TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1969 232 pistons

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote americanjackie2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1969 232 pistons
    Posted: Dec/31/2022 at 11:06pm
 OK  I'm going to be rebuilding my 1969 232 I'm wanting to bring the compression Up to 9 to 1. 
 The easiest thing would be to buy a complete rotating assembly ready to Go with  Pistons that would give me this compression ratio but I do not know where to go for this purchase.
 Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2023 at 9:40am
If you find an engine rebuilder, having the heads milled 0.020" will bring your SCR 9:1 to 9.5:1 depending on head gasket and replacement pistons. Have to ensure the builder pays attention to rocker arm geometry as you may need shorter push rods.
There are lots of the older Seal Power 2333P forged pistons out there fairly cheap in STD, +0.030, +0.060 on e-bay. Don't know the SCR they will provide.
A quick search does not show a rebuilder with a long or short blocks with optional SCR pistons. Believe your in need of an engine machine shop/rebuilder to do this for you. 
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2023 at 11:38am
You should have 8.5:1 compression stock. Milling the head 0.020" should bring it up to 9:1. I think using a 4.0L head should bring it up to 8.7:1, stock for a 4.0L, close enough to 9:1. Chamber size on the 68-70 six is 62 cc, the 4.0L is 57 cc (55.2-58.2, 56.7 is average). The 4.0L head flows a lot better if you're building a performance engine. You will need shorter pushrods (one fellow reported using Ford 351 pushrods, I'm assuming Windsor, but may be Cleveland) with the 232, will need a 81+ intake, and a 4.0L exhaust header and valve cover. Can usually get all that at a junkyard for the price of a 232 specific header.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic