TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Fuel Regulator to Carb Connections

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel Regulator to Carb Connections
    Posted: Dec/09/2010 at 8:37pm
Just bought a Holley blue fuel pump & regulator. The regulator has two outputs (for dual carb application). I've just got a single carb but it's a dual inlet. Is it better to use both regulator outputs to feed both carb inlets or just one regulator output feeding both carb inlets?

Thanks,
-Steve-

Grey Ghost View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Ghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2010 at 9:08pm
On my engine Iuse the single outlet, it just looks neater.
Lets go racing!
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2010 at 9:22pm
I'd just run the single
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2010 at 11:21pm
Unaware if it's "better" or not, or just a preferense.
A dual feed holley fuel line requires a Tee of some sort, and the Regulator is a Tee,
so the (2) regulator outlets were used to feed each fuel bowl.
In the Holley book by Alex Walordy he suggest it best to have
the Regulator as close to the carb as possible.
There are brackets available that mount the reg next to the carb centered on the pass side.
Edelbrock offers a #8192 "kit" with ftgs, lines, regulator, and a reg mtg sandwich plate brkt.
Designed and fabricated my own reg mtg brkt out of sheet metal.
This also solves the "standard" dual line and AMC stock coil mtg location plumbing delima.

Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2010 at 11:49am
Phat,

Thanks for the pics. I'm still debating whether to install the regulator on the shock tower or install it as you did. My only real concern with the regulator right at the carb is the heat coming off the intake.

Anyhow, another question for you... how do you have your fuel line routed in your AMX from the tank to the regulator? Is it coming up the passenger side?

Thanks,
-Steve-

Edited by Rebel Machine - Dec/10/2010 at 11:50am
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2010 at 3:08pm

As said dont know if better but I run 1 out of reg. The pictures below is before I added a fuel psi gauge out on the cowl. the carb outlet is now on the front port and the small line to gauge is on the back.

http://cars.grantskingdom.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=723&g2_serialNumber=2

http://cars.grantskingdom.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=720&g2_serialNumber=2

Dave ----

Edited by FuzzFace2 - Dec/10/2010 at 3:13pm
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2010 at 4:21pm
Being yet a somewhat low buck operation, still running the stock
tank pickup, short 5/16 rubber hose out back, stock 5/16 suction line,
to a Carter M6906 Mech Pump, with 3/8 steel line from Pump,
up and around back of distributor along timing cover,
up around front pass corner of intake, to a 3/8 inverted flare Union,
to a 3/8 hose barb, short length 3/8 hose, to a Moroso Smooth Flow Elbow
3/8 hose barb to 3/8 Male Pipe screwed into Regulato bottom inlet.
Regulator is somewhat insulated from intake heat as it is suspended
by the bracket that mounts off of (2) carb studs.
Wondered about more heat exsposure from headers / exhaust when inner fender mounted,
if nothing else than the fuel line/lines going from fender over to carburetor.
The Edelbrock 8192 Dual  Line kit is a good value at ~$115 + tax & ship
as it has (2) carb inlet ftgs, (2) short #6 AN Carb Fuel Lines, a 4-1/2 to 9 PSI Regulator,
(2) 3/8 Male Pipe to #6 AN Reulator Ftgs with 1/8 female NPT Gauge ports,
a 3/8 male pipe x #8 AN 90 deg elbow for regulator input,
and a billet aluminum regulator mounting "sandwhich" plate for between carb and intake flange.
Since making only maybe 400 HP, I run the Holley #162-500 Sintered Bronze Fuel Bowl Inlet Filters
that fit right in the stock Holley Dual Feed Fuel Bowl inlets behind the Inlet Fittings.

Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2010 at 7:55am

I personally would use both outlets of the reg. to feed the carb...I use the big holley regulator with a much bigger pump but the small reg. will work fine with smaller pumps....

That holley blue pump will drive you out of your car if your doing much driving with it..I like the mallory 140 pump on a street/strip car.... much MUCH quieter...
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2010 at 6:27pm

Yeah, I've heard they're really noisey. Had a Holley red pump in my old Gremlin, it was tolereable.

Here's what I've got in mind to quiet the Holley blue pump.

I'll make a bracket that will be sandwiched between the two heater hoses.

-Steve-

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic