TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

One H.P. per cubic Inch??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amchornet1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: One H.P. per cubic Inch??
    Posted: Sep/12/2012 at 9:00pm
Could a guy build a 1 h.p. per cubic inch moter without a turbo/blower or nitrous? What would it take? I am interested in your ideas on how to do it. Mabey one big carb mabey six small ones mabey a really tweaked out fuel injection? I dont know. Just wondering what a guy would have to do or if its even possiable..just think a 258 with 258 h.p.Wink

Edited by amchornet1970 - Sep/12/2012 at 9:03pm
Joe
1976 hornet sedan 258 4.0 head mpfi
1985 Eagle sedan
1993 grand jeep Np242
http://s12.photobucket.com/user/amchornet/profile/
whizkidder View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whizkidder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2012 at 9:05pm
Rick Jones recently built a 383 (stroked 360) that pulled over 400 hp on the dyno w/o any power adders, and did it for less than a grand over the cost of a standard 360 rebuild.

Edelbrock advertises over 400 hp for their "top end kit," eddy heads, air gap, and big cam for the 401 -- again, just bolt ons with no power adders, so 1HP/CI is easily achievable.
Ron Frost
marne1ancient @ gmail.com
910 nine two two 0563

"There is no limit to what a man can do, so long as he does not care a straw who gets credit for it. Charles Montague
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2012 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by whizkidder whizkidder wrote:

Rick Jones recently built a 383 (stroked 360) that pulled over 400 hp on the dyno w/o any power adders, and did it for less than a grand over the cost of a standard 360 rebuild.

Edelbrock advertises over 400 hp for their "top end kit," eddy heads, air gap, and big cam for the 401 -- again, just bolt ons with no power adders, so 1HP/CI is easily achievable.
That is for v8's not a 6 cyl where this is posted.
What did Turob Tom on a "low tune" pull with his 6 cyl and yes I know it was turbo charged but it is a start as I dont know of any one else that has put a 6 cyl on a dyno.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
whizkidder View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whizkidder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2012 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by FuzzFace2 FuzzFace2 wrote:

Originally posted by whizkidder whizkidder wrote:

That is for v8's not a 6 cyl where this is posted.
What did Turob Tom on a "low tune" pull with his 6 cyl and yes I know it was turbo charged but it is a start as I dont know of any one else that has put a 6 cyl on a dyno.

Dave ----

Duh. Must be too late!
Ron Frost
marne1ancient @ gmail.com
910 nine two two 0563

"There is no limit to what a man can do, so long as he does not care a straw who gets credit for it. Charles Montague
toolmanxiii View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolmanxiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2012 at 4:29am
It is possible in the l6 . Its all in the head and cam work. We were building 200+ HP 232 and 258's in the mid 70's . these were track only engines but I put one in a spirit a couple years ago and it worked really well. the man that did the actual head work passed 20 years ago and the company closed . I still have the spec sheets and posted them here a while back.  I'm not sure if some of the parts required are still available or not . or where you could get someone to spend 200hrs on a head and not cost 2 arms and a leg.  

71 360 Hornet sst 83 2wd 360/727 Eagle wagon (crashed)
2drwgn View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2drwgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2012 at 8:18am
Titan Engines here in Ocala claim around 300hp on some of their strokers. Lots of different parts and a cam of their own design ground by Crane.
1966 American convert
4.0 FI AW4
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2012 at 11:04am
  A stock 4.0 in some years is 190hp out of 240-244 ci,  that seems within a practicle shooting distance of 1hp per ci.   And that's usable, streetable power .
 It just depends on what kind of use you want to put this power.   Do you want to able to drive this often,  on the street ?   Or are you just interested in going down a strip?
  I think some sensible,  moderate, modifications on a stock 4.0 would get you close to that magic figure,  and it'd still be something you could drive every day.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
toolmanxiii View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolmanxiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2012 at 11:33am
71 360 Hornet sst 83 2wd 360/727 Eagle wagon (crashed)
33admin33 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 33admin33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2012 at 12:21pm
Let's dispel a few myths - and one is how much you gain by a K&N filter and the swept intake on a 4.0......

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/engine/154_0911_jeep_4_liter_engine_myth_busting_true_lies/

These guys have some better facts, and more correct than most.
The jeep folks - the real die-hards who know, who have done the work will show you their K&N filters and other garbage tossed on a shelf in the garage somewhere.

Keep in mind they reference the stock 4.0, however, it's all a system so generically stating you WILL gain xx HP with this or that is just plain incompetent. In some cases, just making a switch of one part can LOSE power or MPG, it's often needed in association with another change. Very few engine parts operate so totally independent that you have real gains by a single swap - especially when we are talking engines from the 90s up, and the 4.0 specifically - it was already well-engineered, well thought-out and was out performing almost all over production 6s in the US and many V8s in its day.

That being said, I suspect getting to 258 hp on a 258 that is naturally aspirated is possible without breaking the bank, and still being able to drive it.
A 4.0 could do better without going to a radical build or budget, too - however, those internet claims of "just change this and gain 10 hp" are often hot air. Show me the dyno chart.

When I can scrape together the funds, I do plan on putting the little Eagle on a dyno - curious as to just what it IS doing, as it's very easy to tell, very obvious to me it's far more than any 258 i have ever owned or driven - especially on a cool damp day.(I need to figure out how to get cold air to the intake now)
SIXPAK View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SIXPAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2012 at 3:11pm
< ="" ="text/" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">
Originally posted by amchornet1970 amchornet1970 wrote:

Could a guy build a 1 h.p. per cubic inch moter without a turbo/blower or nitrous? What would it take? I am interested in your ideas on how to do it. Mabey one big carb mabey six small ones mabey a really tweaked out fuel injection? I dont know. Just wondering what a guy would have to do or if its even possiable..just think a 258 with 258 h.p.Wink

Very easy to do. Just have to get a good guideline of what it's use will be for.
Sand is for Racing Asphalt is for getting there!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic