TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - "1958 Rambler Super" mission fix it and drive it.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

"1958 Rambler Super" mission fix it and drive it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 35>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2023 at 7:30am
I agree with Cam, plug  or reattach the vacuum wipers!

Once you have done that, get a vacuum gauge & connect it to the engine. Then use the chart to diagnose your miss.

Edited by scott - May/20/2023 at 7:39am
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2023 at 9:30am
What they don’t tell you is whether or not those vacuum readings are with the transmission, in the case of an automatic, in gear or not. Since you can’t check a manual transmission in gear at idle, I’ve always assumed the vacuum readings would be for ‘out-of-gear’ (neutral) for both an automatic or a manual trans car. On the other hand, with an automatic you’re idling it in gear, lol. 

With an automatic transmission, your vacuum reading will be higher in neutral/park than in drive/gear at idle. 

Edited by sweatlock - May/21/2023 at 4:33am
1958 rambler super View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2023 at 11:42pm
I did run the engine again with that vacuum wiper port plugged, and the engine ran smooth, 
(I did not bother doing a vacuum test, I have already established the engine has good vacuum, and the engine is good as far as the leak down test went, indicating a piston ring issue, but those rings are new ect and me and farna have settled with the idea the rings haven't seated yet as the engine has not been through the 500 mile break in) 

The engine ran smooth and seemed to not exhibit the misfire symptom..... after doing some tuning with both screws on the carb, and after the engine had been running for awhile, i had the timing light on and was watching the flashing to see if the timing was consistent, and it started to become irradic and the engine started to stumble.

The battery wasn't being charged, even if I revved up the engine past 2000 rpms.... So tomorrow I have my pick of jobs, either the misfire or putting on the alternator. 
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2023 at 12:41am
I'm thinking that the misfire might go away once you fix the alternator, unless you messed up the carb adjustment of course. 
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2023 at 12:45pm
Well, the engine misfire has been present since day 1, with a diff carn, and then I put this one on, a Weber 32/36.

Ive had the engine running for more then a year, and just recently had got the car on the road but it immediately came off the road again with the charging issue.
So the carb had been tuned pretty good for most of the time, and the misfire was there the whole time. 

Farna thinks it's a cracked head.... I think it could be that, and maybe the engine builder said he magnafluxed the head and didn't see any cracks, but maybe he missed em.... 

or the points not opening to the same height all the time as the points ride the cam of the dist, maybe that's causing the coil to discharge at a slightly later time causing the misfire, and maybe a pertronix ignitor 2 might solve it... Removing the points out of the whole equation.

Today I'll be starting to get familiar with the nessesaries of mounting the alt. 

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2023 at 2:52pm
Well, something had occurred to me a little while ago when I was studying te electrical diagram getting ready to put the alt on, and know which wires to connect so the no charge indicator light worked....

I was following the wires from the gen to where they end, and saw the ground wire on the gen led back to the ground post on the volt reg....
And saw in the diagram that the gen is grounded through the engine block, and my mind when way way way back to the days when I painted the engine, and mounted the gen and it's little rectangular block it sits on... 

And I had no idea to make sure the gen needed to be grounded. 

So yesterday I took off the gen and that little block off and I scrapped off all the paint and sanded it up and wiped it down with rubbing alcohol, did the same for all the places the gen contacts the little block and the piece that extends to mount to top ear of the gen, put it all back on and fired up the engine and now the volt gauge indicates a charge of up to 14volts when engine revved up.... 

Maybe I fixed it and found out why my charging system wasn't working? 
Maybe now I don't need to put the alternator on after all? 

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2023 at 7:11pm
I would say so!
Frank Swygert
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2023 at 8:52am
Nope.
Still didn't charge the battery. 
troutwilly View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2023 at 11:34pm
Something's not right.  Where are you measuring the 14 volts?  Should be across the battery posts.  And after cleaning things up, what is the voltage across the battery posts at idle?  Also, does your under dash volt meter give the same readings as your multi meter?
Bill O.
70 AMX
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2023 at 8:50am
The measurement was read from the volt gauge under the dash only
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 35>
  Share Topic