TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1966 Rambler American 220

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2021 at 4:59pm
Weekendrambler, the air cleaner I have measures 2.25", by way of a tape measure. I can use a caliper to be more precise. Pm if you are interested, and I can take pictures.
weekendclimber View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weekendclimber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2021 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by 232jav3sp 232jav3sp wrote:

Weekendrambler, the air cleaner I have measures 2.25", by way of a tape measure. I can use a caliper to be more precise. Pm if you are interested, and I can take pictures.

Definitely interested. I think that's about the right size, the Holley 1940 measures 2 7/32" which is within a margin of error:

AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weekendclimber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2021 at 7:07pm
First video in the series of restoring and spicing this car up. Not sure how long it will take but it's not the destination, it's the journey.

AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weekendclimber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2021 at 12:56pm

I've been slowly going over stuff in the power barn. I took the carburetor off and rebuilt it with a kit from Mike's Carburetor Parts. During that process, I found some interesting things on the throttle body linkage that I'm certain are not factory. From what I understand, the Holley Model 1940 is not factory, so I'm guessing it was hacked together in order to make it work.

Carb off:

That's not factree:

All cleaned up and rebuilt:

Also got it up on jacks to confirm which transmission it has and it has been replaced. Still has the factory original T-96 3 speed:

Popped open the valve cover as well to see if it was obvious that the valve seals were leaking. There was some rust and sludge on the top end that is going to need to be cleaned up, so it was hard to determine if it is the indeed the valve seals:

I did a video on rebuilding the carburetor that will hopefully help someone else down the road if they do this themselves:

garweb3 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garweb3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2021 at 5:40pm
I would try Goof Off to try and clean the door tag. If that doesn't work carefully try lacquer thinner.
1974 Javelin AMX
1980 Spirit AMX
1987 Jeep Comanche Sportruck
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weekendclimber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2021 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by garweb3 garweb3 wrote:

I would try Goof Off to try and clean the door tag. If that doesn't work carefully try lacquer thinner.

I've not thought of that. Thanks for the suggestion👍
JimBeau View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimBeau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2022 at 10:30pm
Hi Ollie -

Do you still have your brake drums?

Thanks.

Jim
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weekendclimber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2022 at 9:49am
I haven't made much progress yet. I did find that the engine is pretty much toast. Working on figuring out a cool swap for it :-)
Midnight Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2022 at 10:02am
Originally posted by weekendclimber weekendclimber wrote:

I haven't made much progress yet. I did find that the engine is pretty much toast. Working on figuring out a cool swap for it :-)

Bonus that you already have pedals and clutch linkage! 

'66 American 440 Convertible 290/M-40/AMC 20 3.15/PS/PB
'04 Jeep Wrangler X Rocky Mountain Edition 4.0 5sp
maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2022 at 7:47am
You might get ahold of ollie if you pm him.
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic