TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Flowmaster 50 Delta Flow or Magnaflow?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblRumble_63_19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flowmaster 50 Delta Flow or Magnaflow?
    Posted: Apr/22/2019 at 4:09pm
Which one should I choose? Can't decide between these 2. Just replacing stock muffler in stock location transverse behind the axle, no changes in pipes. Stock is to quiet, can't even hear the 327 note at idle. 

I want noticeable idle/rumble/"blub-blub", and strong noticeable tone on acceleration. Noticeable at cruise (w/windows down) but barely noticeable in car with windows up. 
Leaning towards the Flowmaster 50 Delta flow, but not certain yet. Found this on other thread that's steering me towards the 50. 

Originally posted by SEdmonds SEdmonds wrote:

I can listen to my radio and maintain a conversation on my car with the Flowmaster 50's....and it's a wagon, which means you get more noise from the back, anyway. We did a lot of sound proofing on my car when we had it stripped down. I didn't want it to be ridiculously loud, but I did want it a low rumble. Most of the noise comes when you start it up.

What are your thoughts? I know lots of opinions on here but knowing what I'm after, what's your vote?
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2019 at 4:48pm
Exhaust tone is really a matter of personal opinion, but one thing is for sure. The Flowmaster muffler is a chambered design so whatever it sounds like the day you install it is what it will sound like for ever. On the other hand, the Magnaflow is a packed muffler that will get louder as the packing material inside deteriorates with use/age.   
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2019 at 8:03pm
I ran delta 50's on my 401 hornet, loved them, now running delta 40's on my 401 Javelin and 401 Gremlin, love them, can talk comfortably cruising.
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
tached_out View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tached_out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2019 at 9:55pm
Outside of the car, Magnaflows will have a more mellow tone. You can hear the ping of the pressure waves in the chambers of the Flowmasters. 

Inside, going down the road, with the Magnaflows, you'll get a bit of a drone without an X or H pipe. Not as bad (if at all) with the 50 Series Delta flow. 

Glenn

motorhead_1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motorhead_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2019 at 11:26pm
Hooker super comp turbo muffler!
Had them on my javelin and on my rambler
The Concord will get them if it doesn't get side pipes
69 SC/Rambler tribute 401/th400, 68 Rebel SST LSA, 66 F100 460/c6, 88 Merkur Xr4Ti, 71 Jaguar XJ6 LS1, 08 Supercharged Tundra
kenoshakicker View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenoshakicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2019 at 2:58am
IMHO a Flowmaster  50 is about as close to stock as one can get.  A friend put one on his truck and was very disappointed.  He wanted something louder than stock but we could not tell any difference. IMHO go with a 40, not too loud but not too quiet.
ChillyB View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChillyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2019 at 5:55am
As if written descriptions arent difficult enough, the same muffler can have a fairly different tone depending on construction of rest of exhaust, compression ratio, and cam timing.  Its a difficult question you ask.  Listening to cars with comparable engines (size, CR, cam more than brand) and exhaust configuration (2-2 vs 2-1) is really the only way to know if you really have your heart set on aparticular  tone.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2019 at 7:00am
Flowmaster 40s were way too loud in my 63 wagon with the muffler tucked up between the axle and fuel tank. Of course with the back open more sound probably comes in than with a sedan. I changed to a generic turbo muffler, but that's probably too quiet for you.  Nice enough tone at idle/low speed through a parking lot that I've had people comment about it though. With the FM 40 I couldn't listen to the radio and talk to a passenger -- it was one or the other! So the bit quieter 50 might be the ticket.   Oh, I was running a 4.6L stroker six at the time -- hopped up 4.0L now with same exhaust system sounds about the same.  Single 2.25" exhaust system front to back. As noted, the 327 will sound different, and you have duals. So a pair of turbos might be good... will be louder than stock muffler for sure.
Frank Swygert
RamblRumble_63_19 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblRumble_63_19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2019 at 7:14pm
Thanks for all the comments! Turns out exhaust pipes rusted enough to replace too. 
Apparently there isn't enough space for a Flowmaster in the stock location (behind axle, in front of gas tank) even mounted transversely. The stock muffler is mounted slightly transverse and hangs down a bit. Apparently (muffler shop) all the Flowmasters are too big. Seems odd..? 
Magnaflow has a round muffler, going to try, if that doesn't work, thinking a glasspack. Anyone experienced space issue on the Ramblers in that stock location? Any thoughts on MF's round vs typical glasspack? 
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2019 at 7:33pm
I always liked the sound of Walker dynomax mufflers 
Specializing in dyno services, engine building, and cylinder head porting

rbjracing.com
Phone Number 518-915-3203
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic