TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > American Motors Corp., its history and more. > Dealerships - Nash, Hudson, Rambler, AMC, Jeep > Dealership Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Lost Dealership Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041 44>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72AMXJavProto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2020 at 5:46pm
Of note, Mark "Bought" a 70 Mark Donohue Javelin for his mother Hazel to drive.  Reference page 46/47 in the book "AMC Muscle Cars".  I believe I've seen a photo of it (possibly an ad - can't locate it now) and it was green (not sure which color).  I've questioned whether Mark actually "bought" it or if AMC gave it to him for promotional purposes (maybe he ended up buying it for $1 to create a legal purchase of the car.

Q1: Does anyone know what became of this 1970 Mark Donohue Javelin?

Q2: Was it special in any way?  i.e. Perhaps a prototype or AMC styling modification that Mark worked on to develop.

Blue Stinger View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Stinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2020 at 7:23pm
This is probably a real longshot but does anyone recognize this dealership?

Mark Ogulnick
Boulder City, NV
'71 Hornet SC 360
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2020 at 5:59am
Sent an e-mail back Leonard -- thanks!!

Frank Swygert
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2020 at 9:33am
Originally posted by 72AMXJavProto 72AMXJavProto wrote:

The 72 AMX Javelin Pre-Production Prototype I’ve owned for over 38 years still wears the Richards AMC of Union, NJ dealer decal from when it passed through the dealership.  The car was featured as part of a 2 page ad in the December 1971 Car Craft magazine.  The ad featured the 1971 TransAm Championship winning Penske/Donohue 1971 Javelin AMX and a list of race wins along with the new for 1972 AMX Javelin with photos of both cars.  The TransAm Red, 401, 4-Speed 72 AMX Javelin was built in April 1971 and has a unique VIN number, with the Sequence Number unstamped since as Dick Teague once told me it was pulled off the line and finished in the styling studio.  I’m still researching the history of the car and how this prototype car got out of the factory.  Being a prototype, it could not be sold as a production car.  The car still retains non-production prototype pieces.  The story is coming together slowly, any insight someone has on this car would be very much appreciated.  Note: Richards AMC in Union, NJ is 6 miles from the family home of Mark Donohue in Summit, NJ.  Was Mark given this car by AMC for winning the championship?

Awesome!  I hope you'll bring it out to one of our AZ/CA/NV shows once we start having them again.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

72AMXJavProto View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72AMXJavProto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2020 at 11:08am
Sent a reply email with photos of the door data plate, VIN tag, dash VIN tag and dealer decal (Richards, Union, NJ).

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2020 at 5:02pm
Got the photos from Leonard (72AMXJav Proto). Here is my reply, though I added a bit for here...

Thanks for the photos, I've never seen a pre-production car tag. Note thatthe body number indicates the second BODY to roll out of the body plant, not necessarily the second Javelin. My understanding is that the bodieswere numbered consecutively as they left the plant regardless of model.R000001 may not have been a Javelin...

It all looks legit. I have a lot of data on production cars, pre-production cars are seldom seen. Most were used in the plant for testing and photos, then sent out to dealers the same as production cars-- if they survived, and were pretty much the same as production. In later years some of those were used for crash testing (when it was mandatory, like in the late 60s up -- why take a perfectly salable car off the line and crash it?). It was just another car to AMC. Some prototypes were used the same way. There were several Cowboy mini trucks made... I forget the exact number, I think either three or four. They were used for running around at the AMC test track for several years before being destroyed, except for the one surviving example that was sold to an employee. It later had the Gremlin type front clip removed (more truck like) and a 73 Hornet front clip installed (more ElCamino like). Most assume AMC was going for an ElCamino type vehicle because of this, but that's not the case. It does look real good with the Hornet front end though...
Frank Swygert
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2020 at 5:30pm
Can you post the door tag??  I would like to see how it compares to the 2 pre-production cars that I own....
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
72AMXJavProto View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72AMXJavProto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2020 at 7:24pm
I would post a photo of the tag, but can’t since I’ve just recently joined the forum I don’t yet have enough points to post photos.  Though I don’t understand the basis for the restriction.  Once I reach the point threshold I’ll plan to post photos of the car and data tags.  Though it might be better to break-off to a more appropriate forum, rather than being buried under the Lost Dealership forum.  I think this thread is evolving off the original topic to the point that it’s time to jump to a different forum.
Note: On the door tag, for my pre-production car, the Sequence Number is unstamped (production cars have the number stamped on the plate at the bottom of the plate between the 2 lower rivets).  For the VIN Number, pre-production cars started with a leading “0” (zero) instead of a “1” for the 8th digit (1972 models).  All production cars started with a leading “1”.
Red1975pacer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red1975pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2021 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

The 72 AMX Javelin Pre-Production Prototype I’ve owned for over 38 years still wears the Richards AMC of Union, NJ dealer decal from when it passed through the dealership.  The car was featured as part of a 2 page ad in the December 1971 Car Craft magazine.  The ad featured the 1971 TransAm Championship winning Penske/Donohue 1971 Javelin AMX and a list of race wins along with the new for 1972 AMX Javelin with photos of both cars.  The TransAm Red, 401, 4-Speed 72 AMX Javelin was built in April 1971 and has a unique VIN number, with the Sequence Number unstamped since as Dick Teague once told me it was pulled off the line and finished in the styling studio.  I’m still researching the history of the car and how this prototype car got out of the factory.  Being a prototype, it could not be sold as a production car.  The car still retains non-production prototype pieces.  The story is coming together slowly, any insight someone has on this car would be very much appreciated.  Note: Richards AMC in Union, NJ is 6 miles from the family home of Mark Donohue in Summit, NJ.  Was Mark given this car by AMC for winning the championship?

Awesome!  I hope you'll bring it out to one of our AZ/CA/NV shows once we start having them again.
Red1975pacer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red1975pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2021 at 3:51pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041 44>
  Share Topic