TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Edelbrock Reman Carb

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMX401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Edelbrock Reman Carb
    Posted: Nov/15/2009 at 1:16am
Hey All.  I'm on my 2nd Eddy 600cfm reman carb, both ran extremely rich and I can't seem to lean them out.  Also, both carbs have fuel dribbling out the drivers side primary venturi after the car is shut off...it also does it if I fire it up for a few minutes so it's not a heat issue plus I have a 1" phenolic spacer as well.  On the first carb, the dribbling fuel dripped on the throttle valve and ended up leaking at the linkage and forming a pool of gas on the intake....the current carb has the odd drip on the intake but not like the previous one.

I checked float levels, cleaned all orifices, etc, my fuel is from a stock style fuel pump and runs a steady 6psi...

Spoke with tech services and they had no idea what the issue is, suggested exchanging it again.

A buddy said he went through 3 of them, finally refunded the reman and bought a new unit...no problems after that.

Anyone else have these kind of issues?
Regards,
Jeff...
70 71 72 AMXs View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70 71 72 AMXs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2009 at 3:43pm
Have yet to have a good experience with the small Edelbrock carbs. 750cfm and up seem ok.
Bruce
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2009 at 4:21pm
My thoughts exactly. I need a bigger one for my car. Too small, too lean according to several folks.

6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2009 at 7:05pm
I have not had any rebuilts, but the several new ones I have bought all worked perfectly right out of the box.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
amxkid View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2009 at 9:04pm
I have had to rebuilt and one new and they all ran right out of the box also.

Just a question. Is your idle (screws and such correct for your engine). I had one that would dribble out of the primaries like that. Had to much on the main idle screw. It was past the idle transfer slot causing fuel to be sucked through the primary jets.

Good luck
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2009 at 10:02pm
So far over the last couple of years here, I've heard everything from:
Runs great right out of the box
and
Runs too rich out of the box
and
Runs too lean out of the box
to...... runs like crap.
Bottom line, there's not a single carb anyone can sell that will run perfectly balanced as far as A/F ratio for every engine right out of the box.
So we're going to hear all 3 at one time or another........ depends on engine size/displacement, cam overlap, pumping effeciency, velocity moving through, etc. It's just not possible to have a "one size fits all" carb.
For one thing - there's a difference in jetting between the manual choke and the automatic choke versions of the SAME carb. Now once that choke is open, auto or manual choke has NO impact on the mixture to the engine....... so right  there is a difference. Mine is a manual converted to automatic choke. But how can Edelbrock say what my engine needs, especially based on the CHOKE? They can't. So what they do is put a good average in thoe box - then sell a lot of the jetting kits............. so you can make it right. There's a lot of "runs great" cars out there running too rich or too lean and they would run better if a sniffer was up the pipe and it was properly tuned.

My take on reman carbs? They suck. I quit using them back in about 1978 or so. In fact, our shop wouldn't install them. (I've toured facilities that do carb remanufacturing and trust me - what goes in isn't what comes out of most............ the parts are dumped into big baskets and cleaned with little attention to jetting, metering rods, etc.)
I've seen them so bad there was obvious stuff wrong - stuff a "intro to auto mechanics" studend should have caught. I've seen warped parts, plugged air bleeds, float settings WAAY out of whack, loose parts, bad gaskets, you name it.

That doesn't mean I'm against "carb rebuilding" - just means either I want to be the one doing it, or it's being done by someone I trust. No remans, though. None.
When a major shop stops using them, there's something to it, IMO. Yeah, you'll here the "oh, why not, I've had great luck" stories, yes - they exist. But over several years using many dozens of carbs, we found the odds were against you.

Check for fuel pressure that's too high - I think Edelbrock might want a limit of like 5psi, is it?
Check for float level, or leaking floats. Check for plugged air bleeds. This is a common thing and allows siphoning in some carbs. Floats might also be not moving freely, touching the sides or other issues.
On mine, I could hear the fuel boiling after the engine warmed up, so I  know what one issue was, but that's been solved.....
AMX401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMX401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2009 at 1:07pm
I checked all the above...I suspect Bill's comment that Reman's suck is true...though aren't these done by Edelbrock?

Something weird going on with the idle circuit, the left side idle screw makes no diff in vacuum or rpm wheather turned all in or out plus the dribbling of gas on the left side out what I'm guessing is the air bleed.

I could lower my fuel pressure by 1psi but I doubt that's the issue, lots of guys slap these on stock set ups which typically run 5-6psi with no issue.

Also, when I popped the heads off my 401 last week there was a huge amount of black carbon in the combustion chamber and exhaust, almost as if fuel was pouring in.  Unfortunately I can't play with the carb until my 401 comes back from the machine shop.....

Guess I'm cursed with leaks, even my body... one beer in and it seems like three beer out!
Regards,
Jeff...
Scoflaw View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scoflaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2009 at 1:57pm
Not sure if that carb has one, but a blown power valve on a holley will do exactly what you are describing.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2009 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by AMX401 AMX401 wrote:

Guess I'm cursed with leaks, even my body... one beer in and it seems like three beer out!

You only rent beer anyway.................
74Bubblefender View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2009 at 4:00pm
We do remans but they arent done by edelbrock. You have to bench flow and test each carb or your just selling someone elses headaches.
We are just about to forge new AMC V8 crankshafts.. please check here
http://www.bulltear.com/forums/showthread.php?19564
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic