TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1968 1969 AMC Tachometer Repair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote celcius232 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2019 at 9:31pm
The VIN is A9C797T173***

Based on the post about 1969 production numbers, it was built in mid-November 1968. It is a Regatta Blue SST model with a 343.

I do not have any detailed history on the car, but I believe that it was parked with about 70K miles on it and it had never been apart before I started restoration. I did not find a build sheet as the interior was baked.   

It has the correct small harness to connect the tach. As it was discussed, it may have been a dealer addition.

1980 Jeep CJ-7 258 (sold)
1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 360 (sold)
1976 Pacer 258 (sold)
1973 Ambassador 401 (sold)
1973 Jeep Commando 304 (sold)
1969 Javelin SST 343
1968 AMX 390
1971 Hurst Jeepster
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2019 at 9:34pm
"There MAY have even been a 6 cylinder version of this tach."  Correct.  Look at the back of the case for a stamp that will say V-8 or 6-cylinder.
Mike
rodhhrod View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodhhrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2019 at 9:35pm
Here is an option for your car, if the pic goes through
69 setup, new decals, rebuilt speedo and tach tested and worked just fine at the time. Everything has been tested and calibrated to factory specs. If interested PM me and we will go from there.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2019 at 9:35pm
I am reporting what the 1969 Data Book says.  My Data Book lists the 343 (or 390) engine dual exhaust, power front disk brakes, E70x14 redline tires, 6-inch rim wheels, handling package and dual hood scoops.  The 140 speedo and tach combo was available as a separate option.   The small tach fitting the clock hole was not listed as a factory option.  It was listed as a dealer installed option. 

As a separate issue the 6-inch rim width wheels (listed in the Go Package) are not listed as magnum styled wheels, but magnum styled wheels were available as a separate option.   I have a V8 Javelin which has the 6-inch rim width normal steel wheels.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2019 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by mmaher94087 mmaher94087 wrote:

"There MAY have even been a 6 cylinder version of this tach."  Correct.  Look at the back of the case for a stamp that will say V-8 or 6-cylinder.
   Mike I have a 6-cylinder version of that tach here at home.  Unfortunately it needs to be repaired.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2019 at 10:38pm
What I am saying and cannot confirm because I am not in possession, but have seen, 2 different types of build sheets for 69.
One looks like the 68 with all the options available for 68. Including the tach for clock delete.
69 was a very mixed option year as AMC was introducing as they were producing.
Only someone with the build sheets from a very early 69 could verify if the Javelin  SST or Base could have the clock delete tach option like 68.
The sheets I saw were factory option and not dealer install.
Someone would have to confirm or squash this by showing factory 69 build sheets from late 68.

I am only stating what I have "seen" and do not have the indisputable "proof". 
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2019 at 8:30am
That tach looks to be in really nice shape. On the two that i have the reflective paint on the glass is all dried up and peeling off. 
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
67 Marlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2019 at 11:39pm
The only place I found that would touch my Faria tach is Instrument Specialties in Rhode Island. 
darnelld View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darnelld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2019 at 8:37am
Hello Friends

A side question (not trying to high jack).. I purchased a restored original clock for my 1969 javelin with a factory clock delete, but the dash pad doesn't seem to fit when the clock is installed with its glass face on. Is there a trick to this? I can always remove the glass and install it, but it seems like it should go in as a module

Thanks!

Dean

george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2019 at 10:25pm
Something doesn't sound right. The factory clock and the small tach that fit's into the same opening are the same physically as far as the dash overlay is concerned. There is a "trick" though in installing the dash overlay. You have to engage the two locating tabs on the top edge of the overlay in the corresponding slots in the dash frame while holding the overlay at about a 20 degree angle from vertical with the bottom of the overlay pulled rearward. The tabs will "seat" and bottom into the slots and then the overlay will swing down and slip into place.

Just as an FYI, all model year 69 and 70 AMXs came standard with the 140mph speedo with the tach as part of the instrument cluster. The clock was optional by itself over the counter or as part of the visibility group if factory installed. This speedo/tach cluster was a factory option on the 69 and 70 Javelins. The small tach was factory installed as standard only on the 68 AMX. It was an option on the 68 Javelin. The build sheet code was "TAC" and the sticker price was $ 48.05 It was also available as an over the counter dealer installed item on 69 and 70 Javelins that had the standard 120mph speedo with the gas and temp gauge on the right side. If you ordered a 68 Javelin with the visibility group AND the tach then you would not have received the clock and the sticker cost of the visibility group was reduced from $ 40.50 to $ 26.80. The visibility group cost for the 68 AMX was also $26.80 as the tach was standard.

If you wanted a clock in a 68 AMX (or Javelin with a tach) you would have had to add the Rally Pac (dealer accessory) and not have ordered factory air.

Edited by ramblinrev - Apr/09/2022 at 12:12pm
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic