TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Trunnion removal for V-8 cars only

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Rogue343 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogue343 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2015 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by dpimm dpimm wrote:

with the wheels off and the car on jack stands, the weight of the engine and trans are irrelevant because the front suspension is not holding weight... there may be a minimal load on the spring just from the compression between the frame rail and the upper control arm, but that is it... 

I can see AMXFSTBK390's point.  Even though the suspension is not supporting the vehicle weight, the engine and trans are adding about 1,000 pounds of weight to the body.  Even though a lot of the pressure has been taken off the spring, the engine and trans weight are holding the body in place to counteract any loaded pressure there still is in the spring.  Would be curious to see what the fellow who developed this procedure has to say.  
1967 Rambler Rogue 'X' code 343 4 speed
1966 Rambler American 440 4 door Factory 290 (now 360) 4 speed VIN 100003
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2015 at 7:03pm
This reminds my of when my father told me about a time when he disobeyed a direct order during WWll. The company commander ordered my father to take his men across a field in Germany. My Dad refused because he said the field was mined. The Captain said, "No it isn't, I'll show you." The Captain drove his Jeep part way across the field, and KABOOM!

Edited by AMXFSTBK390 - Aug/08/2015 at 3:15pm
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2015 at 2:57pm
I guess Jim is not available for his thoughts. I was hoping dpimm would get back to us, by now. Maybe no news is bad news? After reading the beginning of this thread, I considered installing my engine and transmission from underneath, by removing the cross member and front suspension, with the use of a motorcycle lift. Engine is still on the stand and M12 on a rolling platform. It would be perfect timing to rebuild and paint the entire front suspension and steering, too.
dpimm View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpimm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2015 at 3:02pm
I texted Jim over the weekend and did not hear back. I will email him this afternoon
dpimm View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpimm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2015 at 6:51pm
here is a copy and paste of what Jim sent to me... 

"Without the weight of the engine in the car you usually need two or three of your friends to sit on the fender so you can get the spring in or out without lifting the car off the jack stands it's sitting on. Regards, Jim

So... there you go.

DP
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2015 at 8:01pm
Back to square one. Who sells 68-69 trunnion spring compressors? Never liked the idea of one person sitting on a fender, let alone three people. EGADS!
javman7 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javman7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2015 at 10:24pm
I did this procedure on my rogue today. It was a piece of cake. Thanks for the good tread.
dpimm View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpimm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2015 at 10:39pm
the other option, and this is just McGuyver engineering, is to bolt some concrete anchors, the type you use for motorcycles, to the floor of the garage and run tied down/ratchet straps to/thru the cross-member. 4 would be more than enough to secure the car.

Edited by dpimm - Aug/11/2015 at 10:43pm
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2015 at 11:09pm
dpimm- Ya got my creative juices flowing. The AMX is on jack stands on a concrete garage floor. No place to anchor the tie downs. There is plenty of room to run two 2 x 6s across the front frame rails, front and back of engine bay. One 2x6 by the master cylinder, second 2x6 by the steering box. Then, span the 2 x 6's with 3/4" plywood, and stack barbell weights on the plywood. I have all the stuff. Have 250 lbs in barbell weights, a spare 390 bare block, and two extra bare 390 heads. About 550 lbs altogether. That should do it. Okay, moving forward.

Edited by AMXFSTBK390 - Aug/17/2015 at 7:11pm
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2015 at 6:14am
Weight is weight! Just has to be in the right place, and you've got that covered.
Putting the engine and trans in from the bottom is easier than from the top. Can alter front end alignment slightly though. That's how the factory put them in! You just need to be able to lift the body up high enough. If you have a lift it's easy... and not to hard with a cherry picker attached to the bumper mounts with a chain. Rolling engine stand low to the floor helps! Leave carb off to reduce height, and I typically leave the head off a six.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic