TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - "1958 Rambler Super" mission fix it and drive it.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

"1958 Rambler Super" mission fix it and drive it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 35>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2023 at 8:47am
Brb
1958 rambler super View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2023 at 7:22pm
Ok, did a huge amount of work and have almost got the bottom braket for the alt in useable, workable condition. Lots of measuring, stareing and thinking, welding, cutting, drilling... repeat.

I was drilling the holes and had no way of knowing if the hole was straight, I don't have a drill press, so the holes were slightly sideways, and the work was ruined. 

So I cut off the parts that had the bad holes and re welded new metal on and re orientated the holes and center punched their locations, and took it to a shop that will drill 2 straight holes for me, at a cost of like $60

But it needs to be done becuase the bracket was shifting around, and that's no good, the alt has to be secured and not moving around!

Then it's onto making the top bracket... That won't be fun.

I wish the generator just worked and I didn't have to do this... 
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2023 at 8:28pm
For $60 for drilling two holes I’d be looking for a used drill press at a garage or estate sale, swap meet, Craig’s list, etc. if you have a place to put it, like a garage or shed. You’ll never regret getting one and once you have one you’ll wonder how you ever got along without it. 
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2023 at 7:48pm
Sweat lock, yup, your right, but I keep not getting stuff like that because I dknt have a spot for it unless I put it in my kitchen... And I'm also wanting to move....

Troutwilly :  first, I apologize for not giving you a proper response to your question on my project page.
You asked where I tested the voltage in the most recent time I saw the batt wasn't being charged. 

I was tired of the whole thing with the failure of the generator and battery and you were only asking a question cus you were trying to help....

Anyways, you were asking where I was seeing the volts produced by the gen and where I did the testing, across the batt terms, or volt gauge ect. 
Here's a good answer for you troutwilly... 

Before I went for that third drive I saw the volt gauge registering a charge of 13 and up to 14 pretty quick, I tested the voltage of the battery across the terms and it was 12.59 and stabilized at 12.61

I went for a half hour drive, most of the rpms were above 2000, and I only used the battery to start the engine one time.

When I got back to my house I shut off the engine and waited about ten minutes and tested the voltage of the battery across the terms and the volts was 12.49.... So the charging system still didn't seem to be charging.

Since then I've been focusing on getting the new brackets made for the alt, but I hope I can actually get the alt to fit, the surrounding stuff in the engine area has been engineered and designed for the smaller generator with the smaller, shorter and narrower mounting ears.
Right now the top ear is bumping into the big coolant hose, and fabricating the top bracket that extends from the mechanical water pump is not going to be as easy as the bottom bracket.... 
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2023 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by 1958 rambler super 1958 rambler super wrote:

Sweat lock, yup, your right, but I keep not getting stuff like that because 

When I got back to my house I shut off the engine and waited about ten minutes and tested the voltage of the battery across the terms and the volts was 12.49.... So the charging system still didn't seem to be charging.

Sounds normal to me.  Voltage will drop back down to around 12 volts over time as the car sits.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2023 at 11:14am
Huh, your right, with all the stuff I just read online 12.4 - 12.5volts apparently is a good state for the battery to be charged up to after a substantial drive.... I just thought the battery's voltage should have risen back up to the same amount of the 12.61volts it was before I went for the drive...

Anyways, today is not the day to try and put it all back together and see what the batt volts are at after another drive... my back is messed up and I hurt my hand working on the car, I got upset I couldn't do the job properly with out a drill press, work bench and good vice.
The reason I keep not buying those things is because I keep thinking the cars jobs are almost done, and I can start to move soon, and having all that stuff is going to be a hassle to get rid of when I am trying to move... 
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2023 at 7:25pm
Ok, I reinstalled the generator after recent info had illuminated the fact I missed, that the charging system was working after all..

I tested the volts at the battery, before I started the engine, it was 12.43

I fired up the engine, used the mm at the battery and observed the voltage the generator was sending to the battery, at idle it was just above 12v, after revving the throttle it rose and topped off at 14.02v

I went for the same drive I did last time I tested the charging system, around 25 minutes, much of the drive was above 2000 rpm.

When I got back to the house I tested the voltage at the battery with the engine turned off, and the voltage was around 12.3.

Last time, same scenario, doing the same drive, the voltage was 12.49, many info sources on the internet state this is a normal, good charge to see in a battery after a substantial drive, with an effective charging system.

Last time = 12.49
This time = 12.3

Still don't understand what the problem is, and may never know

But it looks like it's on with the alt install! 
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2023 at 5:00pm
It's working as it should. Anything over 12V after a long drive is normal. 0.19V isn't going to leave you stranded or anything! As long as it's at least 12.0V when you stop the car it's doing it's job. It should be 11.5-12.0V the next morning. If you leave it 2-3 days it should still start even if it's a little below 12V. If you're going to leave it more than 3-5 days disconnect the negative terminal. No matter what there are small drains when the battery is connected. I take the negative terminal off on my car every time I park it -- might be 3-8 weeks between drives. It always starts up and the battery is at least four years old... maybe five. I'm running an alternator, but have a lot more electric drain than you do, with EFI, electronic shifted trans, and AC.
Frank Swygert
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2023 at 11:08am
I dont know farna... When I did troutwilly test, with the mm probes at the battery terminals and revving the engine, before I went for a drive I watched the volts going to the battery go from above 12v at idle, and with the throttle revved up it topped of at 14.02v

When I got back from the drive I repeated the test again, mm probes at battery terminals, watching the mm and the voltage being sent to the battery with the throttle revved up and this time after the drive the volts didn't even get to 13v....

That doesn't seem consistent, but do you still think my charging system is working as it should? 
troutwilly View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2023 at 11:05pm
Is it possible the voltage regulator loses a little efficiency when it gets hot?
Back when we were watching those how-tos on the generators and voltage regulators, its obvious the voltage regulator is a set of "flexing" contacts that maybe work differently when hot.
But that said, 13 volts should charge your battery.  14 volts is much better, but if its not needed the voltage regulator should throttle back a bit.
Is there a way to test just the output of the generator to isolate the culprit?  If its putting out a lot of volts when hot then the voltage regulator is probably limiting the charge.
Bill O.
70 AMX
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 35>
  Share Topic