TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1968 AMX Connecting harness from rear to dashboard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1968 AMX Connecting harness from rear to dashboard

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackb67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1968 AMX Connecting harness from rear to dashboard
    Posted: Sep/25/2022 at 10:40am
Trying to figure out why I have no tail lights, fuel gauge etc. Went under the dash and found the six wire plug from the rear of the car and the matching one from the dash, only problem is that both modular plugs are male!! Is something missing or is it a harness issue?
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2022 at 12:00pm
Your missing the female end. It's a harness issue.
If it's new I'm not surprised.
Over the last few years the number of major electrical mess ups has just been astounding. My Son's work place is renovating a new work area and bought dozens of new electrical panels and breakers from one supplier. Well the panels got installed, but not a single breaker would fit the new panels. 10 week delay for new breakers. 
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2022 at 2:42pm
If memory serves me correctly (and it may not) the connector for the rear harness is behind the left kick plate.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
mackb67 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackb67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2022 at 3:01pm
I had no problem finding the wires going by the wiring schematic in the shop manual. High up in front of the door frame opening through a hole is the rear body harness consisting of the modular male 6 pin plug plus a separate black wire with a female bullet connector(which I believe is for the interior light), coming down from the dash is another modular male 6 pin connector with identical wires except the orange wire has a white tracer. None of the wires look brand new. A lot of money was put into this car before I got it but many little things, such as rear lighting were never tackled.  Still trying to figure out why the fuse panel is where it is.
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2022 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by mackb67 mackb67 wrote:

Trying to figure out why I have no tail lights, fuel gauge etc. Went under the dash and found the six wire plug from the rear of the car and the matching one from the dash, only problem is that both modular plugs are male!! Is something missing or is it a harness issue?
Take a closer look at the connectors. If it is the OEM AMC style then the "male" pins interlock, or should I say overlap, each other when the connectors are in the correct orientation. It is hard to describe but the pins on one side slide under the pins from the other side. Best I can do without pictures.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
mackb67 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackb67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2022 at 11:40am
I see what you mean, thank you. Now to sort out the rest of the under dash wiring
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic