TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

195.6 oil bath filter help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 58Ramblr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 195.6 oil bath filter help
    Posted: Jul/24/2021 at 9:45pm
I’m trying to take apart this oil bath filter so I can clean the element, but I don’t see how this thing comes apart. In some pics I see a filter element sticking up slightly from the housing. Is this a separate filter entirely? I’d imagine it’s part of the oil bath filter... if anyone knows how to properly open and clean these. Please let me know 

Example I’ve seen online 

these are pics of my cleaner 

And yes I do have the other top cover that goes on the screw 
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2021 at 10:18am
IIRC there isn't an "element" inside. Basically the inside is shaped so that air swirls around and is blown over the oil in the bottom. The oil "catches" dirt and trash from the air. Some really small and light weight particles can still be pulled through, but 80-90% "sticks" in the oil. To clean you pour all the "old" oil out, then pour in and slosh around some kerosene, diesel fuel, or other solvent (paint thinner/mineral oil/alcohol all work well). Gasoline isn't recommended due to the highly explosive vapors. If you rinse out with a solvent give it a couple hours to fully evaporate before adding oil and returning to service, just to be safe.

Frank Swygert
1958 rambler super View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2021 at 10:20am
Ok, I have never seen a "oil bath filter" I never knew about this piece of equipment, I'll look on Wikipedia and ect to see what it is, and maybe if I learn something I'll let you know if I have an idea of how to disassemble this.
Or you could just look at the link farna posted !

Edited by 1958 rambler super - Jul/25/2021 at 10:23am
58Ramblr View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 58Ramblr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2021 at 1:08pm
There should be an easier way, as there’s no drain bolt or screw, and water tends to get trapped at the edges. With no easy way to drain it I don’t see an easy way to clean it, and I wouldn’t wanna just dip the thing in any harsh chemical that would damage the paint on it 
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2021 at 1:57pm
Grab a can of gunk foaming engine degreaser and a cheap throwaway paint brush.  Sometimes labeled as chip brushes. Spray it on, brush then rinse with water. Repeat as necessary.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2021 at 6:50am
No, there is no easy way to drain it. Just pull it off and turn it upside down in a tub of some kind and let it drip for a while. Pour diesel fuel/solvent in, slosh around good, and repeat. Personally, I'd get rid of it and get a paper element filter housing, at least for driving. Clean and retain the original oil bath (without oil in it) for shows if you want it to look original. Won't be much harm in just moving the car a short distance without oil in the housing (unless it's really dusty, like dry dirt road dusty).

Oil baths work better in really dusty conditions. Rural areas in the 40s and 50s were predominantly dusty when dry dirt/gravel/sand roads. The oil bath was an option well into the 50s, and you could still find them in the early 60s, especially on farm and industrial equipment. Paper elements can filter out smaller particles but get clogged quickly in dusty conditions. On mostly paved roads they are perfect. Remember, marine engines don't usually employ an air filter at all -- not much dust out on the water. Outboards generally don't use a filter. Carbureted inboards typically use a flame arrestor, which has a fine mesh screen, but is more to keep flame inside rather than keep particles out of the engine.
Frank Swygert
1958 rambler super View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2021 at 11:05am
That's such an interesting fact about early engines, I never knew there was such a thing as a oil bath, bit yes, what farna suggests is sounding like the best way, bit after I geuss you would have to ignite and burn up the diesel or solvent because I think it won't be able to be recycled after that.
wittsend View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittsend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2021 at 11:14am
Me, unless originality is important I'd replace it with a housing for a paper filter. Just reading the description and the "left overs" (oil, cleaning fluids) from the process seems an unnecessary laborious task.

That said, there are probably limited options out there so my opinion and reality may be two different things.
'63 American Hardtop
First_Gear View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2021 at 11:28am
Almost every engine had an oil bath cleaner back in the 50's. Up at my off the grid cabin we have a water system for pumping lake water into a pressurized tank. The Briggs and Stratton 2 horse motor has a oil bath cleaner in it. No recoil starter either. 
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2021 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

No, there is no easy way to drain it. 

LOL! You are right! I haven't dealt with one since I was a teenager. I still recall the incredibly nasty mess I made, gritty filthy gloppy black oil, when I tipped one over and didn't know how it worked.

Isn't there some coarse metal "wool" in them?

I hear they filter quite well, but maybe that's old.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic