TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1968 1969 AMC Tachometer Repair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote celcius232 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1968 1969 AMC Tachometer Repair
    Posted: Jan/14/2019 at 4:46pm
My 69 Javelin SST came with a factory in-dash tachometer that I would like to have repaired/restored or a conversion done to enable it to work again. I plan to run a stock distributor in the 343 with a Petronix conversion. Any recommendations on who has experience with these?

Edited by ramblinrev - Apr/09/2022 at 12:09pm
1980 Jeep CJ-7 258 (sold)
1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 360 (sold)
1976 Pacer 258 (sold)
1973 Ambassador 401 (sold)
1973 Jeep Commando 304 (sold)
1969 Javelin SST 343
1968 AMX 390
1971 Hurst Jeepster
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2019 at 6:10pm
Is that not a 68 tach?
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2019 at 6:12pm
Others will have ideas of who can repair that tach. One thing though, it is not a factory tach for your car. That is the 68 tach that went into the clock housing. Often if a car did not come factory with a tach, AMC dealers would put that into it because AMC clock housings were standard for years. My guess is that someone at the dealership did exactly that. The factory tach came with a 140 mph speedo as well and was in the large housing to the right of the speedo.

Nice piece and probably installed new or near to it back in the day, but not factory.

Chris
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2019 at 6:30pm
Isn't that tach a factory tach for a 68 AMX? If so, was it also available in a 68 Javelin? I realize his car is a 69, and that is not correct for 69.

Edited by Sonic Silver - Jan/14/2019 at 6:33pm
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2019 at 7:09pm
The tach was standard in 68 AMX's and optional in Javelins but it could also be bought over the counter to be installed in 69 and 70 Javelins that were not factory equipped with the 140 speedo and tach cluster. There MAY have even been a 6 cylinder version of this tach.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2019 at 7:12pm
Faria Corp. in Connecticut made the tach and while they're still in business I don't believe they can repair these.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2019 at 7:15pm
Try these guys. They did a great job converting my Tick Toc tach for my Javelin. https://redlinegaugeworks.com/

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2019 at 8:38pm
Another place is:

I believe early 69 SST Javelins and Base could be ordered with the tach in the clock delete. Go-Pack was introduced beginning of 69 and the Big Bad was mid 69.
Check your production date code, I believe if yours is the first 2 months of production run, that tach is likely an original order.
I believe even the build order sheets for 69's changed December 68 or January 69.
You will have to post this in the restoration section to get the experts to verify or quash this.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2019 at 9:15pm
According to the 1969 Data Book that tach which fits in the clock hole on the dash was not available as a factory option in 1969.  It was available as a dealer installed option.   Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2019 at 9:17pm
Trader,

Are you saying that the 140 speedo and tach cluster was available a bit later in the model year and early cars had the clock housing tach, like a '68? That makes sense, as options were introduced later in the model year all the time. 

I don't believe the tach had anything to do with the Go Package in a Javelin though. The 140 speedo and tach cluster was a separate option with the Javelin, but standard on an AMX I believe. I guess early in the 69 model run an AMX or a Javelin would have had the clock housing tach no matter what, but after the cluster was introduced, did the AMX not have that as standard? 

Go Package Javelins were optioned a bit differently than AMX's. As a general rule, 68-70 AMX's had limited slip differentials and HD cooling included, but Javelins had them as separate options.

Chris 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic