TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - "1958 Rambler Super" mission fix it and drive it.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

"1958 Rambler Super" mission fix it and drive it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 35>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2021 at 2:13pm
Third job done! Gently sand up the pressure plate and fly wheel areas where the clutch disc contacts. Farna mentioned using fine sand paper to clean up these areas to make them nice and smooth. While not taking off too much material, he suggested either 180 or 220, I decided to use 220, just to be extra good to the Rambler. Here are the pics....
You won't see them, but I did see tiny cracks in one spot of the fly wheel while cleaning it up with the sand paper but I'm sure those are just age cracks and nothing serious. Also, would anyone know why the springs are white colored? ( Springs of the pressure plate ) update on feb27: as read in the mechanical book of the tsm the reason the pressure plate springs are white is a way of defining by visual meens different characteristics of the pressure plate springs, such as number of springs, compressed length, what series of car they are used in and the location of the springs. Springs data: there are two types, heavy or standard, white springs are "heavy" there are 6 springs and have a compressed length of 245# -+5lbs. At 1 15/32" there location is adjacent to clutch release levers.

Edited by 1958 rambler super - Feb/27/2021 at 1:02pm
1958 rambler super View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2021 at 11:55pm
Hi everyone, I think I might have messed up the transmission by pushing it back and forth about six times getting the rambler into a different spot in behind the building I live at.
I don't think I thought to put it in neutral before I did all that pushing and pulling it wasn't a long distance but maybe 4' up then down again, and then maybe 5' back and forth again.
Now the trans shifter doesn't go through the gears like it used to.... I was wondering why while having a coffee with a freind in the rambler and just now sitting on the couch the idea came to my mind that I didn't think to put it in neutral before doing all that pushing and now I'm very worried sick I wrecked the transmission. I hope I'm wrong. 
(No engine in this rambler so transmission is disconnected with no fly wheel, clutch disc or pressure plate)

Edited by 1958 rambler super - Jan/24/2021 at 12:04am
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2021 at 10:45am
Well, after talking to forum member here he suggested it was just in a bind and it wasn't anything serious, and in the morning I went under the hood and moved the shifter mechanisms by hand and I guess that freed them up, because it worked as it did before! On the other hand, there was a issue I noticed of the gear shifter not being able to find reverse, so a forum member told me about a method in the tsm for adjusting the shifter mechanisms to solve this issue. As per tsm method: Put the gear shifter in neutral, disconnect gear shift rods at trans shift levers, (close to trans?)put those levers in neutral, put 3/16 diameter rod through aligning holes in gear shift rods and gear shift mechanism(close to steering column) (holes of bearing housing) ,rod can be used(he offered the suggestion of 3/16 drill bit) to align gear shift rods and gear shift mechanism. With rod in those four holes,and trans shift levers in neutral adjust the gear shift rods at transmission, after rods have been adjusted, reconnect to gear shifting mechanism and remove 3/16 rod from gear shift rods aligning them with gear shift mechanism. So, when I went to work on that issue, I removed the gear shift rods at the gear shift mechanism by painfully removing the cotter pins and washers, I got pretty cut up using lots of force to remove them and slipped a few times with the needle nose pliers, I think I'm going to use gloves from now on, then after they were able to be taken out of the gear shifter mechanism at steering column, and it seemed I had to take out the drill bit so I could move each gear shifter mechanism either up or down to make room to be able to push or pull the end of the gear shift rod out of the mechanism. Then with that end disconnected, I went under the Rambler to adjust the other end of the rod at the trans, when I was down there I could see that end of the rod was threaded into a small block of metal connected to the gear shift lever right on the trans. So, I thought I wouldn't need to disconnect them at the trans by taking out those cotter pins, I could simply unscrew or screw the rod through the threads to adjust them. So I got out from under the Rambler, went back into the engine compartment and sprayed rust penetration and lubrication spray onto the threads before trying to turn them through the threads, but they wouldn't turn, so I tried harder and moved my hand down the rod past the bell housing towards the trans, and then the reverse gear I was previously unable to shift into while using the gear shifter at the driver's seat all of a sudden came loose and into play, I clicked it into reverse several times and being happy about it. My memory of exactly what happened isn't completely clear, but I think I moved the gear shift mechanism out if neutral in order to reconnect the gear shift rods, and also moved the gear shift rods out of neutral as well during the process. The space around the shifter mechanism was tight and it seemed I needed the space so that why I moved them. I think after I got the rods back in the shift mechanism I once again put the drill bit through all the holes and then re attached the washers and cotter pins while the drill bit was keeping everything steady. Then I went back in the driver's seat and tried the gear shifter and reverse was still unavailable, but I tried a few more times and then it clicked into reverse! I was happy about that but I was not completely happy since I didn't really know how the issue got fixed, I didn't understand what I did, and also, thinking about it later, and re- reading the message from the forum member, as well as reading the tsm procedure I clearly did the process incorrectly (the tsm arrived in the mail the day after I did the job, the forum member had his own and described the process to me by inbox message here on the forum) so if I did it incorrectly, what happened that fixed the issue? I don't get it. Also, the tsm says "CAUTION be careful not to move trans levers out of neutral as adjustment is being made" and I definitely did that. The tsm does not explain why or what the consequences will be unfortunately. Here are some pictures I took during the big job... Below are trans levers at trans, the threads I mentioned.
Below is the gear shift mechanism with drill bit through the holes.

Edited by 1958 rambler super - Feb/04/2021 at 12:23pm
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2021 at 1:47pm
Well, the engine will be going in and now I know the back end is mounted to the trans bell house, I have some bolts that came with the cars parts but other then the two bolts that have a space between the head and threads I'm trying to figure out what length to go buy at the store, it's difficult to figure it out when you don't have the engine with you to inspect and experiment with to learn things. There's a picture in the mechanical tsm for the same series car I have , 10 series, showing "timing mark location" page23 in electrical, in the picture you see the timing chain cover mounted to what looks like the motor mounts, this morning before werk I went out and tried fitting it on the mounts like I saw, but the fit wasn't right, it doesn't fit, so maybe the fit will be different if the engine is mounted to the mounts first, then the timing cover with the little flat metal "brackets" with folded sides. In the picture there are two, one for each mount, on my car back home, there is only one it's on the right mount, I took a picture and emailed it to Steve at blaser auto, he said there's only supposed to be one, so again I'm stumped, and maybe it would all make alot more sense if I had the engine with me to work with. 
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2021 at 3:35pm
Looking through the tsm, online google searches, searches here on the forums and one or two questions asked to members, have helped very little or not at all.  At this time I have currently clicked through tomj's upload of the 1960-65 parts catalog f14063 r1, finally at page 759 and 760, I see pics of bell house, clutch assembled detailed ,but neither  of them are a match, one has same bolt hole pattern, but lever opposite side, another dead end. It has not enlightend me as much as I'd hoped, I know the catalog is for a later year, but I thought maybe some of the engine trans parts might be the same and I could learn how the bell house and engine connect.
The only bolt shown as a connecting bolt is part 5.054 and the info in the catalog beyond that is in-useful.
"Part 5.054    60 thru 63   01(LHD(left hand drive)-six-LES(less "E" stick transmission)  60 thru 62   10(LHD-LES)
No length, size or diameter is recorded for reference. Another dead end. 
Tried to search tomj website for my bellhouse in his bellhouse data base but was not sure if the same type asmine was there, I also looked over his t5z trans install section to see what I can learn from that.

Edited by 1958 rambler super - Feb/27/2021 at 3:53pm
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2021 at 10:46pm
While pushing the rambler into it's new spot which took 3.5 hours, I thought the reason the car wasn't rolling on its wheels very well must be either because the brakes were stuck, or the bearings were in need of repacking or replacement, so I set out to investigate.....
Over several weeks I had gotten further and further, closer and closer to solving this problem, to addressing this issue, of either stuck brakes or dead and dry bearings. First I jossled the E brake cable and loosened up the brake assemblies, then sanded smooth the brake drums.
I also found a bearing castellated nut that was so tight I needed a 5 pound wrench to loosen it off. When I inspected the front bearings on one side, after using brake cleaner to clean off the grease I discovered both inner and outer bearings were damaged and needed to be replaced, this was not quick or easy.
I did the research and asked questions, I read a article step by step instructions how to replace wheel bearings, also watched a few youtube videos, I picked up knowledge here and there to help me.
Any one can do what I did and find their way to accomplishing this big job with the info sources I mentioned above, but I'll also put in some of my own cents....
"Knock out the races with the driver of your choice" per web article....
This is IMMEDIATELY INACCURATE.
Do not use a punch that is 1/8, this job will destroy the punch, and you will have to go back on the bus two more trips to and from hardware store and buy a 1/4 punch. 
Then if your as unlucky as I was you will have to knock out the two races with the 1/4 punch and a 2 1/2 pound sledge.......in the dark because the sun went down and you don't have a shop with lights.
It wasn't that bad when the job started to get done and I started seeing the race being knocked out. Putting the new races in was stressfully, but with patience and taps with a 8ounce ball piene hammer all around the races got flush with the hub then back to the punch to seat them..... Stressful work, in the dark with the cell phone flashlight, I was nervous I'd mess it up, or be there for who knows how long, but it went well.
Packing the grease into the new bearings was a piece of cake, putting the new seal in with the 1 1/2 $16.99 socket I bot just for that part of the big job was nice and humbling.
Putting more grease into the hub cavity then adding a little slick to the spindle then sliding the hub with inner bearing nicely greased onto the hub, then putting the outter bearing on and the spacer and nut then spinning the wheel and closing the nut down with the channel lock to seat the bearings was a piece of cake.
I feel very happy I did this big job on my own, and I feel alot of confidence in myself, " there are few things more pleasant and intimate then packing wheel bearings by hand for your car " --- very true!!

Edited by 1958 rambler super - Mar/11/2021 at 1:25pm
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2021 at 9:23pm
It's been awhile since I contributed to the progress with new posts, so I'll try and catch up... I work on the rambler each week, and focus on learning how to work on it or locate parts each day. on my weekends, about 85percent of my weekend is spent towards the rambler, either reading about working on cars, or watching videos on youtube, or reading the tsm either the mechanical or body tsm, even if I'm not pysichaly working on the rambler I'm focused on the big jobs, walking or taking the bus down to hardware store back and forth to buy tools or things I can use. Usually it takes me the whole weekend to get not much done unfortunately.... Since I got the big job done of putting in those new bearings, and repacking the old ones, I have bot a flux core welder, grinder and wire wheels to wire wheel off the rust, welding helmet, welding gloves, wire for the welder, bot exstension cords and realized through research I would not be able to use them since the voltage drop in 80 feet of distance with 12 gauge size cord will not help the welder be able to have the amount of power to weld properly, so I will need to rent a 9600 watt generator before I can use the welder to fix the exstensive rust.  The engine has been at the rebuild shop since dec23 and last week they told me the only part they were waiting for was the cam, so it might be done in another 3 weeks(?) So now I have this plan..... Make two priorities : 1-paint engine and 2-install engine after painting is done. I've done some simple planning and wrote down a step by step scenario for each priority, what will happen to get the paint job done for the 195.6, and following that the step by step scenario for installing the engine into the rambler. I wrote it all down beginning with the phone call from the engine shop telling me the 195.6 is assembled and ready for pick up and then go rent a u-haul pick up to pick up the 195.6, then go to sunbelt rentals and rent engine hoist and stand, go back to the house, use hoist to mount 195.6 to mounting part of stand then lower 195.6 to the rest of the stand, then return hoist and then return pickup, go back to the house and begin prepping and cleaning and masking off pump flanges and other openings on engine, set up tarps over make-shift over spray tarp structure I will make out of unwanted wood planks I found in the back yard to keep over spray from getting on neighbors parked car, then paint engine. 1 priority big job done. 2- instal 195.6.... go rent engine hoist, while 195.6 is still on stand put on harmonic balancer, use balancer instal tool if necessary, put on fuel pump, but use a small amount of silicone on flange then mount pump, it might not go on easy since the part of the pump works against the lobe of cam shaft, don't use silicone on oil pump flanger, pack oil pump with vaseline as per tomj's advice on his rambler 195.6 part of his website " this oil pump will not prime on its own ". Set distributor to fire at 1st cyl to properly set distributor timing as it goes into 195.6, put paper thin silicone to exhaust manifold mating surface as per farnas advice due to broken fastner location, attach exhaust manifold, put on timing chain cover (before harmonic balancer) and put on oil slicker, put silicone to gasket seating surfaces for timing chain cover and oil pan, torque all nuts to right torque, put engine on hoist, put flywheel on, torque in criss cross pattern, put in pilot bushing with a small amount of oil to slick it for input shaft, use clutch alignment tool and put on rebuilt disc and serviced pressure plate, tighten bolts in crisscross pattern then tighten to right torque, leave in tool untill 195.6 is close to transmission just to be safe it stays alignment, check everything over again to make sure I didn't forget anything, (like starter motor/generator) maybe sit down and have a coffee and think about it for awhile, then if I'm sure it's ok to be lowered into rambler engine bay, begin with that process, mate engine to transmission after taking out align tool, and 195.6 is on engine mounts, torque bellhouse bolts to right torque, torque engine mount bolts then disconnect hoist.... Then seal bellhouse to engine connection with flux core welder.
Just kidding about the last part.
So with tomj's advice about treating the install and first start up like a nasa space launch I think I will go over it again a few times In my head and write it down a few times to see if I missed anything or can learn anything I have overlooked. Right now there's a list of jobs in line to be done, but organizing major priorities first puts them on hold, like using money to rent a generator for the welder, or buying new trunk weather seal rubber from peter statues.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2021 at 8:21pm
Hi everybody, today I found out as I was writing out the budget for the first priority, the painting of f the 195.6, I found out as I called the rental place on the telephone and was asking them about pricing and the cost of the deposit to rent to engine stand and hoist, that they don't hav e a stand to rent. The guy on the phone said "the website info is just generalized and it's not accurate" so I had to re-plan and buy the engine stand. I just set it up out by the rambler, and noticed it's got a inconsistency in the form on the main weight bearing structure, I hope it's nothing to worry about, the stand is rated to hold 1000 pounds and the 195.6 weights 550 or so. 
Just another purchase! I have SOOOO many receipts for tools ect that I've bot, I've probably spent maybe $2000 by now, but I'm not sure.
The buying price was $3000, the rebuilt engine was $4800 or something, so I'm sure I've spent $10,000 or around there by now on the rambler... It's too bad I didn't have all this experience before I bought it, because alittle while ago I was looking for clues as to how things get attached to the engine by looking at videos and adds for ramblers for sale like mine, and I saw a exact similar 1958 rambler super for sale for $3500 (american dollars) in minnesota (?) that had a good engine and transmission and drove fine.... But I can't think like that and regret things now, there's no point is there? Just gotta stay positive and keep working away towards one day driving and enjoying the rambler! 
Anyone interested in watching me work away on the rambler can check out my youtube videos "1958 AMC Rambler Super pt.2" ect ect the latest video I made was pt.18! So I've been at it for awhile.... 
Bye every one!

amc-rookie View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc-rookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2021 at 7:19am
sometimes it's best not to track the costs during the project.
Project finally underway $$$! near-basket case 1968 AMX #2789 was 290/auto will be 343/auto

Son's car 1968 Javelin 6cyl/3 speed
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2021 at 11:11pm
Yes your right, so to save myself from realizing how high the cost is, and it might scare some people into abandoning the goal of getting the car on the road.
Some people have already told me they can't believe how much money I've spent... I keep all the receipts because I really do want to know how much it ended up costing to get it running and driving and I plan to list off all the things and how much it cost for each thing and then adding it all up to see how much it all cost, THEN I can go ahead and be shocked and it won't bug me because I'll have such a unique car, and probably every where I go every one will look at my car and think " whoa!!!!! Look at that car!!! " I told that to my friend who saw the car show up at my house on the trailer and he said " yeah, that's for sure ".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 35>
  Share Topic