TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1968 AMX Automatic Neutral Safety Switch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9T68AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1968 AMX Automatic Neutral Safety Switch
    Posted: Sep/25/2021 at 4:20pm
Went to start my car the other day and it would not start, not even turn over. Moved the floor shifter back and forth and tried starting it again and still nothing. Put shifter in neutral and the car started right up. I assume the neutral safety switch failed. Ordered a new switch and it is a screw-in type switch with two stud type terminal ends. I didn't find anything in my TSM on this type switch. Can someone confirm if I have the correct switch before I remove my console only to find out I have the wrong switch.

TIA
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2021 at 5:14pm
I believe the screw in type switch for for the AMC version of the Mopar automotive type transmission.
The Borg-Warner type switch used in a 1968 AMX and Javelin with console mounted shifter  use to be hard to get but the major AMC vendors do have them now I understand. Who did you get the switch from ? If the local auto parts store then they probably ordered the wrong one. LRDaum 
LRDaum
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2021 at 6:18pm
If you could it to start in neutral, but not in park, then the switch is OK. You need to adjust the shifter position to get it to work in park.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
9T68AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9T68AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2021 at 11:34pm
I got the new switch from my local O'Reilly Auto Parts store. The same switch is sold by APP. At least it looks just like the switch shown in their on-line catalog. I have found that O'Reilly's carries parts for my AMX, or they can get them, and the parts come with their lifetime warranty and are more reasonably priced than some of their competitors. 

What I'm wondering is which neutral safety switch my car has? The TSM shows a different style switch than what the parts suppliers show. Has anyone changed theirs on a 1968 AMX with a console shift automatic who can tell me which switch is used on my car?
BU1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BU1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2021 at 9:23am
Your switch should look similar to this. APD has them.
AMO #2726
#1 1968 AMX Rally Green 343 Z code 4spd since 1975 #02642
#2 1968 AMX Rally Green 290 N code 4spd since 2019 #02959
9T68AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9T68AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2021 at 9:52am
Thanks for the photo. That is not the switch that I have. Will have to order it. Thanks again.
9T68AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9T68AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2021 at 2:30pm
Removed my console and confirmed that I had the wrong switch. I'll have to order the correct switch today. 
Midnight Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2021 at 3:23pm
Center the switch and reset the gear select per the TSM.  It could be out of alignment enough to not start but the parking pawl still catches.

Are your reverse lights still going on?

'66 American 440 Convertible 290/M-40/AMC 20 3.15/PS/PB
'04 Jeep Wrangler X Rocky Mountain Edition 4.0 5sp
9T68AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9T68AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2021 at 10:18pm
I'll try and re-center the switch tomorrow after checking the reverse lights.
9T68AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9T68AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2021 at 11:31pm
Just checked before going to bed and the back-up lights work with the shifter in reverse. So the car starts in neutral and the back-up lights work with the shifter in reverse, but will not start in park. Tomorrow I'll attempt to see if I can re-center the shifter so it starts in park again. I'm not sure what caused the shifter to get out of alignment, if that is the issue. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic