TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

195.6OHV Rear Cam Plug

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemirambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 195.6OHV Rear Cam Plug
    Posted: May/20/2022 at 9:19pm
Looking for some insight here.  I measured the opening IIRC it was 1.926" - so I ordered a 1 -59/64 plug thinking it'd be a few thou oversized - nope that sucker came in exactly 1.922".  It literally drops into the opening. Seems quite wrong.   OK plan "B" I ordered some 1-15/16 plugs assuming they'd come in at 1.937" (like the other one came in exactly "to size") - nope it came and measures IIRC 1.955"    - seems WAY too much to even consider.    Both were "name brand" domestic companies.  

What am I missing here?    I'm about to fire up the lathe and just make one. Do I really need to go to this extreme for a 2 dollar part???

Anyone go thru this?  What did you use?

Thanks,   Jacin
1964 American Convertible (stock)
1964 American Hardtop (Not Stock)
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2022 at 6:07am
Did you try Rockauto? Dorman p/n 555041 shows a min dia of 1.947 and expands out to 1.959. They also show an adjustable thermos type plug p/n 570012. 
wittsend View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittsend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2022 at 10:39am
The cam journal size changed in I believe it was 1963. Did the plug size actually change??? I don't know. But, any published size of the plug needs to be considered in light of that. As I first read your post the other day I thought if you have a lathe just make one..., and then you mentioned that you did.

BTW, since I'm going to be installing new cam bearings in my 196 OHV how did you get the plug out? Once the gear is off can you use the cam to knock it out? With that thought in mind I wonder if it can be reused with say some Indian head sealant?
'63 American Hardtop
Hemirambler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemirambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2022 at 8:44pm
Wittsend, Yeah I ended up machining one down.  I just wonder what everyone without a lathe does?  It seemed a bit extreme to me for what I thought would be a mundane issue. Being behind the block I'd have rather just bought the 'right' one.   Now I am reviewing all I can find to determine the appropriate fit.  I think I'm OK, but I'd like some confirmation given the location.   SMH.

Jacin 
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemirambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2022 at 8:46pm
Vinny, That's for the suggestions. Yep, I tried them all.   It surprises me this was such a chore to try and find.  SMH

I appreciate the suggestions/help.

Jacin
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemirambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2022 at 7:23am
I should add: My research indicates that these plugs are generally .010-.015" oversized.  I've also confirmed that (at least the other ones I had in my possession) have a .005" taper.  My opening is 1.926" - so I machined my plug to be 1.935" tapering up to 1.941" on the big end.  Putting me .009-.015" interference - good enough for me.  

Is this gospel?  Nope.   Is it correct?   I sure hope so.  Time will tell.  And BTW - I really did try to avoid machining my own, it seems sometimes I just can't get away from this stuff.

EDIT: I just finished installing the "custom" freeze plug. I gotta say it felt really good going in. A nice firm fit like I've done on many OEM plugs thru the years. I know that's not the most scientific "test", but at least it's a warm and fuzzy feeling. Time of course will tell, but I have zero reservations at this point. 

Jacin

Edited by Hemirambler - May/24/2022 at 2:40pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic