TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 195.6 ohv oiling system explaination and "how to".
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

195.6 ohv oiling system explaination and "how to".

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 195.6 ohv oiling system explaination and "how to".
    Posted: May/28/2021 at 4:35pm
Hi there, I am trying to replicate the construction of the oiling system for the 195.6 ohv six cylinder, the system that has a external delivery system assisted by the incorporation of small piping that travels up from the main oil gallery up around the rectangular inspection covers and up to the head , depositing oil inside the valve cover, as well as a filter, attatched somewhere.
The system on the engine I bought was disassembled and not connected to the engine, it was a system tomj had said never seen before and he didn't even know if it was a amc system, he said the regular amc oiling system is much simpler and I'd like to use it with my rebuilt engine, but I don't have much knowledge about it, I've looked at some pictures here and there, but don't feel I can copy what I see, because those systems have been modified with changes to the mechanical oil pump, and my pump isn't modified.
The set up available for this construction of the regular oiling system is a 195.6 ohv six cyl engine, with no mods done to the oil pump, like there is on tomjs oil pump on his 195.6 ohv.
Any help would be worth alot to me and appreciated alot, thanks!

Edited by 1958 rambler super - May/28/2021 at 4:37pm
1958 rambler super View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2021 at 12:30am
Ok, I talked to farna and he directed me to a thread that goes into detail about the subject, so I have the info I need, what I'll do is use a aftermarket remote oil filter mount, it won't be so much searching online for a old one, and according to farna I'll be able to use more common oil filters!!!!
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2021 at 12:46am
Ok, I was researching and thinking about ways to construct the partial oil filter network with the usual method of pipes, or break line, and was on the trans dapt web page, I saw some remote oil filter mounts, or bases and l also looked at their remote oil filter systems, complete with the base and fittings and hoses, hoses which were 1/2ID and 3/4OD, if the NPT thread size going into the block and head was 1/8, would this difference in hose (ID size) to block thread size be a problem?

EDIT!!!! the item in question is a remote oil filter base that the filter screws Into, not a oil relocation kit, that involves a bypass application. the size of the PORT of the filter base for the remote filter base may or may have not been 1/2, bit I'm pretty sure it is.
BUT! the size of hose going into the feed is 1/4 and the size of the return is 5/16... I used a fitting to adapt the smaller hose size to the larger port size of the base.

Edited by 1958 rambler super - Jun/15/2021 at 8:56pm
nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2021 at 3:24pm
nick
401 71 Gremlin pro rally car sold
390 V8 SX/4 pro rally car sold
1962 Classic SW T5 4 wheel disc brakes
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2021 at 4:05pm
Hose sizing on a bypass filter arrangement would be more in the 3/8 range than 3/4 for a full flow system.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2021 at 11:52pm
The bypass oil filter system bypasses, bleeds off, engine oil pressure. I think Pacerman found a bulletin or other information that in fact the bypass system turnover rate meant that the entire crankcase worth of oil passes through the filter every hour or something like that. (I had been assuming it was virtually useless, I was wrong).

The point here is that the bypass system is fed by a 3/16" steel line, same size as a brake line.  NOT MUCH oil at all. I would not increase the size of the filter feed and drain lines. Big enough, it would certainly bleed off enough oil volume to drop the system pressure and thatr would be harmful.

Rather than reengineer it without solid reason and research, why not just put the stock system on? THey're not hard to find.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2021 at 1:29pm
Ok, I'll have to re think things with this new Info...
But I thought I had bought a oil filter base, and that's what I was going to use i place of the original oil filter base. It would be easy to buy one in the store that's alittle different from the original. 
But I think the sizes of hoses I bought for the feed is 1/4 and I think the size for the return line is 5/16

Edited by 1958 rambler super - Jun/15/2021 at 8:16pm
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2021 at 2:27pm
I thought what I had purchased at the store was simply a oil filter relocation mount, not a bypass filter mount.
I'm pretty sure it's a remote oil filter mount, not a bypass, but when I get back to the house I'll have the specific info that's on the box to post here for clarification. If I am right and I think I really am, I have a oil filter relocation mount, and it will work fine and there will be no issue with the difference in oil filtration types, I did some reading and the type of oil filtering that happens with a bypass filter is different from a regular oil filter, it filters out lots more stuff and sediment in the oil and takes longer to filter, but with a regular oil filter mount like I have back at the house, the oil filter that is used with it will be a regular oil filter and not take so long to filter the oil ect ect.
And yes nickelodeon I do have a YouTube channel with the journeys of my work I do or try and do, it's not always successful..... But I try.
Thanks for watching the videos! Hope you enjoy them!
-tom.

Edited by 1958 rambler super - Jun/15/2021 at 2:52pm
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2021 at 6:32pm
So wether or not the filter system is a bypass or not, even though I have established the system I am going to use is not a bypass system but a regular oil filter system, but even so, I should not change the size of feed and return line on the oil system tomj? Farna advised me a size smaller or larger "won't hurt" but now another person I've been listening to is giving me advice from the opposite belief, I dont know what to do or who to listen to, all this super critical methods make me dizzy,  Maybe I should have bought a Hyundai pony Insead of a amc?
I think after constant research and using my brain everyday for getting the car together I've burnt out.
I'm taking a day off today. I went out for all you can eat fish and chips and then went and had a beer down under a bridge, now I'm going to the movies, it's the first day their open in since October.

Edited by 1958 rambler super - Jun/15/2021 at 9:05pm
wittsend View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittsend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2021 at 9:40pm
 Likely the adapter you bought is typical for a full flow system. In standard full flow operation oil is pumped under pressure through the filter and and into the oil passages (still under pressure) and returns to the oil pan only as it leaks past very small gaps in the bearings, lifters, rocker arms etc.. Thus in theory ALL the oil passes through the filter before it gets to critical areas.
  One half of the adapter kit you likely bought screws on where the where the oil filter originally went (on a full flow system) and through hoses attaches to to the remotely located oil filter.  The 195.6 block does not have this provision.

If I'm understand the original AMC bypass system correctly (it is the only car I've ever had with such a system) the oil is pumped under pressure directly to the oil passages (no direct filtering) - AND through a narrow steel tube SOME OF the oil is passed through the filter where (and correct me if I'm wrong) it simply returns to the oil pan. Hence the term "by-pass" as being bypassed from the main oil passage. The thin steel lines are used to prevent a massive drop in oil pressure. If you are familiar with the old Frantz toilet paper auxiliary filter this functions similarly.

About the only thing you could use with the remote adapter kit would be the second piece that remotely mounts the filter. As mentioned there is no provision on the 195.6 block to mount the first half of the adapter. And, you would still have to fabricate all the thin steel lines to the remote filter adapter. Additionally, you would need connecting adapters to adapt the smaller lines - to the large provisions of the newly purchased remote adapter. This is why some are recommending that you just find and purchase an original filter system.

Regarding Full Flow: If you look at the full flow system Tom J  built he had to take the oil from the pump and block it from immediately going to the main oil passage, then route the oil to the remote filter via hoses and then (very important) route it back into the main oil passage.  Here is a link, scroll down to see the full flow system.  https://www.sr-ix.com/AMC/195.6ohv/OILING/index.html

While the original system and the Tom J. system look similar with the filter mounted off the block they are functioning very differently. The original is "bypassing" (I think routing would be a better term) SOME OF the oil from the direct, main passage and and allowing it to flow through the filter. In Tom J's system all the oil passes through the filter before entering the main passage. My apology for any redundancy. I just didn't want you to get lost in the process.

Edited by wittsend - Jun/15/2021 at 10:40pm
'63 American Hardtop
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic