TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1968 AMX Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2022 at 8:34pm
They are doing great work and it shows.  It's comforting to find someone who cares about the quality of their work
Chisam View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chisam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2022 at 12:10am
To get the parts for this car has taken some time . I try to use a parcel service as they take care of shipping and Customs documents. The rear deck AM emblem I got a NOS several years ago and also picked up a repro. They are close but I used the NOS. New valve covers, the original ones were still ok, some places the chrome was not good so went with the new.  The car had a GM alternator on it for some time. I got a NOS voltage regulator years ago so when the New alternators became available I got one and now all wires are in place and it works good.  
1968 AMX 390 4SP
Chisam View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chisam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2022 at 12:03am
I replaced the interior vent gaskets as some missing and worn, new Rally-Pac and Tach wiring harness so when  I had the dash apart it was a good time to replace them. I got a water neck from RobbMc and polished it, the original had some pits. New wheels, tires, center caps, lug nuts and center cap stickers. Wheels had been on the car more than 20 years, still looked good,, but up close showing some age, tires were older as well and showing some cracks. The car had spinner caps before, looked ok but went back to the original style. Wheels came with Lug Centric Balancing sticker on them.
1968 AMX 390 4SP
Chisam View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chisam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2022 at 3:04am
Backed the car out of the garage for the first time since being delivered from paint.
1968 AMX 390 4SP
Davesblue50 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesblue50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2022 at 12:22pm
Gorgeous! Looks like an exellent job.
javtopgun View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javtopgun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2022 at 8:05pm
Gotta ask , In USD , WHAT was the final bill on the Great looking AMX . Here in us it would have been 75 to 80 grand if a shop as good as the one you used there  and would have been well over a year before you got it back . May be 2 years . Of course that would have been an engine rebuild .  ??? on if interior would have been included .  Gotta give a dollar figure , PLZ !!!  
1968 Javelin SSt 343ci semi restomod .
Chisam View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chisam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2022 at 12:22am
Yes the final cost was a lot but I've owned the car for 35 years.  Engine was done at Andy Jensen's Engine Tech in Nescopeck Pa. with forged pistons, roller rockers, camshaft and head work before the car was brought over, seats were recovered and new seat foam, bumpers re-chromed, carpet replaced. The shifter was sent to Hurst and Handle re-chromed by their service. NOS tail light housings and lens and center housing. Suspension re-built, all new stainless brake lines, gas line . Engine and trunk compartment were painted. I took the car apart before the shop picked it up and put it back together after they delivered it after paint. body and paint took about 4 months, cost was 3,300.00 Euros. From the time I took it apart to being able to drive took just over 2 years . The car has a T-10T , 2.64 first gear and gear vendors overdrive , new front and rear sway bars. My garage is heated so I did work on it when cold when time allowed. My wife never cared much for the car but now that it is done she takes her friends out to the garage, uncovers it and shows it off, so that's a plus. The car turned out as well I could have hoped. Thanks to all for the comments.
1968 AMX 390 4SP
javtopgun View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javtopgun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2022 at 2:10am
Well im not great at money conversion , but all that body work and paint job for 3,300.00 eros , even when eros were like 3x the dollar ( now its about 1.25 to the dollar )  10,000 bucks at 3 times the ero , and all they did .. my lord , how can i send my car there . What a bargin for the quality of work you got . Here , that extensive body work 20,grand and that paint job another 10 to 12 grand if it is A1 quality paint job .  Min 30 grand here for just that . Rechromeing here is out ragious and getting to be on the " aint going to happen list " as fewer and fewer chromers are left in the states . 8 to 15 grand for a motor rebuild in performance close depending who u use as a builder , Redo a stock interior thru a specalty shop 10 / 15 grand .  under body clean up parts refurbished and rebushing job 4/5 grand . and the list go's on . BUY nos lights lenses housings grills and so on 5/6 grand . Wow !! Lets see 10g to have zero rust ANYWHERE , any and all bondo removed and metal fixed . A A1 paint job and lets say 4 grand to have car shiped there and back .  Give me an address !!! lol ... Just kiding !!  You did well son . Of course i dont know what you paid for the car originally , But you did well !!  
javtopgun View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javtopgun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2022 at 2:27am
Hey , go to the lounge section and then to pictures .. 4th page i think , find " try to upload a pic or 2 " . With the price of the car ( pix of my car ) i had zero body work to do except to add scoops and rear deck spoiler and front air dam and small ground effects along the side rocker panels rear window shade and tint all the glass , rebuilt engine , and semi restomod the interiorby just adding to the original interior  wheels and tires and rebushing the under body and some other little stuff here and there (  Devil is in the detail ) A tranny rebuild .. I have somewhere between 38 to 40 grand in this car and only paid rite at 15 grand for her originally . Like i said , you did very  well on the paint and body work alone. 
Chisam View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chisam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2022 at 5:08am
Well I have to say there is a little about the body and paint. The shop that did the car specializes in buying and repairing  American Ins. cars. A person who helps represent their shop lives nearby and had approached me letting them do the car as we had talked about it. He took pics. of the car, places where paint had cracked , showed them to the shop manager and he wanted to do the car but they would need to take all filler out, use the best paint and clear they could get . We agreed on 3300.00 but I was expecting more as unknown damage may be found. They didn't want any money until car was ready for paint and then only paint and clear cost. They decided to do the dent and hood and trunk lid repair to show what work they could do. They took all the pics. and I didn't know  why until they delivered the car as they asked to put their work on their site for advertisement for the kind of work they do. They did say others had looked at the work they were doing on this car and asked about getting theirs done, not for what they were doing this one for. Had the car been rusty or had it not been a special car they wouldn't have done this deal. They will get work because of what they did to this car .  I know I got cost break but mostly because of what the car is and what the shop wanted to show.
1968 AMX 390 4SP
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic