TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Wake up 287v8

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2013 at 7:10am
Thinking more about the modifying of later pipes headers by Ed make the flanges and gaskets for the Rambler V8. using their gaskets and then welding their flanges to the other headers would be the most economical route though not economical in bend  cut  weld time.

T S
typhooner View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote typhooner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2013 at 7:21am
I seem to recall hearing a long time ago about a Studebaker V8 intake being modified to fit the Rambler V8............or maybe it was another engine. They used a Studebaker 3 deuce intake. Anyone remember this?
1969 Hurst SC/Rambler A Scheme
1969 Rebel Raider Electric Green    1962 IH/AMC SC/out
Slate View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Slate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2013 at 4:07pm
http://www.wps.com/AMC/Rambler-327/intake%20manifold.htm
Shows one possible intake idea, but of more practicality is an old article on modifying the 327. Since that time choices like the header flanges and gaskets have become available.
  The H.A.M.B. would be a good place to start for getting an old timer to remember about old speed tricks including 3 X 2 intakes and other off the wall modificationsSmile

T S
Rebel 327 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rebel 327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2013 at 7:47am
How much time and effort do you want to spend?  How much money do you want to invest?
Putting a factory 4V intake on a 287 may not really gain you much.  It is a very low value improvement without making other changes.  Getting a better 2V would be the least expensive and immediate change you could make.  Take a look at the Rochester 2-Jet.  You will need a spacer or mill the holes in the intake as the butterflies are larger.  Spacers are quick and cheap.  IF CFM flow is your goal (why you are putting on a 4V, right) when this is an easy deal.
Cams--yes this is a good idea.  When I called Isky--they told me they could grind me a 3/4 race cam.  When I asked about some spec's the guy hemmed and hawed so I decided not to waste my time with them.  I found a source and they have done several of these for me.  I have one if you need. 
Exhaust--making header flanges is not big deal.  Cutting and welding pipes is.  Lots of work but good for some HP.
Intake--Any AMC aluminum will work.  For a 287, maybe a performer.  Making two 1/2 thick spacers for adaptors is a little time consuming and a Bridgeport mill or simular would be a big help.  Bolting them together is an option but it looks so hokey.  Find a welder and do it right. The HP gains will be WELL worth the effort.--best bang for the buck.
Heads--Now this is Stage 2 or something for you--put bigger valves in and do your best bench porting job.  Chevy 305 valves work great--1.5 Intake and 1.84 Exhaust at 4.910 length.  Need new guides due to stem difference.
Rockers--good luck.  Make your own from something else.
so...how much time and money do you have?

Edited by Rebel 327 - Mar/27/2013 at 7:01pm
Rebel 327 4-speed
97hoe1 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 97hoe1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2013 at 9:16pm
I didnt want to spend a ton of money, maybe around $500 worth to do easy upgrades. I can do a simple bowl and port job on the heads at home, just to get a little better flow. I have time on my hands but limited AMC knowledge Ouch I dont think I want to go into putting bigger valves in just yet, but I am going into it to replace a couple lifters and figured why not throw in a camshaft!
@Rebel,
How much are you looking for the cam? Do you have any specs on it, and can I keep my factory valvetrain? 
Rebel 327 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel 327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2013 at 6:23am
I would not install the cam in old heads with 50 year old springs and such.  It is hydraulic lifter and 217 degrees duration at .454" valve lift. It should work with 287 no problem since the pistons are so far in the hole.  Of course you would need to check (disclaimer). In my opinion, "porting" heads and not at least grinding the valves and seats would be a waste--I assume you were getting at least a valve job.  I wish I had more time as I would offer to do a set of heads for you and exchange, maybe if you are patient.  Cam $185.

Edited by Rebel 327 - Mar/27/2013 at 7:02pm
Rebel 327 4-speed
tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2013 at 7:58am
HOw much for just the cam

used6550 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote used6550 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2016 at 11:27pm
Hello Rocklandrambler,   I know this is an old posting, BUT ! !, if this manifold is still available, Please let me know. . I especially like the fact that you weren't looking for a bunch of bucks cause I'm stuck on S.S.D. for the rest of my life & can't afford much. . . Any Help Would Be Greatly Appreciated. . .   Pete . .  God Bless . . .   P.S. I am also in need of a camshaft in good, usable condition. . . Yes, my motor is a 287. . . 
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2016 at 5:33am
I would love to see someone try an electric leaf blower supercharger on one of these driveway dinosaurs :-)
Gremlin Dreams
Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2016 at 5:54am
Look at xrv8 gremlin in members projects to see the untapped potential of these ultra reliable driveway dinosaurs.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic