TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

New to the forum, need MAJOR help with my 390

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to the forum, need MAJOR help with my 390
    Posted: Dec/27/2012 at 1:04am
I am just starting a restoration on a 1969 Javelin SST.

The engine has been sitting outside for 22 years unsealed and i am currently disassembling to see what (if anything) is salvageable. I have been shopping around the big box stored for parts and im finding little to nothing. Where is a god place to search out things like a crankshaft (OEM or aftermarket), rods, and pistons?

And if anyone has any extra information that would help me that would be great. I'm 21 and the car belonged to my uncle and was given to me just a few weeks ago. I am a technician by trade, but carburetors and old school stuff were well before my time and as I am sure many of you know, there are little to no resources out there about AMC stuff.

thanks in advance.
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2012 at 1:47am
Welcome! The crank and other bits should be fairly easy to get in the for sale section of this site. If you can't find one, let me know, I might have a source. 

What are your plans for the car, stock, mild or wild? I would suggest poking back through the old threads here and you will find lots. Lots of knowledgable and helpful folks here to help as well, so just ask if you can't find it. 

Parts are not as hard to find as you might think. Galvins AMC parts, American Parts Depot and several other suppliers here will have all you need. The issue is often more about parts men (and women) that don't know a carburetor from a low carb muffin, but many of the mechanicals have been kept available because of the jeep thing. 

Looking forward to hearing how it goes!

Chris 
BassBoat View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BassBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2012 at 6:24am
In most any condition the block and crank can be salvaged.  The crank is forged, so it is a good starting point.  Two places for parts I use are Campbell Enterprises and Flatlander Racing.  
What very few vendors will tell you is how to interchange aftermarket 401 pistons and rods with early 390 parts.  The 390 deck is shorter, the 390 rods are shorter, but most of the difference is made up in the pistons.  You can get Wiseco pistons with rings and K1 rods for a 401 to work in your 390.  I think they go to 045 over on pistons, so that is why I am guessing the block is usable.
good luck!   
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2012 at 7:45am
You did not say what trany is in the car and if it is any good or not but you may want to look into another motor/trany to drop in to get it running and in time do up the 390.

I have a 360 that sat outside so long the valve covers rotted off it. Just trying to pull the timming cover was a night mare and is still not off yet, dist. does not want to come out, so I dont know what I will find when I get back to it. BTW it was a spare parts motor so not a big deal to me.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2012 at 8:29am
Lots of vendors here. I always give Northern ( out of Sioux City IA) a call as well as Rock Auto on the web.
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2012 at 9:49am
The block will most likely have pits on the cylinder walls that are too deep to bore to a max of .060 over or 4.225 so you may need at least one or more sleeves to save the block. Sleeves done correctly are every bit as good as the original bore so there are no issues there. If the rods were tight on the crankshaft they will likely still be good unless they too are pitted. Regardless, used 68/69 390 rods are still in good supply (many of us have multiple sets) and as long as you have everything rebalanced, should be fine.

Stock replacement cast pistons are available from EGGE and forged replacement 68/69 390 pistons are available from Bulltear, Alfano Performance and Diamond. Custom forged pistons are also available from the same as well as from Wiseco. And as BB suggested, you can use Wiseco's off the shelf 401 forged pistons not only on the K-1 rods but you can also mix and match 401 and 390 piece parts to make a kick arse engine as well.

If you determine that you need some new parts for your engine, be sure to post what you need here on the forum and forum members will no doubt be able to help you out. Rest assured, there are no shortage of options for your engine.

Edited by amx39068 - Dec/27/2012 at 9:50am
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2012 at 11:09am
X2 on what everyone else has said.  Since you appear to be a Gen Y-er, your computer skills ought to be quite advanced, meaning that you can search for AMC-related parts, etc...and easily find them.
1969 Rebel SST (1970-1987)
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
1969 SC/Rambler (2011-2019)
1970 Javelin (2019 to ?)"Jane"
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2012 at 6:15pm
Really the only thing that is hard to get is sheet metal. There are some patch panels but nothing like the Mustang and Camaro completely new body shells made in China. Other then that you can get every thing else you can get for a either those cars you can get for an AMC . It just costs a little more money. Including fuel injection (Edelbrock and a couple others)  , updated suspension and brakes. There are a good 4 plus full time AMC part vendors specializing in AMC restoration plus another 3 or 4 plus parts vendors who specialize in parts for AMC engines. Also Summit has a pretty much every thing for AMC it has any other car , just not in it's catalogs, BUT in it's on line web site.   The people on this forum will be able to point you in the right direction for any thing you need. LRDaum
 < ="text/" ="" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">
LRDaum
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2012 at 9:28pm
Your getting into AMC's at the right time! There are a lot of resources now and this site is just one of them.   Also there are new performance parts comming out for AMC engine builds pretty much annually now so you shouldnt have any trouble doing whatever you want to that 390.
brharris View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2012 at 1:49am
wow guys, thank you for all of the information, I will spend a good chunk of the weekend doing more homework. I just finished tearing down the motor to the bare bones. Tons of pictures to share but i have to work in just 6 short hours so ill post them up tomorrow and you guys can give me your thoughts.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic