TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - "1958 Rambler Super" mission fix it and drive it.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

"1958 Rambler Super" mission fix it and drive it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 35>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2022 at 7:35pm
Well, I took some time off the rambler to hike the west coast trail for the third time, this time I have a new personal record of hiking 39.5 kilometres in a day. When I got back to the car I found out the reason the adapter doesn't sit flat isn't because the bottom of it isn't flat, it's becuase the distance between the edge of the stud hole and casting of rise of the adapter wall is different between each axis of stud holes. So I'll have to take it back there and try and get them to grind or router away maybe 2 mm's.
Also, I got some stuff for the first time from galvins rambler parts, and the new fuel sender isn't working, in fact, the new sender is behaving the same way the old one is. The gauge moves a little then stops. I tried wiring it with a new wire and that didn't Change anything, I also tried the same thing with a new ground wire, same result, so I don't know what to do.... Maybe the gauge has something wrong with it. But it was working before, now it's not. Also, one other thing kinda sucks, a spring for the clutch stuff I bot from galvins isn't the right part, so I got the wrong stuff. I won't bother returning it, already spent like 8 bucks on a spring I won't use, no sense in spending more on shipping ect.
Also, I put a wanted ad up for throttle linkage clips, got a response right away from someone, but they wouldn't have a thorough convo with me about the clips I needed, they just kept saying yes I have them what's your Adress and wouldn't confirm with me if they had different sizes of clips that will clip onto to diff diameters of parts, my linkage seems like it would need diff size clips for the diff locations, as well as answering the question I had about the clip that fits onto the carb, and then they stopped talking to me obviously out of frustration, oh well, I'll keep trying to make my own...I gotta keep going, I can't give up... These are about seven version of failures so far. 

Edited by 1958 rambler super - May/14/2022 at 9:45pm
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2022 at 7:48am
Do you have an older analog multimeter? The kind with a needle? If so, connect the fuel sending unit to it and move the float. The meter should gradually move from 70-80 ohms at empty to 0-10 ohms at full. What you are looking for is a steady needle movement as the float moves (as steady as your hand, anyway!) and somewhere near the 73-10 ohm range. 73 and 10 are the E and F marks on the gauge, but the needle will go above and below the E and F marks. These are also known as "5% gauges" -- they are +/- 5% of the desired value (specified 10 ohms at full will be 9.5-10.5 ohms, 73 @ E  69.35-76.65 ohms).

Edited by farna - May/16/2022 at 7:50am
Frank Swygert
1958 rambler super View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2022 at 9:50pm
Hi farna, I did the test with the new sender, it was around 60ohms empty and  around 10 ohms full, and yes the meter I have is the kind with the needle, not too sure what could have happened and why the old sender and also new sender aren't working with the dash board gage. Oh well I geuss, I sealed up the tank with the sender and new gaskets for the sender and pick up tube and used fuel resistant permatex and called it a day, if it doesn't work I have a coiled up extra wire connected to the new sender I can route to a new gage in the future if I choose to. Also, after two $61 visits to the machinist to modify the carb adapter, and myself doing some gentle grinding at two areas, I have now been able to mount the adapter (the 4th one I bought) to reorientate the Weber carb facing the firewall, so it could interface with throttle linkage parts I made myself, and some are original, and some are original but slightly modified. (make "this thing" longer but use the original part that moves it for example) (I also had success with making the throttle clip I talked about, it has to be held in place with a small hose clamp but it works, it holds the linkage pieces together and doesn't bind up at all, so that's success in my books) and now the gas pedal is connected to the throttle linkage that is functional! The first idea I had is what the success was based on. the reason it didn't work the first time is because I didn't see the linkage could be orientated the other way, I'll post a picture... the little vertical rod can be pushing up on the horizontal twisting rod making it turn one direction or the other, if you TURN the horizontl all the way around, but I just wasn't smart enough to see that was possible. The rod turns the throttle lever, but only if the little rod pushes up on the horizontal rod the right way. I was also convinced the axis of space the rod needed to be in needed to be very close to the same axis of space the throttle rod inside the carb was, and wasn't believing the idea would work, but when my sister suggested I try it again and I did, it did activate the throttle on the carb!!! And I let her have the credit, even though her idea was my first idea, I just let her think her idea worked because I was mean to her when we were young and I feel bad about it and want to do something nice. Now I have to find out why there's a new coolant leak coming from a piece of equipment passing through the firewall. It is connected to under the dash by the steering colum and has a copper wire coming out of it and the wire is travelling off somewhere towards the middle of the dash, maybe to the heater or something. Maybe this new leak is because I revved the engine up to a new limit never before attempted. Pushing on the pedal and using that ability to rev the engine with out the engine right in my face is one reason why I never revved the engine up to around 4000rpm, after that I noticed the leak pooling onto the floor near the pedals. 

Edited by 1958 rambler super - Jun/02/2022 at 10:03pm
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2022 at 7:16am
1. The only coolant going under the dash is to the heater. I'd check the hoses first -- might be old and cracked or hard where they connect to the heater core. You also have the notoriously leak prone RANCO thermostatic heater valve. There are repair kits that sometimes work. I usually recommend replacing it with a simple on/off valve in the hose, unless you really want it to be original. Could be a heater core leak, but let's hope not.

2. Does the temp gauge work correctly? With the engine good warmed up it should read near the middle. If not, that IVR (instrument voltage regulator) is likely the issue. This supplies an average of 5V to the gauges by rapidly switching 12V on and off via a bi-metal regulator that eventually fails (it's been over 60 years!). The gauges obviously don't need real clean 5V power, but the easiest fix is https://www.ramblerlore.com/AMC/dashreg/index.html. You will find a lot more helpful info on the main ramblerlore site for various things.

3. The fuel tank often doesn't provide a good ground. The fix is to ground  the sending unit to the body with a wire. Requires dropping tank again. I clean the fuel hose neck real good then solder a wire to it (stripped back a couple inches and wrapped around base). Make the wire long enough to attach to the body somewhere close.

4. BUT FIRST CHECK THE GAUGE!!! Ground the fuel sending wire that goes to the unit on the tank. At 0 ohms (ground) the gauge should register above the F mark. Same test works with the temp gauge, by the way. If it doesn't, either the IVR is bad or the gauge... or the wire is broken somewhere between. You can test the gauge at the wiring connector at the cluster or behind the kick panel on the driver's side, but need a wiring diagram for the wire color.

You don't have to number like I did, but in the future I suggest you break your post up in paragraphs with a line between subjects. Just makes it easier to read.
Frank Swygert
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2022 at 5:16pm
1). I checked the heater hoses, they are not leaking, it is coming from some component of the ranco part you mentioned, me and my dad took it apart and looked at it, but for some reason it didn't leak when we had it in hand and filled it with Coolant... But when we put it back it leaked again, so I think I would like to ask you for a explanation of the on/off switch and just take the ranco equipment out of the whole picture, it's trashed anyway I think. What would be wrong with not having any of the hoses going to the ranco thing and reroute them directly to the heater core? Would that meen the heater core would be hot and radiating heat constantly? 
(that's a nice picture of me and my dad working on it, that's a keeper!) 

2)the temp gauge does not work correctly, me and you talked about it last year, the temp gauge sensor is fitting d with a larger diameter threaded fitting that leaves the sensor further out of the sensing location so it won't read right, your words! You offered the solution of putting a temp sensor into a rad hose, and I haven't decided that's what I wanna do yet.
3)ugh!!! Dropping the tank for a fourth time!!!! Ugh......
4)the gauge explanation you offered is confusing to me, I have already used a new wire from the sender to the gauge as well as a new wire for a ground, and there was no activity at the gauge.

Edited by 1958 rambler super - Jun/16/2022 at 7:59pm
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2022 at 6:39am
What you suggested is how you bypass the Ranco. Then you just need an in-line (or firewall mounted) simple valve that just controls water flow. A Four Seasons 74827 or 74828 will work. Both are pull on/push off (cable pulls out to turn on, in for off). For more valves types, the Four Seasons Interactive Catalog is here: https://www.smpbuyersguide.com/4seasons/2017-Illustrated-Guide/C/#. Go to page 760 and find the part number, then Google that for sellers.  74662 might be a good one, it was used on 70-72 AMCs, about the time the Ranco was discontinued. It has a firewall mount...
Frank Swygert
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2022 at 6:44pm
So after having the credit card payment fail like three times I finally ordered it and got it today from a store in the city, I got 74627, I was trying to order it for a couple weeks! I think I might have to do some adjusting to it to fabricate something that can hold it away from the firewall enough that the hose can come out the other end and also allow the valve to be stabilized when the wire opens or closes it. 
I'm also going to bring back the whole walking around with a suitcase thing. I think this one might be from like 1961. It has alot of mold on the inside though. 

Edited by 1958 rambler super - Jun/27/2022 at 6:48pm
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2022 at 7:01am
I use a similar valve on mine. It's just in the hose -- the cable sheathing attaches to the valve so it really doesn't need anything holding it. Just position the hose and valve where it meets the cable. You might need a slightly longer piece of hose to position it right, but that's all.
Frank Swygert
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2022 at 5:04pm
You meen having the hoses go right inside the car through the firewall, that can be done! Maybe something to cover the areas around the hoses at the place where they pass through, to make it look cleaner... 
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2022 at 9:11pm
No, I just mounted the valve in the hose where the cable would reach it -- under the hood. A shortish hose between valve and firewall. Mounting inside is a bad idea! A hose connection or the valve are more likely to spring a leak than the heater core. That's why none are inside...

Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 35>
  Share Topic