TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1964 Rambler Classic brake grabbing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1964Rambler022321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1964 Rambler Classic brake grabbing
    Posted: Jul/07/2021 at 1:13pm
Looking for some ideas.

1964 AMC Rambler Classic 770 V8 287

All brakes are working but the front right is extra sensitive.
As you get close to stopping the front right grabs hard.
During braking you can feel the front right pulling.

Where might I try first?

Thanks!!

Michael and Karen
Goodtimes View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goodtimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2021 at 2:44pm
First check brake adjustment and adjust per service manual, check for leaking wheel cylinders (backing plate and drum lip would look wet) brake fluid acts as a lubricant when it gets on brake shoes, left front wheel cylinder could be leaking causing right front brake to do all the work, causing the pull.
69 AMX 290 4spd leather
68 AMX 390 A/T 70 front
troutwilly View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2021 at 11:08pm
Could it be one of those cases where the brake shoes were installed backwards....leading shoe on the rear instead of the front and trailing shoe on the front?
Bill O.
70 AMX
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2021 at 12:24am
Yeah... context. Did this suddenly start after working right for years? Did you just do some brake work? Is it a new car to you? Etc.. what went on before.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2021 at 2:48am
You'll just have to pull both brakes apart and thuroughly inspect them for anything that is out of order or different from side to side that would cause unequal braking. 

It could be something really obvious like an adjuster failing to operate properly or damaged brake shoe linings. 

Or, it could be something really hidden that you must be very attentive to detail to find. I fought a brake pull on our 1965 Ambassador for YEARS until I decided to pop the boot off the wheel cylinders and measure them. The parts store sold me two different size wheel cylinders even though they were the same part numbers on the boxes! You have to really watch for things like that. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
First_Gear View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2021 at 10:27am
Did you swap the right and left adjusters? One screws clockwise and one counterclockwise. They both look the same. It's easy to make a mistake. Also might need to bleed air out of the system. I had grabbing brakes on my nova and after I bled them the problem went away.
1964Rambler022321 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1964Rambler022321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2021 at 12:43pm
TroutWilly - That is what was found when we brought it home a couple months ago.
The shoes have since been put on correctly.
Is it possible since they were put on wrong to begin with they started wearing wrong when driven by the previous owner and now, though on correctly, thy are causing this grab?

First_Gear - Don't know about the adjusters.
The previous owner did some crazy things with this.
I will try bleeding them.

FSJunkie - Great idea taking them down and inspecting them from the ground up.
If bleeding does not work, I will give this a try.
About your problem years ago, I wonder if the factory put the wrong wheel cylinder in the box or it was a screw up by a guy putting things back in boxes at the part store?
I would not have thought to compare sizes.
You are believing all is well coming new out of a box.

TomJ - We just picked up the car this past March.
It was bad then.
We took it to our garage to lift it and check them out.
He found the shoes on backwards.
When the shoes were corrected they still grab but not near as bad.
What was the previous owner like?
The car kept stalling out after a mile or so.
Let it set for a couple minutes.
It starts back up.
Fuel problem!!
Checked the fuel filter.
It was in backwards!!
It now runs good.
It is that darn stopping that is getting in the way!!

All great ideas.
All of them.
Things I would have never thought of.
Should have time soon to take the brakes apart.
I will do both at the same time and compare what I am seeing.
Will let you know.

How do I insert a pic of our baby?
Hyperlink??

1964 AMC Rambler Classic 770.
2 door hardtop.
No pillar.
White top over aqua/teal/green/blue(??) body!!
Cragar rims with straight pipes underneath each containing a small muffler to give it a nice growl!!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and ideas.

Michael
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2021 at 10:18pm
Michael,
-Don't know about the shoes wearing-in one way and then still not working correctly when corrected.  I had that problem on a Metropolitan I had.  Switching the shoes solved it.  And I think I was the one to install them incorrectly, well, I know I was.
- As First_Gear recommended, check those adjusters.  You seemed to glaze over that and go into bleeding, which has nothing to do with the adjusters.
- And how about the roundness or run-out of the drum.  Another thing to check.
- You'll need 30 points to post a pic.  You're half way there.
Bill O.
70 AMX
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2021 at 12:21am
Been a couple weeks.  How you making out?
I came back to this post because I just read an article in my April "Street Scene" magazine (NSRA).  It was in the safety inspection editorial.  Anyway, same situation you seem to have.  It turned out to be corrosion on one of the wheel cylinder rods/pistons.  The rod/piston would not retract back into the housing causing the shoe it operated to already be too close to the drum, and in turn, causing that wheel to brake earlier and harder than the others.  So check your wheel cylinders, even if they've just been replaced.  And if you find corrosion you'll know they really weren't replaced.  Moisture in the system seemed to be the cause of the corrosion, remedied by bleeding the entire system every two years.
Bill O.
70 AMX
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic