TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1966 232 water pump

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stingray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1966 232 water pump
    Posted: May/02/2021 at 9:29pm
Hi All,

Is the water pump on a 1966 232 (Rogue auto) the same as later like 1967 and up?

My searching suggests they are different and may not be interchangeable.

Beer
Joe
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2021 at 9:50pm
You should check with American Parts Depot or Kennedy American.
I believe your '66 should match MOST 64-70 199/232 pumps. It was the '65 American (where they crammed the longer 232 engine into the short engine bay) that had the odd-ball short shaft pump. In '66 they lengthened the engine bay, IIRC.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed
Stingray View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stingray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2021 at 12:47am
Thanks ramblinrev,

That is very useful information.  I'll check out those contacts and see what I can verify.

Cheers,
Joe
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2021 at 6:04am
Pump changed in 74 when the accessory mounts changed. Bolt pattern is the same, but the sizes of bolts changed -- mainly those used to mount accessory brackets were enlarged. 64-73 should be the same, or close. There may be some differences over the years such as shaft lengths. Standard mechanical fans usually have a longer shaft pump then those made for clutch fans, for one. That would make the hub different as well. Placement of the heater hose may vary, but that's usually an easy fix -- may require a slight re-routing of one of the hoses and/or a different nipple in the pump.
Frank Swygert
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2021 at 7:23am
Careful, Frank! Pump had a minor change in '70. Big change was '75, not '74! See American Parts Depot catalog for specifics.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed
Stingray View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stingray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2021 at 7:59pm
Thanks All,

Looks like the 64-70 pump will do the job according to American Parts Depot.

I appreciate the help.

Beer
Joe

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2021 at 7:08am
Memory... yeah, 74 was last year of older pump bolt pattern, not first of new!
Didn't know about the 70 change though.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic