TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1968 AMX steering wheel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2021 at 9:03am
Starting in the early 70s AMC offered a 3 metal spoke "Sport" wheel that was used on various models including the "X" models like the Gremlin X and Hornet X and many Jeeps. This wheel is a direct swap to the steering columns of all AMC cars starting in 1967 which used the GM-Saginaw steering columns. Since these are GM columms I strongly suspect that most regular GM steering wheels of this era will swap to our AMC columns. GM offered a simulated wood rim wheel option on Cameros, Buick GS models and maybe others as well in this same time period. This wheel had a all wood look rim and three metal spokes very similar to the AMC Sport wheel.
(The AMC Sport wheel was never offered in wood grain but it was offered with various styles and colors of a soft feel vinyl rim as well as leather wrapped later on in the 70s.) The GM horn button used with these GM wood grain wheels was about the same diameter and IIRC used the same type of horn contact and mounting arrangement for the horn "button" as used on the AMC 3 metal spoke Sport wheels. These GM "wood rim" wheels are being reproduced and I was just wondering if they would be a fit to our AMC cars and if so, if the AMC Sport wheel horn button/center cap could be used or adapted to be used with the GM wheels.

The GM wheel would not be correct for a concours stock car but could very well be a nice alternative to the original 3 spoke wood grain wheels that AMC used from 67 through 69 and the two spoke woodgrain wheels used up to 72 or so that are so hard (and expensive)to come by today.

Edited by george w - Mar/08/2021 at 9:06am
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
amc-rookie View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc-rookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2021 at 2:55pm
Found this thread, and it might work for my question(s) -
Are there different three spoke AMC wheels (other than color)? I know they had a rim-blow in 70 and sport wheel options 70+.
I have a solid condition rim/cracked hub thres spoke wheel. I need a 68 tan/woodgrain unit. Any recommendations for restoration vendors will be appreciated.
Project finally underway $$$! near-basket case 1968 AMX #2789 was 290/auto will be 343/auto

Son's car 1968 Javelin 6cyl/3 speed
Midnight Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2021 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by george w george w wrote:

Can't help with black, sorry. I have a spare red wheel that's restorable. I had a wood grain/red wheel restored by Gary's steering wheel in Carlisle, Pa. It was expensive, but he did a perfect job. The color match to the red and the wood grain could not be told from NOS. Since these wheels were molded in color try to find a black wheel. Keep in mind that AMC started using the wood grained "sport" wheel in 67. This wood grained wheel was standard on 67 Ambassador DPLs, and was optional on 67 Marlins, Rebel SSTs and Rogues. In 68 it was standard only on AMXs and Javelin SSTs. The true black wheel was used in both 67 and 68. There were no black 69 steering wheels, they were dark charcoal gray.

UGH!  My '66 still has the "spear of death" stock steering column....too bad.....

'66 American 440 Convertible 290/M-40/AMC 20 3.15/PS/PB
'04 Jeep Wrangler X Rocky Mountain Edition 4.0 5sp
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2021 at 4:08pm
There were three basic versions of the three spoke wheel AMC/Saginaw steering wheel used from 67 through 69. A one color wheel used on base models, a "sportier" version that looked like the woodgrained wheel but in solid color, but no woodgrain. This wheel had the silver divider band that separated the front side from the back side of the rim just like the woodgrained wheels have. I've seen this wheel on some 67 Marlins. Then there was the woodgrained wheel. In 1970 our cars got a different two spoke wheel design. The sport wheel was woograined and used the rim blow feature.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
AMiXmaster68 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMiXmaster68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2021 at 7:12am
I have a tan, three spoke, woodgrain wheel that I'm not using. I restored a black one and it turned out OK but after one cold season, the hub cracked again. The crack is only a hairline and I'm going to keep it for now. I was going to fix the tan one and paint it black since the rim is in pretty good shape but, I'm willing to part with it if you really want it. The hub has the typical cracks and will need a bit of work. Maybe a swap could be arranged?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic