TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon
    Posted: Apr/11/2021 at 2:21pm
New car! One I've wanted since I first saw one in a junkyard in Bremerton WA in the middle 1970's. That desire mutated into one for an early 50's Nash rambler (wagon) but those are 1) scarce! and 2) difficult to own, and in the end, Rambler Americans are much more supportable by me.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2021 at 2:30pm
This is not gonna be a restoration, but a 'restify'. I will somewhat reprise the interior schema I used in my prior 63 hardtop. But that car was a ruin inside, parked next to a barn with the windows down (the inside of the speedo was rusty). This 60 is much closer to intact, so I'll do whatever I please with the front-interior but it won't involve irreversible changes (panels, upholstery, etc). The door panels will be saved for reference, I'll save all the headliner bows, etc.

The rear-interior I intend to functionally copy this 1952 Greenbrier (color TBD), it's just so damn functional -- and affordable. I have a commercial sewing machine so will probably do my own. The interior is all but identical to the 60 in nearly every detail, seat latches and all. Not sure what that carpeted thing is, vertical behind the front seats. Of course the seats fold flat.

Externally, this paint, though I fairly hate beige, will probably stay -- it's in fair-to-good condition, was well prepped. I'll add flames like my roadster has and color detail.

It's an OHV and flashomatic. Engine may be usable, but I'm appropriately skeptical. Trans "works", so I can road test when the time comes but I'm prepared for a teardown. Axle TBD.

Here's the pretty Greenbrier.

Edited by tomj - Apr/11/2021 at 2:32pm

LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2021 at 5:03pm
Super!  Pun intended.  And I love that Greenbrier color.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2021 at 10:48pm
Yesterday I gutted and sorted the interior, 2400 psi power-washed inside and out. What a mess (60 years of dirt). Foudn evidence of bonks and bends, nothing serious. Front fended pushed in a bit and bent bumper, relatively minor. 

The only rust was pass. side rear floor, so probably leaky window. Surface rust only. Whoever installed the carpeting used waaaay too much contact cement, what a PITA. 

The rear sliding window frames are beyond repair, esp. the lower sliding section. Not sure what to do about that.

I pulled the awful seatcovers off, decidedly non-stock. Did the rears first, holey karap, the seats were like a 5 year old car! Alas, the fronts were gone, probably ruined long ago.

The seller's son had rebuilt the engine, but the story was ambiguous, and inconsistent with the metal in front of me. Carb not bolted on... pulled the valve cover off, no pushrods? But super clean, definitely not old. My plan had been to pull the head to evaluate/reconcile metal and story, but the engine doesn't turn, so that's that -- out it comes in the next week. I'll mic the bores and determine overbore needs and proceed from there.

Edited by tomj - Apr/13/2021 at 11:03pm

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2021 at 10:37pm
Slowly picking away, more progress than reported here. 

The engine is junk. The original was a flathead, but repalced with a nicely rebuilt 62 OHV in 1989. Quality work with full receipts that seem to match the metal in the car.

But someone worked on it recently made a lot of common mistakes and magical thinking. They got water in the intake, it sat for some time, then it was run. Then partially disassembled. #6 cylinder has deep rust, and all cyls have black rust stains. The bores were honed over and over, the one I checked was .005" wide at the top, standard bore. 

It had recent head work, and brand new exhaust valves, lookslike zero miles. And new exhaust seats. At the same time, the intake seats are pitted, valves have overly thin margins. So out it comes.

I've been saving this 1965 motor, appears to have little wear, crank journals look usable as=is but I'll take the advice of my local machinist. I figured out how to adapt the 1965 full-flow system to fit in the earlier cars -- I know it will work as we;ve got a 63 American with a 65 motor with a blockoff plate where the filter adapter was; I'll remote the pump out from there. News at 11.

mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2021 at 12:54am
that is to cool you don't see many of those on the road . I will watch this journey as it unfolds .good luck
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2021 at 7:45pm
Tom,  Check with Galvin's on those hard to find body parts.  They have thousands of used parts not in their catalog.  If you find extra springs that support the rear hatch, let me know.  Someone in our club has needed them for a long time.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2021 at 9:53pm
Those floor pans looks great and that rear seat is beautiful.  
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2021 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by pacerman pacerman wrote:

Tom,  Check with Galvin's on those hard to find body parts.  They have thousands of used parts not in their catalog.  If you find extra springs that support the rear hatch, let me know.  Someone in our club has needed them for a long time.  Joe

Thanks, I forgot that. I'm in the engine/trans/driveline now, sucking up time and cash, but that will be next. I'll keep my eyes open for those odd springs.

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2021 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by LakesideRamblin LakesideRamblin wrote:

Those floor pans looks great and that rear seat is beautiful.  

Yeah, I'm very lucky. Cosmetically they're funky in the pics from the excess contact cement and carpet pad. I'm undecided how much effort I will make removing it. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic