TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1968 AMX 343 4-speed Revival - 1 owner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68 AMX Revival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2022 at 8:33am
Originally posted by BU1 BU1 wrote:

Looking good, John! Be aware, there is a thin flat washer that goes on the nylon tip of the clutch rod, before the foam seal goes on. Not sure why the vendors don't sell this along with the seals. It is shown in the linkage drawing in the parts book. 

Thanks, Scott!
I see a washer shown for the 70, but not for the 68.  Do you have a picture that shows it?

John

Edited by 68 AMX Revival - Nov/30/2022 at 8:35am
BU1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BU1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2022 at 8:55am
Not able to post a pic right now. 

Group 5.187-6
 Part 400 1102
 13/32 ID
 11/16 OD 
 1/16 Thick
 Cad plated

I found one that was close at the hardware store. Just had to enlarge the ID a bit.
AMO #2726
#1 1968 AMX Rally Green 343 Z code 4spd since 1975 #02642
#2 1968 AMX Rally Green 290 N code 4spd since 2019 #02959
68 AMX Revival View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 68 AMX Revival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2022 at 9:32am
Update:
Pulled the passenger side door card to lube up the window and locks.  Unfortunately, while cranking the window down, the rear channel came off the window… Crap.  So, I pulled the window out and took it to the local glass shop to get the channel reattached.  The front one was solid, so I decided to leave it be. While the window was out, I cleaned all the tracks and freed up the lock mechanism.  Putting it all back together was a fairly long process, but I got it done.  It all works well now.  The armrest on this side was broken in several pieces when I got the car, and I wasn’t prepared to buy a reproduction.  Well, I found an inexpensive plastic welder kit on that jungle website, so I figured, why not try to repair it?  I smeared some epoxy on the cracked joints and welded them up with my new tool.  It worked great, and the plastic armrest structure is very solid now!  I didn’t get around to reinstalling the vinyl cover, but I think someone with more skills than myself could do it.  At least the door can be closed easily from inside now.

Also installed new shifter boot and trim ring over Terry’s beautiful reproduction shift lever.  Looks and works fantastic now!

I decided to pull out the ashtray, and found a surprise!  Several 25+ year old cigarette butts, and a virgin trunk key.  Cleaned it up and lubed up the slide mechanism.  Hopefully, it will never be used for cigarettes again…

I got the new turn signal switch plate and installed it, so the blinkers work properly, and reinstalled the steering wheel.  I also pulled the instrument cluster out to gain access to install a new clutch over center spring (pain in the butt, by the way). Installed the new lower clutch pushrod, and adjusted everything to my satisfaction.

At this point, all that was left to do is take it for a ride… Happy to report that it runs and drives very well. Suspension is tight, with no rattles.  Brakes work fantastic, stops easily and no pulling. Steering is way too light for my liking, but that’s the way they did power steering back then, I guess…

John

Edited by 68 AMX Revival - Dec/11/2022 at 10:02am
BU1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BU1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2022 at 10:07am
Looking good, John!!!  You've come along way. Nothing better than that first drive. 

( I am envious of that factory AM-FM) Thumbs Up
AMO #2726
#1 1968 AMX Rally Green 343 Z code 4spd since 1975 #02642
#2 1968 AMX Rally Green 290 N code 4spd since 2019 #02959
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 68 AMX Revival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2022 at 10:19am
Originally posted by BU1 BU1 wrote:

Looking good, John!!!  You've come along way. Nothing better than that first drive. 

( I am envious of that factory AM-FM) Thumbs Up

Thanks, Scott!  The AM/FM actually works, but the speaker sounds like crap!  Anyway, who needs music when you’ve got a 343 4-speed to listen to?

John
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 68 AMX Revival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2022 at 12:23pm
Well, yesterday was a bittersweet day… The 68 AMX was picked up by the transporter, and is currently on its way to Houston. I pretty much completed everything I set out to do.  The car runs good, suspension and brakes are like new.  Tires and wheels are new. All lights and turn signals work properly. The paint has been brought back to looking presentable, compounded and polished. The car is, in my opinion, safe to drive, and hopefully reliable. It’s 55 years old, after all… The cosmetic work will be up to my Niece.  I like the idea of keeping it as a survivor, with a little bit of localized body repair, and some freshening up in the interior.  But that’s not my call.  I just hope she finds it enjoyable to drive, and that it brings her fond memories of days gone by with her father.

I’ll try to add some updates once the car is in her hands, and she lets me know how she likes it.  

I’d like to thank everyone on the Forum who helped me along the way, sharing you valuable knowledge and experience.  I’ve learned a lot about these cars, and this experience was very enjoyable and fulfilling. I’ll still be hanging out in the Forum, watching other builds, and trying to help out where I can.

Thanks again,
John

Edited by 68 AMX Revival - Dec/11/2022 at 10:28pm
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2022 at 12:39pm
Great job! I am impressed by your devotion to family.
6t8amxetc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 6t8amxetc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2022 at 4:28pm
I'd say with all that newly found wisdom and experience you ought to get one for yourself!ShockedShocked
garweb3 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garweb3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2022 at 5:16pm
That jungle website. I like thatLOL
1974 Javelin AMX
1980 Spirit AMX
1987 Jeep Comanche Sportruck
Johnvelin View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnvelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2022 at 9:38pm
Where did you get your parking brake cables?
QUOTE=68 AMX Revival]Update:
I got the differential pressure switch out and disassembled.  One of the pistons was a little corroded, but I think it cleaned up alright.  Bought a rebuild kit with new o-rings, springs, etc. Installed new rear brake hardware, and put the old wheels back on to check the stance.  New wheels are about a week out.  Also installed all new parking brake cables, and got that adjusted.  I need to get the new wheels and tires on to be sure, but I think I’m going to keep the old front springs in for now.  The stance looks pretty good.

John

[/QUOTE]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic