TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1963 Rambler Classic gear oil leak

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtrosclair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1963 Rambler Classic gear oil leak
    Posted: Mar/21/2023 at 8:15pm
Now that I have been driving the car a bit, about 300 miles so far it has developed a weird gear oil leak.  After driving (presumably while driving also) it starts dripping gear oil from the area where the torque tube interfaces with the rear end of the transmission tail housing.  It appears to have been sealed up in the past with silicone so this may have been an existing issue.  It appears that several seals could be the culprit but all of which would likely result in taking the rear end and torque tube loose. Is this a common leak, or is it a harbinger of some massive issue? 

Thnks 
1963 Rambler Classic 550
Originally a 196, this one has a 199 from a 69 American.
mtrosclair View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtrosclair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2023 at 10:24pm
Still ongoing, it seeps out after driving and drips for 30 minutes or so after turning the car off.  Based upon the tiny oil spots on the rear of the car it does it while driving.  It gear oil but I'm not sure if its coming forward from the diff or backwards from the trans.  
1963 Rambler Classic 550
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2023 at 5:38am
The seals are likely 60 years old now. They are a consumable item that typically should last the "life" of your average car. Ours are past design lifetime, so seals starting to fail should not be a surprise.
Yours are jus a lot more difficult to actually see.
Transmission oil level and differential oil level should tell you which one it is over time.
Either your willing to live with it or plan to remove the differential/torque tube and do both since your there.  
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtrosclair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2023 at 7:16am
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

The seals are likely 60 years old now. They are a consumable item that typically should last the "life" of your average car. Ours are past design lifetime, so seals starting to fail should not be a surprise.
Yours are jus a lot more difficult to actually see.
Transmission oil level and differential oil level should tell you which one it is over time.
Either your willing to live with it or plan to remove the differential/torque tube and do both since your there.  

I’m sure it’s a seal, and looking at the TSM, I believe it’s one of these three, which, I assume you could change, both of these, just by disassembling the torque tube from the rear of the tail shaft, and from the front of the differential housing. If these are just “regular” oil seals they shouldn’t be too bad to change. 

Edited by mtrosclair - Mar/23/2023 at 7:19am
1963 Rambler Classic 550
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2023 at 9:36am
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtrosclair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2023 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

This may help:

Seems like there could be some skill involved but it can't be any worse than an engine swap an I've already done that.
1963 Rambler Classic 550
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2023 at 8:17am
The seal over the slip joint (in the seal retainer) is easy to change and get. You can use a thread sealer on the slip joint instead of the seal where the shaft goes in as it shouldn't move during driving.

More than likely the oil is coming from the transmission rear seal and not the pinion seals on the differential. The leak is uphill from the differential. The diff would have to be way over full for oil to get up that high.
Frank Swygert
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtrosclair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2023 at 8:45am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

The seal over the slip joint (in the seal retainer) is easy to change and get. You can use a thread sealer on the slip joint instead of the seal where the shaft goes in as it shouldn't move during driving.

More than likely the oil is coming from the transmission rear seal and not the pinion seals on the differential. The leak is uphill from the differential. The diff would have to be way over full for oil to get up that high.

That’s what I was thinking and even parked front high on an incline I’ll still get the leak.  
1963 Rambler Classic 550
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtrosclair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2024 at 10:43am
Reviving this older thread, I believe I’m going to have to attempt this repair sooner as the leak seems to have gotten worse. I’m going to go ahead and change whatever bushing is at the transmission end of the torque tube, and the seal on the backside of the transmission.

I assume I’ll need this pricey donut?

Edited by mtrosclair - Feb/09/2024 at 10:55am
1963 Rambler Classic 550
1958 rambler super View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2024 at 9:51am
Here's how bad my transmission is leaking.. It'll loose about 130 ml of gear oil a short time, and it was completely empty the first time I checked to see how much was in it. 

Does yours also leak at the shhfter levers? 

Edited by 1958 rambler super - Feb/11/2024 at 9:57am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic