TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1968 AMX Direction Signal Problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 12Gauge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1968 AMX Direction Signal Problem
    Posted: Jun/16/2008 at 8:33am
Hi Gang:
Stage Setting:

1968 AMX 390  April build
Tilt Steering Wheel Column

Problem Description:

The front driver's side turn light AND the instrument panel turn light indicator do not function when the left hand direction light is applied (however the rear direction light does blink).

What Does Work:

1) The Emergency Flashers work fine and ALL bulbs blink (so bulbs appear good).

2) The Right Turn Flasher works  fine and the front and rear and indicator blinks.

3) The Left Turn Flasher works fine IN THE REAR LAMP ONLY.. the rear blinks BUT the instrument panel indicator does not blink nor does the front direction light.

4) The Parking lights work in both front and rear.  Having them ON or OFF makes no difference in the situation.

What Have I tried:

1) Replaced the flasher with known good one... no change.
2) Replaced the indicator lamp on instrument pod ... no change
3) Tested the front bulb and it works and reseated it and applied dielectric grease ... no change

The TSM wiring schematic really does not help me much in isolating what could be causing BOTH the indicator AND ONLY the front direction lamp from working.  It seems that the wiring to the front and rear blinker separate at a junction somewhere but I just cannot figure out where this junction is. 

Any help or trouble shooting ideas on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Edited by 12Gauge - Jun/16/2008 at 8:38am
Art In Connecticut

Nothing Lasts Forever... If you give it enough TIME

1968 AMX 390 4-Speed

1991 ERA Cobra Replica - 428 & Toploader

2016 Tesla P90D with Ludicrous Mode

2011 Volvo XC60
KermitDRambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KermitDRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2008 at 7:06pm
You have a bad switch. If memory serves, the same wire feeds the dash light and front bulb. If you look at the main diagram, the pinout for the column connector, and the pinout for the dash connector, you'll be able to see how everything is connected.

Matt
1967 American wagon

http://www.mattsoldcars.com
12Gauge View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 12Gauge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2008 at 5:48am
Hi Matt:
Wow... you are right!
Humm... changing the direction light switch seems a bit difficult but I am sure I can handle it.

Question...  if I get a new switch, do the new switches come with the semi-circular pinned connector at the end of the wire loom? 

Art
Art In Connecticut

1968 AMX 390 4-Speed

2011 Volvo XC60
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KermitDRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2008 at 8:31pm
They do have that connector on them. You'll need to remove it and feed the wires through the column. If you cuss a lot, make sure there are no small kids around when you do that part. I've been blessed with three bad replacement switches (the broken original is back in it and has the same problem you do but on the passenger side) and it doesn't get easier with practice. Take a look at http://www.mattsoldcars.com/RestoreAmerican/turnsignalswitch.shtml for more info on doing this.

Matt
1967 American wagon

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2008 at 9:10pm
There's a special tool for EASILY removing those end connectors, or a VERY thin small bladed screwdriver works.
Keep track of the order of the wires in the connector.
I used to replace dozens of those in all brands. It's not all that tough, just be patient, I used to tape the wires flat and together and feed them as one down the column.
12Gauge View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 12Gauge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2008 at 8:06am

Matt and Bill D!

Thanks ever so much for your input on this.  Also Matt, is that your web site that you pointed me to regarding the Turn Signal Switch procedure?  It is great and very timely.

Much Thanks,

Art In Connecticut

1968 AMX 390 4-Speed

2011 Volvo XC60
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KermitDRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2008 at 9:50pm
That is my website. Since Javelins and AMXs are just glorified RamblersWink, a lot of that stuff applies.

Matt
1967 American wagon

12Gauge View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 12Gauge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2008 at 6:21am
Well you have done us all a big favor and service with your website. 
I know how hard it is to keep things like that up to date and such.
Again Thanks Matt!
12Gauge View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 12Gauge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2008 at 6:30am
The problem has been resolved!

Got a new direction switch from APD, and installed it this weekend.
All systems are go and it works perfectly.
Snaking the wire ribbon down into the steering column was not too difficult at all.

In fact the most dificult part was removing the pressed in connectors from the connector fixture.

So I got blinkers, lights, indicators and emergeny flashers all working.

Horn too!

Thanks to all!
SmilesSmileEmbarrassed
Art In Connecticut

1968 AMX 390 4-Speed

2011 Volvo XC60
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic