TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Quadrajet problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quadrajet problem
    Posted: Aug/06/2015 at 9:23pm
Hello,
I have an AMC 360 engine with a QJ. The engine will only idle with the idle screw all the way in, starting to run on the primaries.

The engine has 9.6:1 compression and a Lunati Voodoo 262/268 cam, as well as a quadrajet. The carb I rebuilt myself (first time, so I may have messed something up), number 17058253, which does not have idle air bypass. I started with the idle screws one turn out and turned them 1/2 turn at the time, with no results. Timing is 20deg initial, 35 total. When I rebuilt the carb, I blew compressed air through the idle circuit and everything seemed clear.
I have the same cam in an Olds 455 and it idles quite nicely, with a slight lope.
Any suggestions?
Thank you.
Mikel
amc401t10 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc401t10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2015 at 7:14am
I have a q-jet on my 455 Pontiac powered rebel.
It has been reworked to run with a cam change(lunati voodoo tq monster).
Buy cliff ruggles carb book,
Lots of helpfully info for turning a q-jet, I am real happy with mine.

pics

Edited by amc401t10 - Aug/07/2015 at 7:20am
1-owner 74 gremlin x 401, t10,3.73 12 bolt,750carb,reed 250@50 cam, roller rockers,msd,offy int.
72 amc matador 401 727
84 j10 ,360, 727
1970 4-door rebel sleeper(455 pontiac,turbo 400)
79 spirit,4.2
toolmanxiii View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolmanxiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2015 at 9:24am
Running a big cam we had to drill 3/64 holes adjacent to the Idle port in the primary butterfly's. this allowed just enough air to idle but not enough to pull fuel through the primaries.  some of the big cam big block's did this from Factory . 

Edited by toolmanxiii - Aug/07/2015 at 9:44am
71 360 Hornet sst 83 2wd 360/727 Eagle wagon (crashed)
imagechanger View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imagechanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2015 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by amc401t10 amc401t10 wrote:

I have a q-jet on my 455 Pontiac powered rebel.
It has been reworked to run with a cam change(lunati voodoo tq monster).
Buy cliff ruggles carb book,
Lots of helpfully info for turning a q-jet, I am real happy with mine.

pics

The Cliff Ruggles Q-Jet book is a must have. Tons of info and how-to tips to get them dialed in. It has a section on modifying the baseplate for idle bypass air. Might help your problem.
Mikel View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2015 at 10:08pm
Hello,
I have a quadrajet from a '72 Toronado, which does have idle air bypass holes. I put it in to see how it would do, and it does idle much better.
Since I rebuilt the first one, who knows if there is something wrong with it, so I'll be trying the second one for a while.
Thank you all.
Mikel
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic