TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - "1958 Rambler Super" mission fix it and drive it.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

"1958 Rambler Super" mission fix it and drive it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 35>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "1958 Rambler Super" mission fix it and drive it.
    Posted: Jan/05/2021 at 10:48pm
Hello everyone on AMC forum, this is the first page officiallyrecording what work I'm doing, work I've accomplished ect which follows me trying to fix up and drive and save this old car I bought on December 7th 2020. It feels authenticaly good and it makes me happy and proud I OWN this car, when I look at it, I think man, I can't believe I actually own this car! And sometimes, when I look at it, I think man, this is my car.... And I'm f@#*ed. There so much work to do, and some members here on the forum have enlightend me by telling me that most folks who own these cars do the work themselves, and that shops don't take on these jobs since there so old not alot of shops have the accumulated know how to do the work on these old cars. So, the cars behind my building, I don't have my own garage, I don't own much tools, and don't have much time under my belt working on cars, so it's a challenge for me. It's a good thing I can talk to folks here on this freindly and helpful forum about tasks I undertake to get some wisdom and helpful tips. So here I go! I'll post updates from time to time as the happen. I'll start with one tomorrow, about the engine and parts I have in my kitchen... Take care all and thanks for your time and hope you enjoy the read!!
-tom.

Edited by 1958 rambler super - Apr/24/2021 at 8:23pm
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2021 at 1:50am
well it look all there that a good start and its something no one else has I look at my rambler in high school like that everyone screamed chevy ford I had something to prove that little car with a v8 put a hurt on plenty of those other cars good luck on the project. it is cool!   
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
1958 rambler super View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2021 at 11:18am
Here is the first job I started working on with the car, aside from getting the arrangements sorted out with having it towed from where it was in duncan to where I live in Victoria, here is the first job: getting the engine to a shop that wanted to accept the job. The engine was put in the trunk by the previous owner after I bot it, it was in there for about two and a half weeks and I made sure to cover it with some blankets to keep it as dry as possible. All the other parts for the engine weree in two boxes in my kitchen and as far as my dad could tell all the parts where there and he said "it was a good buy". The engine has been at a machine shop for about two weeks and as per the latest update they emailed me it was being cleaned, so that's all I know so far, and I geuss all they know too..... I have to admit, I do notice I'm alittle nervous as to what answer they will have for me, if the engine is ok to be rebuilt as is or not. Here's the engine in the trunk....
Stormogdis View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormogdis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2021 at 11:04pm
Awsome car, i was looking at a 58 rambler 4 door last year with a 4bbl 327 with a 3 speed manual transCool

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2021 at 10:25am
Thanks guys! and yup!, It is awesome, I like hearing that and I also really liked hearing the story from "mixed up" about how he drove this kind of rambler bak in his highschool days and put the hurt on lots of the other cars, those were great visuals!
Ok, so this is the second job done, I successfully put on new fastners for the headlight frames.....
So when I was looking at the super cool, retro and beautiful front grill area I noticed the aluminum headlight frames were totally loose and only had one screw holding them on, so after taking them off I could see what was going on and what needed to be done, it wasn't just a simple fact of not having enough screws. Well ok it was but there was more work to be done then was thot at first look.
Ineeded to replace the fastners that held that headlight frames on, the ones that were still there were maybe original seeing as how rusty they were, I went down to key2auto parts and bot some replacements, I think they are called "slip nuts" - I think they should be called slip nuts because of the way they are used, but the teller said no, they are called "U nuts", but I don't think I'm that crazy.... (haha)
Anyways, when I put the first one on I noticed about half a inch was popping out from under the headlight frame, so I went and bot a hacksaw. I had to get creative as to how I would cut off the excess of the new fastner which was quite a bit different from the original, the original looked like it was flat until the person using them crimped them on using needle nose pliers or 90 degree needle nose pliers. I did not have a proper work bench or a vice to hold the tiny piece of steel I needed to cut, so I had to think outside the sandbox on this one... I eventually resorted to using a old plastic clamp to hold the tiny piece onto a rotten wooden table and carefully and gently sawed through the slip nut and was able to cut off the excess, and after buying a longer screw for the bottom o the frames I was able to put new slip nuts on and properly fasten the headlights frames to the rambler. When I was done and I looked at my work, I was proud I did a good job and if someone takes off those frames they will see I did a good job and it feels and looks great seeing all four shiny screws in those holes!
The finished job.....

6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2021 at 11:29pm
My first car in the late 1960s was a 1958 Rambler Super. In my high school days the fold flat seats were a big hit.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2021 at 12:28am
I wonder if the seats in this rambler fold flat, I'll have to look into that. Glad to see my posts bring members a happy blast from the past!
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2021 at 11:18pm
Ok guys!!! I have very exciting news!! I heard back from the machine shop were the engine was at and they find the engine block and cyl head has NO CRACKS! So the engine rebuild begins! I have the price out sheet for the work ahead, it's the coolest piece of paper I've seen in a long while and can't wait the five or so weeks untill it's all completed and ready to go. The price is high, but I don't mind paying, that engine is going to be SOLID and NEW and STRONG. I'm very very excited!! Now it's onto the next job to focus on: learning how to put a engine in the rambler

Edited by 1958 rambler super - Feb/04/2021 at 10:38am
AMoCoLite View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMoCoLite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2021 at 8:17am
That looks like an awesome project! Rare to find a project in that good of shape! Keep up the good work.

Clap
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2021 at 4:16pm
Thanks AMoColite!!! The positive comments and enthusiasm help a guy facing the work ahead!! This is the first time I ever tried working on a car like this, with the massive amount of different jobs to get done, such as having the engine rebuilt not to mention putting it back in with no experience!!!! I'll need to focus and summon hella confidence....lots of people here will help me with advice and there's also the internet reading and youtube videos I can watch and have been watching so far.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 35>
  Share Topic