TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

conversion to electronic ignition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ekrieger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: conversion to electronic ignition
    Posted: Jul/21/2010 at 10:45am
I have a 1966 rambler with a 1970 258. I would like to  switch to an electronic distributor. What is the best choice for this motor?
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2010 at 11:30am
You can drop a Chevrolet HEI distributor into that engine with a gear change.
I dropped in the dist from a GM pickup 250cid I6, put on a 1981 (or was it 1982) AMC V8 gear and ran that in my Eagle 258 for quite a while.
It's then stock ignition parts, (you can get parts ANYWHERE), it's simple, and you can find them in a lot of junk yards.
I think I had 50 or 60 bucks in it when done.
ramblinfsj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinfsj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2010 at 11:42am
That's the way to do it! I didn't know you could drop a Chevy I6 distributor in an AMC with a gear change until after I spent $200 for an aftermarket one from CRT Performance.
1982 Jeep J-20
1965 Rambler American 220
1978 Jeep Cherokee w/401
1983 Jeep J-10
1979 Concord DL 2dr
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2010 at 11:44am
Some of the 4x4 shops sell the gears as a performance upgrade for those wanting to drop a GM HEI into their Jeep 258.
I bought a gear off a fellow on eBay who had a few and was selling them.
I bet a few salvage yard AMC engines are missing their distributor gears! LOL
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2010 at 12:06pm
There are two other ways, both just as good as a GM HEI.

1. Pertronix Ignitor. This little jewel screws in in place of the points. You just have to run a switched +12V wire to it and you're good to go. The best thing is it looks stock (except for the extra wire) and if it happens to fail you can keep a set of points and a condenser in the glove box and be on your way again in a matter of minutes. Works best with a hotter than stock coil, but does fine with stock.

2. Motorcraft distributor from a 1977-89 AMC/Jeep 258 (4.2L) six. Easy to find, and there are easy upgrades. The "TFI Upgrade" uses a late model Ford 300 big cap and rotor adapter and a TFI coil. You have to use the 300 six wires too (they have a better cap connector end). Best with the hotter TFI coil (the cap was made bigger to prevent cross firing from the hotter coil), but you can use a hotter aftermarket coil if you prefer. If you don't like the Motorcraft ignition box you can use a GM HEI module with a little rewiring. See http://www.wps.com/AMC/distributor/index.html for info on the Motorcraft swap. Near the bottom of the page is a link to the HEI Module hack, but that one no longer works (I'll let Tom know!). Here's a link to that -- something I plan on doing with my Jeep later: http://www.fordmuscle.com/forums/ignition-articles/492810-tricky-trick-hei-module-inside-duraspark-case.html

Edited by farna - Jul/21/2010 at 12:23pm
Frank Swygert
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2010 at 12:42pm
I guess I love the cheap, simple, single-wire process. Pull dist from donor Chebbie.
Put late model AMC v8 gear on said distributor.
Pull your old dist out and put in a bag as a spare.
Put in HEI, run single 12v ignition source to coil/dist.
Start, time, enjoy.
Costs - hei dist from junk yard, gear. (2 parts needed, gear and GM dist)
Have a breakdown? Go to NAPA, Advance, WALMART, buy GM HEI parts
OR, drop your old dist back in, connect to coil, go.

Ford fans go with the TFI - that works, too, but I don't like to think that hard or search for parts....  HAHA. (and I don't like the extra box and wiring personally, that's just me. Some ford folks don't mind it at all. I've seen a number of Eagle and Jeep folks convert to the TFI, the info is all over the web, and it works fine.
Thikstik View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thikstik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2010 at 4:47pm
I like Farna's strategy, and the thing with sticking with a stock dizzy is that u retain the good mechanical advance provided in early year dizz calibrations.  I had to modify  weights (grind on them to gi ve enough advance) when changing to a chev I6 dizz.  Its oe curve was squalid and would have lowered performance if just put into an older car that had a decent dizz curve.
75 gremlin x, jeep 4.0 headed 258,
264H Cliff cam, intake,header. 390 holley. I want a 282 VAM motor!

AC/PS/PDB.

72 AMX , 304 2bbl, 3speed, now disks...probably will sell, want an automatic /AC.

pleontks View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pleontks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2010 at 1:59am
Bad advance curve with the Chevy distributors and the eBay HEIs. On My 74 Gremlin 258 I've upgraded from points to AMC electronic dist from an Eagle wagon. I replaced the crappy module with the Chevy HEI module. Also did cap and riser from a ford to cut the crossfire. Ford E-Core coil, 8mm wires, .45 spark plug gap.
Did the same on my 76 J-10 w/360. Both run so much better.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2010 at 6:43am
You should ALWAYS check the curve of ANY dist put in anyway and that being the case, the GM HEI is the cheapest easiest. Pop it in a distributor machine and curve it to your needs.
If you are buying other distributors and putting them in, then what's the diff?
Buy a recurve kit and spend a few minutes. You should any time you move a distributor from one car to another, even if all you are doing is upgrades. Remember, the stock ignition as supplied in AMC vehicles was intended to minimize emissions, not enhance performance. So moving to an Eagle ignition system is no better than ignition from GM of that era! They had very conservative timing.
I've had nothing but bad luck and pain from the Eagle/FORD motorcrap electronic ignitions and could not wait to yank that system out of my Eagle. Can't tell you how many control boxes I've replaced as well as the pickup coils due to bad wires (when advance kicked in, ignition would kick out).
Hopefully, by now, all have been replaced by better replacements and those days are done. I'd never go back to that complex convoluted wiring system they used in the Eagles and those crazy motorcrap connectors.
I'd absolutely move to the larger cap system if keeping a ford system in my AMC.
hoosieramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoosieramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2010 at 7:19am
  The 250 HEI is the best bang for the buck on the 199-232-258 engines in my opinion as well. The curve is conservative but still better than the Motorcraft. The Ford modules are junk. I got tired of carrying a spare in the car so I wouldn't get stranded!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic