TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

195.6 engine oil pump vaseline packing....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 195.6 engine oil pump vaseline packing....
    Posted: Jun/20/2021 at 11:52am
I swear I saw reference to this critical procedure in some TSM but I can't find one now. Anyone know where it is? I know I didn't make this up.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2021 at 1:08pm
I know they said to do this in the TSM - but I never have. I use assembly lube and oil in the pump and hand prime every oil pump during an engine rebuild. I do not use a drill or fancy adapter - never have seen the need. You can generate good pressure with a speed handle and bit correct for the pump type. I've hand primed Chevrolet, Ford, AMC, etc. I prefer the feel of the oil pump as to using a drill where you can't tell what's going on. . 

The vasoline I suppose was AMC's method to ensure that the things got primed and the pump worked because they knew mechanics would otherwise, well, not all of them really paid attention to detail and if they simply said "do this" then they covered their butts if a lazy mechanic was working on it. I suspect most back then simply put them together and started them - not priming the pumps or ensuring oil went where it should. This helped cover those that simply tossed them together and started them. And Vasoline dissolves readily in oil - or should. We even used it to keep check balls in place in automatic transmission valve body. A trick shown by the college drivetrain guy. 

Don't need no damned drill and $20 tool or adapter when you have a speed handle -  I got up to 50 psi and saw oil at every rocker arm, etc. The blue hose is my mechanical pressure gauge. 
I do use assembly lube or something "sticky" to ensure the pump gears stay lubricated until I'm ready to prime things. Dry pumps don't prime easily. 

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2021 at 10:58pm
The 195.6 flathead and OHV cannot be primed that way -- the oil pump has it's own gear, and meshes with the camshaft directly, not via the distributor. That's the fundamental issue.

The 232 is different. I have an old distributor stripped to shaft and body, I can chuck the thing in a battery drill and run it till it stalls.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2021 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

The 195.6 flathead and OHV cannot be primed that way -- the oil pump has it's own gear, and meshes with the camshaft directly, not via the distributor. That's the fundamental issue.

The 232 is different. I have an old distributor stripped to shaft and body, I can chuck the thing in a battery drill and run it till it stalls.

Yeah, I forgot the subject of your post was the flathead.......... can't prime those. 
But the TSM does talk about packing with vasoline. You were not imagining that at all. 
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2021 at 12:30am
Tom, FYI....

Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
wittsend View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittsend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2021 at 12:35pm
That answers the petroleum jelly aspect but as has been noted the 196 engine both flathead and OHV can not be spun because the oil pump gear connects directly to the camshaft.

It may be the petroleum jelly is preferred because for most car guys wheel bearing grease would be the "go to" grease and I believe that has additives that cause the grease to act as if it had threads in it. I'm thinking that would cause issues on the crank/cam bearings. Petroleum jelly just takes on an oil like consistency when hot.

I'm still of the opinion that just prior to a first time start of a 196 one of the many screws in the main oil galley can be removed and oil backfilled into the pump. It would take a little time for gravity to do its job but I see it as assistive in priming the pump. After all the second time the car is started there is no packed petroleum jelly and something has to be present for the oil pump to draw oil.
'63 American Hardtop
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2021 at 12:52pm
As I recall, we had a pressure tank to charge oil systems - remove a pipe plug, screw in a hose, and apply about 30-40 psi and oil would fill the oil system. I know I've seen it - now I can't recall if it was in the first shop I worked in or in the spare building converted to parts warehouse of the second shop I worked in. Neil had a whole lot of antique auto tools and equipment in his shop as his father had started it back in the Model A days. And the first shop was a Rambler dealership shop started in the 1950s and the guy that ran that was an Allis-Chalmers mechanic earlier than that. 

And as pointed out above - only use petroleum jelly - never grease. Grease will not necessarily dissolve in oil and can actually plug things up. I've actually seen the results of someone using grease, what a MESS. 

Edited by billd - Jun/21/2021 at 12:54pm
madams View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2021 at 4:27pm
Never worked on a 196, but I took a 1/2 gallon garden sprayer and put a valve, gauge and pipe fitting adapter on the hose.  Screw it into the oil-pressure-sender port and pre-lube them that way.  I had oil coming out everywhere it needed to be and it was pretty easy to build up to 30 psi or so.

I started out trying to build a pressurized brake bleeder but could never get the top of the master cylinder sealed well enough.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2021 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by madams madams wrote:

I started out trying to build a pressurized brake bleeder but could never get the top of the master cylinder sealed well enough.

Oh, man, even the commercial ones could be a beast to get to seal now and then. Heavy metal plate, strong clamp and a thick rubber gasket is what two of them I worked with had. And some master cylinders just didn't have the top edge machined very well and even their lids didn't seal well when clamped on. 
Kudos for trying, though. 
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2021 at 8:30pm
Haven't read all the posts but I always pack a 195.6 with petroleum jelly and oil pressure picks up every time.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic