnect wire connector check for burnt wires or damaged plug, replace switch in reverse order
69 AMX 290 4spd leather
68 AMX 390 A/T 70 front
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2022 at 1:10pm
Oh, and the switch is common switch much used most commonly on Fords. LRDaum
LRDaum
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2022 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by Goodtimes Goodtimes wrote:

... depress the button on the switch, that releases the headlamp knob and shaft...
If the shaft does not release, it's because you're not pressing hard enough on the button. I have found it to be a bit fiddly in the past.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
BBB69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBB69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2022 at 9:09pm
Switch R & R worked great with your hint.
However my problem thought to be from the constant power supplied to switch is not resolved.
The persistent electrical issue is foot-well lights do not turn off. I cleaned door switches yet the lights stay on.  I am seeing a 12 v draw on volt meter with car turned off ???? Pulling my hair out !!!!
Suggestions welcome if your good at electrical diagnosis. It's my weak spot in mechanics.

I HATE electrical Gremlins !!

bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2022 at 10:36pm
Are the dome lights on as well? Make sure the headlight switch is not rotated fully counter-clockwise. That will turn on the dome lights and courtesy lights. Just try turning it fully clockwise - that will dim the dash lights to zero.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
TX390AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX390AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2022 at 9:10pm
Also, be aware the wiring for the interior lights is always hot. The door switches just give them a ground. If there is any broken insulation/ loose wire connecting to the car body, the lights will be on regardless of the door or headlight switch. I found this on one of my 68 AMX's, interior lights were on intermittently while driving. Pulled the driver's side footwell panel and found a previous "engineer" had rewired the interior light wire with an extension for something and just left the twisted wires inside the footwell. They contacted the metal interior the panel attaches to and when grounded that way, the lights came on. Removed the offending wire, butt spliced the wire to the door switch, no mo problems!  Hope yours is this easy, the electrical gremlins can drive you nuts.

Terry
Terry
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Rally Green
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Matador Red
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Calcutta   
   Russet
56 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2016 Can AM Spyder
55 Chev pickup
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic