TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

10si Alternator Conversion in ‘63 Classic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblingcrosscountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10si Alternator Conversion in ‘63 Classic
    Posted: Jun/07/2022 at 12:52pm
I am knee-deep in Roadtrip prep with my ‘63 Classic wagon, which originally had a generator. I am in the process of installing a 10si alternator. The unit is installed minus the wiring. Looking for some guidance on connecting the wires correctly. My plan is below:

-Completely disconnect all wires from voltage regulator and tape off 
-Replace orange wire with larger gauge, and connect it from the alternator primary terminal to the battery side of the starter solenoid.
-Reconnect green wire to alternator secondary post and ensure it connects to Gen light
-Connect New wire from alternator secondary post to a terminal block that is connected to the positive battery cable.

vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2022 at 1:11pm
I had trouble using a 10si in my 64 classic. I tried two and with both the indicator light would flicker a bit at low idle. Very annoying. I used a cs130 from an 89 Pontiac Safari. Light is out by the time the car starts. You will need the connector with it but otherwise it is just as easy an install.  

My car is Canadian built and 64 had an alternator so wiring will be different from yours. On the PLIS connector on the CS130 connect your indicator wire to (L)amp and the (S)ense to where you want to measure the voltage or easiest just put it to the alternator output. GM did it that way on many of their cars.
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2022 at 3:20pm
Have a look at this thread. It covers replacing a Motorola alternator, rather than a generator,  with a 10SI, but it does illustrate the usage of the 10SI.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2022 at 6:23pm
I would use a cs130 or cs140.
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
ramblingcrosscountry View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblingcrosscountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2022 at 12:29pm
Just a follow up to this thread. I ended up going the 12SI route. 

Question: if I simply reconnect my 12SI alternator the existing wires (leave the voltage regulator installed), what issues will happen?

I read that if I do this with the alternator trying to charge a dead battery, I’ll have a grilled classic on my hands. Let’s assume I’m smart enough to not do that.
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2022 at 1:06pm
If your 12SI has an internal regulator, then keeping the external regulator will only cause you grief. A properly operating alternator won't catch fire, no matter how low the battery charge is.
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2022 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by bigbad69 bigbad69 wrote:

If your 12SI has an internal regulator, then keeping the external regulator will only cause you grief. A properly operating alternator won't catch fire, no matter how low the battery charge is.

No but the wiring might if the alternator is putting out ±100 amps on old wiring that's not rated for it. It won't be the first one that caught fire because it wasn't done right the first time. Ermm

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2022 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

it wasn't done right the first time. Ermm
Thank you Mike Holmes! Wink
ramblingcrosscountry View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblingcrosscountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2022 at 12:37pm
So to y’all’s point about doing it right, that’s why I’m asking. I’m unable to attach pics to the forum, so I can’t show what I’m thinking so far.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2022 at 12:16am
You can run a discrete 10 or 8 gauge wire from alternator stud to battery plus (or starter stud that has battery cable on it), leaving the factory harness alone, and solve it. Least change and clean solution. 

Crimp with a real crimper, not pliers or those cheap flat ones. If that's what you got (ratchet crimpers ste not cheap) then solder after crimping. 

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic