TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

195.6 OHV - It’s ALIVE!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hemirambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 195.6 OHV - It’s ALIVE!
    Posted: Aug/12/2022 at 6:22pm
Finally today was the day! Still needs some fine tuning but it is running again. .030 over (1 sleeve) , new cam lifters, rockers, bearings, DIY head rebuild - New guides, new exhaust valves, resurfaced intake valves, new springs, retainers, etc. . Still need to hook up the PCV and secure a wire or two, but I am thrilled. It’s been a LONG time collecting all the parts. Nearly all from EBay over many years.

Edited by Hemirambler - Aug/13/2022 at 9:37am
1964 American Convertible (stock)
1964 American Hardtop (Not Stock)
Hemirambler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemirambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2022 at 6:24pm
OK this looks messed up!Not sure if it’s just my phone or what but when I get home I will correct it. Finally figured it out.

This motor has the factory "powerpack" (is that what they called it?) anyways its the optional 2 barrel carb. I also modified the factory distributor by adding a Mopar slant 6 reluctor and pickup. If you look close you might notice an aluminum block sorta hidden by the coil. There's a HEI module mounted there. Other than that its rather stock. I think I will miss the James Bond smoke screen when decelerating that the old motor produced in abundance. Nothing was better when exiting the freeway and you'd notice a tailgater 3 feet off your bumper. Making lemonade out if lemons..

Edited by Hemirambler - Aug/17/2022 at 6:44pm
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2022 at 10:08pm
Looks beautiful. 

Edited by tomj - Aug/12/2022 at 10:11pm
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemirambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2022 at 9:04pm
Dodged a bullet today.  The "Last Piece" I needed for the motor was to hook up the hard line for the PCV. The original the was in great shape less some minor surface rust. A trip in the blast cabinet and some hammertone paint and it was looking pretty spiffy!   I finally got some hose I needed to install it and in my haste threw it right on there with nary a thought. As I stood back and was admiring my work for having reused the factory crimp clamps it suddenly dawned on me that I NEVER cleaned out the inside after it left the blast cabinet. Yikes!   So right back off it came! Sitting on my chair I pondered ways to clean it out. As a lark I took a wad of paper towel and the air nozzle to see if I could "shoot" the wad thru it, and boy did it ever.  A large clump of oiley schmutz landed on my knee. There's obviously a TON of crud in there!   Tomorrow's another day. So glad I didn't start the motor with this on, I really feel like  dodged a bullet here.  For the record that 50 year old sludge smells like CRAP and is a bit&$ to scrub off. Ha ha ha.

Jacin 
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2022 at 9:00am
Nice job. And that car even has power steering.
nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2022 at 9:09am
Two filters?  Is the top Rambler red/white one working?

Nice job.  What do you figure the engine rebuild cost you?  My 62 ran about $2000 similar to your rebuild.
Head, valves, one sleeve,bearings, and pistons  

Nick

Edited by nickleone - Aug/16/2022 at 9:12am
nick
401 71 Gremlin pro rally car sold
390 V8 SX/4 pro rally car sold
1962 Classic SW T5 4 wheel disc brakes
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2022 at 4:37pm
I just looked through the thread again, and took a close look at the engine bay photo. No mention of two filters, but that COULD be an oil filter down on the oil pump? I doubt it.

The partial flow will, however, work with a full flow oil pump. Block is different for the full flow, minor change under the oil pump for a return for the full flow pump, so you can't easily bolt a full flow pump to an older block. Full flow pump has the pressure relief valve in the pump. You could make a block-off plate and disable the pump mounted pressure relief, use the block mounted that the older engine has, but that could still lead to over pressuring the filter if something got clogged. Not much chance of it though...  Partial flow just feeds off a plug in the main oil gallery (still there on the full flow block) and drains to a fitting on the other side of the block (also still there with a plug in it). I don't think the full flow block has the pressure relief in the block though. It may be drilled and plugged -- would just really require a stiffer spring to effectively deactivate it -- but it may not be drilled through and just have a plain plug. I haven't taken one of those engines apart.
Frank Swygert
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemirambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2022 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by vinny vinny wrote:

Nice job. And that car even has power steering.

Yessir! I thought I could get my wife to drive it if it had PS,,,nope! 
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemirambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2022 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by nickleone nickleone wrote:

Two filters?  Is the top Rambler red/white one working?

Nice job.  What do you figure the engine rebuild cost you?  My 62 ran about $2000 similar to your rebuild.
Head, valves, one sleeve,bearings, and pistons  

Nick

Yep, this is a '65 block with the full flow filter mounted down low. I put the NOS filter on top as the '64 block would have had just 'cause I thought it looked neat. Top filter isn't hooked up to anything.

Not exactly sure what I have wrapped up in it, but its not much. I bought the car 20+ years ago and it came with a spare '65 block. The motor in it ran, but was tired so I started buying deals off Ebay back then. I got some killer deals (back then guys were just trying to clean out their garages, not like today where it seems they're trying to retire off one sale.)  As an example, I know I paid less than 50 bucks for pistons. IIRC I paid $40 for the cam and $25 for brand new lifters - again 20 years ago. Deals then were common you just had to be patient. My big expense was machining the block - I think I paid 6 or 7 hundred bucks. I know one things for sure - I couldn't build one this cheap again,  but I have the old motor sittin on a stand now so honestly I'll probably start collecting parts again, but only dirt cheap ones as I really don't need a perfect spare, but you know how we are...

Edited by Hemirambler - Aug/17/2022 at 6:47pm
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemirambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2022 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

I just looked through the thread again, and took a close look at the engine bay photo. No mention of two filters, but that COULD be an oil filter down on the oil pump? I doubt it.
(snip)

Ahh ,but it is! IIRC that's a '65 block. I put the NOS partial flow filter up top just because I thought it looked so cool.

Jacin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic