TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1967 232 clutch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramblin67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1967 232 clutch
    Posted: Jun/19/2021 at 10:12pm
Hello, daily driver in need of some help. I have a 1967 American Rambler with a 232 and, if I remember right, the T96 3 speed transmission. The clutch is beginning to slip and I can't seem to find one. Does anyone know where to purchase a new clutch kit from, or am I stuck having to get the one I have rebuilt? There's a place local to me that can rebuild it, but if I can get one to just replace with, I'd rather do that. This is currently my only running car and I do need it every day, so the less down time the better. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by Ramblin67 - Jun/19/2021 at 10:33pm
Joseph Lamb View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joseph Lamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2021 at 6:28pm
Good evening !!!

I sold clutches in the Tampa area for over 30 years and I know quite a few folks . My first question is do you KNOW for certain what is currently in place ???

The diameter of the clutch cover and the disc .

the spline count on the disc .

and the style of pressure plate currently in service , three finger operation or a diaphragm pressure plate ???

I may be able to locate a set for you , just hate to find out that it does not fit because somebody swapped out something somewhere along the line .

let me know !!!
1971 Javelin 360 SST
1973 RS Z28 350 L82 4SPD 38
YEARS

1958 Chevy Biscayne 235 powerglide
1997 Jeep TJ 151 5 speed
1960 Lark Convertible
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2021 at 6:58pm
I have a reman clutch disc from my '70 Javelin's 232 that I have never used. Pretty sure it had a T14. I'm unfamiliar with these transmissions, so if someone pipes up, and it's the same, I'll sell it.
Ramblin67 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramblin67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2021 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by Joseph Lamb Joseph Lamb wrote:

Good evening !!!

I sold clutches in the Tampa area for over 30 years and I know quite a few folks . My first question is do you KNOW for certain what is currently in place ???

The diameter of the clutch cover and the disc .

the spline count on the disc .

and the style of pressure plate currently in service , three finger operation or a diaphragm pressure plate ???

I may be able to locate a set for you , just hate to find out that it does not fit because somebody swapped out something somewhere along the line .

let me know !!!

Well, I took it apart yesterday because I thought I had found one. It has a 9.5" 10 spline clutch disc with a three finger pressure plate. What I purchased was not this. The flywheel is drilled for both the 9.5 and the 10.5 clutch and pressure plate, but the larger diaphragm style did not fit in the bellhousing. I ended up having to put the old one back in. Thankfully not that big of a job being I can use the lift at work. Also found what is in it isn't all that bad, but the clutch rod was adjusted too long and keeping constant pressure and never fully releasing. That fixed a lot of it, but would still like a spare just in case.
First_Gear View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2021 at 2:21pm
I'm constantly browsing ebay for parts. These do show up relatively frequently NOS.
First_Gear View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2021 at 2:24pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic