TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1968 1969 AMC Tachometer Repair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote artworks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2022 at 5:31pm
Yes, I have seen that one, looks like a good way to lose $300+ bucks if it won't work, and cannot be returned.  If I could find one aftermarket, one that would fit & work, I would go that way.   Where did you see that VDO 333-151 ?
I wrote to a company that may have a internal working replacement that could be programed for the car, as per another forum responder, but I am  still awaiting their response.
Thanks,
Art
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2022 at 8:53am
Bought my VDO 333-151 at a local parts store years ago. They are listed on Amazon, but no stock. Found this:
artworks View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote artworks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2022 at 9:44am
Thanks, Trader, I'll check it out, they are hard to find!
Bravebull
artworks View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote artworks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2022 at 10:52am
I guess my handle is Artworks, too many sites with ID's
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2022 at 2:52pm
That Urevco tach replacement seems like an excellent solution, except for one thing… The AMC Faria made tach does not use a shaft and a separate pointer. Farina’s taut band design incorporates the pointer and the tach movement armature into a single, plastic piece.so the Faria pointer can not be used as is. It may or may not be possible to have a machinist or a watchmaker modify the Faria pointer/armature by cutting the armature off the pointer drilling the pointer to accept the new movements shaft. Another possibility would be if Urevco may offer some accessory pointers that could be used in such situations. Another is to make a suitable pointer using 3D printing. I’m not sure if the Urevco movement requires a zero balanced pointer. If so, that would need to be taken into consideration. In any event this solution does offer a ray of to those who have broken Faria tachs.
Just as an FYI, Faria made tachs for other manufacturers during the same period. For example, they made the tach for the 65 & 66 Mustang Rally Pac option that attached and straddled the the Mustang’s steering column. I believe, but am not sure, that they made the Rebel Machine hood tach and possibly others as well. They also sold an aftermarket version of their tachs, which at the time was highly rated for accuracy.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
artworks View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote artworks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2022 at 3:37pm
Wow, good info.  I haven't been able to get a response from the maker, but did watch a couple of videos showing conversions.  I will snoop arounf for the Rebel and Ford tachs.  Thanks!
Artworks  

dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2022 at 8:51am
Try one of these Vendors:

Bob’s Speedometer  (Since 1929)

10123 Bergin Rd, Howell, MI 48843 

Phones:    (810) 632-0400    (800) 592-9673 

Scott Speedometer Service Corporation  (Since 1953)

196 West Walton Rd, Pontiac, Michigan 48340  

Phone: (248) 338-4148 

Email: speedoshop@sbcglobal.net

Instrument Specialties (Interior Component Restorations)

65 Foliage Drive, N. Kingston, RI 02852  

Phone: (401) 267-0055    

Email:   sales@instrument-specialties.com

Edited by dltowers - Apr/10/2022 at 9:21am
Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
artworks View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote artworks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2022 at 11:15am
These look like some good leads, thanks!
Artworks
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2022 at 4:24pm
Add this one to the list : https://www.clocksandgauges.com/contact-us.html Instrument Services Incorporated in Illinois . I used them ages ago with good luck on my Tachometer. LRDaum
LRDaum
artworks View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote artworks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2022 at 9:22pm
Thanks, I will contact the Speedometer shop you mentiomed.
Artworks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic