TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - "1958 Rambler Super" mission fix it and drive it.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

"1958 Rambler Super" mission fix it and drive it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 35>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2023 at 5:23pm
It's just me -- I've never had any luck making flares on steel lines. Copper, yes, steel, no. But I never invested in a high quality tool to do the work either. Practice makes perfect -- I just never took the time when I could buy lines close to the lengths I needed.  I think you're doing a great job just hanging in there and continuing to work until you get it right!
Frank Swygert
1958 rambler super View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2023 at 10:31pm
SUCESS FINALLY WITH THE Brakes, thank God.

Yesterday I was SO CLOSE to being able to go for the first drive with the rambler, 

but as I went through a pre trip check list, stuff like finally securing the collant hose to the fender, and not forgetting anything like making sure I renewed the insurance and the papers were in the car, having money for a possible tow, victory cigarettes, and making sure the brakes worked (they did) and making sure the brake lights and turn signals worked...

Everything was a go, untill I saw the brake lights were no longer working again, and the turn signals were not working either, that was something new...

I bet when I partially took apart the colum to try and see what could be done to fix the sloppy shifter but was stalled with not being able to take the steering wheel off, I put it back together but I suppose it's possible I jossled something in the turn signal switch area and disconnected something, that's probably why the turn Sig doesn't work now when it was before... 

I looked today and saw a wire was broken off the little turn signal device, but fixing the wire didn't give me the turn signals back.... So I Think I have to rent a steering wheel puller from blaster auto and take it off to see what needs to be done to fix the signals...

But I'm checking out farna suggestion for the Ron Francis wiring brake light switch, not sure if sw64 or sw62, not sure which switch is better for my pedal.... 

Edited by 1958 rambler super - Mar/28/2023 at 10:33pm
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2023 at 8:20am
Your MC is on the firewall. If you use a pressure switch SW-32 is it. If you want to put the switch on the pedal use SW-76. To mount on pedal make a metal bracket that holds the switch on the "top" side of the brake pedal so that it is pushed in when the pedal is up (no brakes). Brake light turns on when pedal is pressed and switch closes, only have to push pedal in about 1/4". Switch is NC -- normally closed -- which means it makes contact unless pressed. Just pull the two wires on the pressure switch inside (may need to lengthen) and connect to the pedal switch.

More than likely the turn signal switch is bad. You can make a puller if you have a welder and tap set. IIRC it's standard fine threads for the size. Just get a piece of pipe that fits (pipe threads won't work!) about 2" long. I used a 3/8" carriage bolt (for the rounded head) with the head ground down a bit to fit inside the pipe. Weld a 3/8" nut in one end, thread the bolt in so the head is inside pipe. Use two nuts locked together on the bolt to turn it (or tack weld a nut on). I loaned the one I made out and it never returned, will have to make another if I need one...  Renting it might be a better idea though, as you may never need it again!

Frank Swygert
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2023 at 10:49pm
Pulled the steering wheel and didn't see anything wrong with any wires..... It was nerve wracking cus I didn't want to wreck anything further.

I guess after putting on the new turn Signal clicker little box thjng that is under the dash didn't fix the turn signals that MUST mean there is a damage to skme wiring some place I haven't noticed yet.

I also made the bracket and attached the new electric plunger style brake light switch to the brake pedal and connected the two wires from the old hydraulic brake fluid activated switch to the new plunger switch on the brake pedal and tested it and still no brake lights.... So there must also be damage to some wiring some place else I haven't seen in that case too....

Any thoughts farna? 
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2023 at 6:06am
Make sure you have goo grounds at all the turn signal lights first. Also check the fuses, not just that they aren't blown, use a voltmeter and make sure there is power on both ends of the fuse. A glass fuse can detach in the end cap, leaving a good looking fuse with no power. I don't recall if the 58 has a fuse panel like the 63+ models do, I'll have to look, but there is a fuse or breaker (looks kind of like a flasher, but usually boxy) for the lighting somewhere. Sounds like you're not getting power to the turn signal switch. You can test your brake lights and switch by running power to one side of the switch. Disconnect the wire to the post you're powering. One wire comes from power (from turn signal switch, IIRC), the other goes to the lights. So they will light when switch is closed and power is to the correct side. Hmmm... if you run power to the wire that supplies power to the brake lights it should back feed into the turn signal switch and power the turn signals. If you have a break in the line or blown fuse/circuit breaker that shouldn't hurt a thing, at least for testing.
Frank Swygert
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2023 at 1:02pm
So you mean put wire with a power source onto one of the posts of the brake light switch, but power from where? A new wire I can make and connect it to the ignition switch I guess... 

Also no, no fuse box in my car. 

There is a green wire, one of two that are for brake switch going to circuit breaker and other green wire going to turn signal under horn button, but one of them has some damage, the green insulation is melted, but the wire is still intact, I dknt think that should stop that wire from working... Right? 
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2023 at 7:56pm
Ok, I tested the switch like you said, I used the 12v keyed source from the wire I have connecting the electric choke for the carb, and it didn't work.

Until I rememberd that wire will only have electricity going through it if the ignition switch is on, and THEN  it worked!!!!!!!

So I geuss one of those green wires is bad, probably this one...

I wouldn't think melted insulation would interfere with the functioning of a wire, if the copper is still in tact, but maybe I'm wrong?
I'll start working towards replacing that green wire and try again. 
Thanks for the test idea farna!!
Happy day today with seeing the brake lights AND turn signals working! 

Edited by 1958 rambler super - Apr/12/2023 at 8:00pm
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2023 at 7:08am
You're correct -- that wire may not be the problem... unless it's melted in the harness and coming into contact with the copper of another wire. That particular wire looks more pinched/beat up than melted.

Go through the wiring diagram and see where a fuse or circuit breaker might be -- trace the brake light wires and see where the power comes from. Should be the turn signal switch. Then trace where it gets power. There should be something for wire protection, and that's probably bad. Could be a fusible link, but I doubt that on a 58 -- fuse or circuit breaker more likely.
Frank Swygert
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2023 at 8:47am
There is a circ breaker near there, it is a little box like you thought. I'm not sure how to tell via wire diagr how the signals get power though.... 

I replaced that section of wire and after some more fiddling that was the problem, I'm not sure what causes it to melt though, it did have some rubbing damage near the melting though, so I hope that was the cause of the meltin wire.... 

But to say the least I've fixed the problem!
Thanks farna! 

Edited by 1958 rambler super - Apr/13/2023 at 9:15am
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2023 at 5:41pm
First drive (!) success and failures...

Wooohooo!!!

I was smiling for maybe three hours today while driving the car finally!!!

I couldn't have done it with all the help from the guys here on the forum, thanks from the bottom of my heart.

Ok, teaching mysf how to drive standard while on the first drive was a little hectic, but not that bad. 
After about two hours of driving and stalling and starting over again I got to know how to listen to the engine and how to let the clutch pedal out gradually with the increased rpms, it's a piece of cake now for me to drive around, I even drove in and out of a parking space in a parking lot when I took myself out for breakfast and I only stalled it once :)

I've had lots of looks and some thumbs up here or there and smiles from girls :)
Man! Does it ever feel good to have that car back to life!

But I've noticed there's a leak at the rear driver's side wheel cylinder now to take care of, 
an adjustment to a coolant hose length, 
and securing the tail pipe that dangles down, I completely forgot about paying attention to that... 

And the biggest problem I have right now is the generator is not charging the battery and it went dead quite far from home, I was heading home because I knew the batt wasn't being charged but I didn't make it and had to get a tow.

But holy moly was today ever a great gawdam day :)

Edited by 1958 rambler super - Apr/16/2023 at 5:46pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 35>
  Share Topic