TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1968 RKE Trans-Am Javelin stuff

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazyamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2012 at 7:35am
LOL  That's funny!  I'm old, but not that old!   Follmers' car was being Solo1 autocrossed at the SCCA Nats in '88 I think, the car was for sale..  I recognized it for what it was, but didn't have the money..  A friend bought it sight unseen.   He's a big Shelby nut, has a '65 and a '68 500KR....  I'll try to get in touch with him this next week..    As for me and my monicker, I'm just a big fan of all the T/A cars, teams, and history.  There's just this vast 'hole' surrounding information on the '69 Kaplan cars, that they are my focus and passion right now.
Ronnie Kaplan Engineering :)
70amcpwr View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amcpwr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2012 at 8:50am
$250k was the last number I heard it sold for, don't know if it was accurate or not,
70amcpwr You just can't fix stupid.
SOLD 1970 BBO Javelin, wifes 73 AMX 360 4spd. Next project 1969 AMX
Aljav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aljav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2012 at 8:55am
Originally posted by crazyamc crazyamc wrote:

There's just this vast 'hole' surrounding information on the '69 Kaplan cars, that they are my focus and passion right now.

As AMCers we do a horrible Job on preserving AMC history. We preserve the cars but not the Data, the stories, timelines. Crazyamc and I have talked briefly and any help you can give him will help.

I am doing AMC Pro stock history research  as this is horribly filled with misinformation. I don't know how bad the Trans AM racing is for " Made up stories" are but Pro stock is just horrible. I was recently told Wally Booth ran his motor backwards..LOL.

My research has been blessed by those who own the cars and Wally himself. And its not going to end there. Its is going to be a monumental task, but I am excited. I work on it just about every night. Just ask my wife..LOLWife

Allan
69 AMX 9.86 132 mph 71 JAV/AMX and 69 Javelin, .. NAMDRA member #1106
crazyamc View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazyamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2012 at 9:10am
In '88, UNrestored T/A cars were much more reasonable, but with still a  wide price range, depending on pedigree...     The '68 Follmer car hasn't changed hands since '88, when it was bought (and delivered) for a song.....       It's weird, but the OTHER Follmer Javelin, the '72 Roy Woods car, was also Dallas-based for years.  It was owned by Mission Foods owner Juan Gonzales.(sp?)....  It sold to the West coast 'recently' ;  6-months to 2 yrs... I don't know;       250K might have been the number, but I would think it would've brought more...  I also don't know for how much or if the Revson '68 car sold for.... 250K might have been it.     Ken
naparsei View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naparsei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2012 at 9:24am
I recently bought a Trans Am Z/28. I followed the European racing (history) closely, then got into the U2 cars (learning about them), then saw a bunch the HMSA/HTA races with the O5 cars, and had to get involved. The cars are really awesome. The AMC cars had one of the best liveries, and was arguably the best "base" car to start from; plus the various efforts (RKE, Penske, RW) make the Javelin story really interesting.
crazyamc View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazyamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2012 at 9:57am
Clap VERY COOL!  I'm curious as to 'which' T/A Z28 you bought??  Have you been on camaros.org?  GREAT site and people....         I've owned and raced a '69 A/S Camaro since '91...    built as an A-sedan car in '72 by Dick Fischer in Milwaukee, he was Cen-Div A-Sedan champ in '76...       Historic Trans Am Registry # TA-025 AS...            No, it never ran a T/A event, but the registry was taking A-sedan cars back then..  It is VERY WELL restored, 98% to the '69 rules;  and for sale...    Ken
343sharpstick View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2012 at 10:00am
Originally posted by crazyamc crazyamc wrote:

LOL  That's funny!  I'm old, but not that old!   Follmers' car was being Solo1 autocrossed at the SCCA Nats in '88 I think, the car was for sale..  I recognized it for what it was, but didn't have the money..  A friend bought it sight unseen.   He's a big Shelby nut, has a '65 and a '68 500KR....  I'll try to get in touch with him this next week..    As for me and my monicker, I'm just a big fan of all the T/A cars, teams, and history.  There's just this vast 'hole' surrounding information on the '69 Kaplan cars, that they are my focus and passion right now.

True about the '69 Cars, do they exist somewhere?? Seems like the other original T/A are all acounted for. The '69 cars have unique wheel flares out back so there's no mistake what it is.
Unique hood too :)

Interesting story, I was wearing my Javelin T-shirt at the Road America Nascar race, and a fella came up to me and mentioned he use to work for Kapplan back in '68/'69! We chatted for a moment, he now lives in California, that was pretty cool.

There are some great old T/A pictures here!!

Edited by 343sharpstick - Jan/13/2012 at 10:02am
crazyamc View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazyamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2012 at 2:54pm
Well; ......  who was it? You know as well as I do that I (we) need his contact info... !!   I need Don to make me a hood, too!  I bought my block and crank from an original AMC employee, he'd owned it 41 yrs...  never seen oil or water, but getting closer...Big smile
naparsei View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naparsei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2012 at 3:14pm
I bought the Petersen car which raced in 1972.
crazyamc View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazyamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2012 at 3:17pm
Smile  Very cool!  It was on my 'watch list"....Wink    Ken
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic