TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1964 AMC Rambler disc brake conversion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kennedy9154 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1964 AMC Rambler disc brake conversion
    Posted: Mar/24/2021 at 11:12pm
Hey guys! Been a while since I was here...my son and I have been working on a different project and have hardly even driven our old 64 Rambler, but recently I ran across the parts from a 1978 AMC Concord to do a disc brake conversion, and the price is right, but Im not sure if it will work. I remember reading on here that parts from a concord will work, but I dont remember what years.  Any input would be most welcome!
g-man View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote g-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2021 at 12:57am
I have a '66 Ambo that I converted to disc's using a '76 Hornet donor car.
You could use a donor all the way up to '83 if you want to.
Just make sure you grab the matching spindles also (very important).
On the '66, I did have to do a tiny bit of grinding, for clearance, but it had NO impact on integrity or strength.  

g-man
AMC only daily driver
Kennedy9154 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kennedy9154 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2021 at 1:37am
Thanks for the input! Yes, it has the spindles too. From what I understand, thats the part that is hard to find. Looking forward to actually being able to stop this thing! 
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kennedy9154 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2021 at 1:12am
Well, I picked up the parts for the disc brakes when I was in Tennessee for Easter. The guy had a bunch of old cars, 300 or so, I think he said. His name is Bernie Murphy, and his prices are right, at least they were for me, and you wont find a nicer guy. He doesnt have a TON of AMC stuff, but he does have some, and he has a little bit of everything. He usually responds qpretty fast to any questions, within a day at most. His website is www.under1981.com if anyone is looking for a hard to find part, or knows someone who is. I hope its ok to post a link here. 
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2021 at 7:07am
76-78 brakes use a larger bearing than all other AMCs. The large bearing rotors are expensive if you can find them. If you're going to use AMC factory parts 79-83 are the best way to go. A Scarebird conversion is better, as parts are easier to find and will be available at a reasonable price much longer.
Frank Swygert
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kennedy9154 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2021 at 1:10am
Hey Farna...thanks for the input! I already picked up the ones from the '78, so thats what Im stuck with for now. The rotors are a bit rusty, but other than that, everything else looks pretty good. No more than we drive it, these should last a few years, I hope...I just hope the bolt pattern is the same.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2021 at 6:36am
Bolt patterns for the spindles and the wheels are the same. Make sure those rotors are good first -- have them turned.  1978 Concord rotors are $129 each right now at APD (likely same price at Kennedy American and Galvin's). Check Rock Auto though -- they have some listed at $35.79 (RAYBESTOS 3504R), one other at $122.79. The $35.79 are probably old stock and gone when sold out -- I'd jump on a pair even if the ones you have are usable after turning!! 75-78 Matador rotors use the same bearing and spindle but a thicker rotor. They are no longer made -- everyone is out of stock. Not as many of them still on the road (or even made) as 77-78 Concord/Spirit/Pacer. 75-76
Concord/Spirit/Pacer use the same rotor as the 75-78 Matador, FYI, so they are no longer available either.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic