TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1965 Marlin / Ambassador - Panhard Bar?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzurek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1965 Marlin / Ambassador - Panhard Bar?
    Posted: Oct/11/2021 at 11:15am
Hi!
Would anybody be able to get the overall length of the rear panhard / sway bar on a 1965 or 1966 Marlin or Ambassador?
At some point in its life, the previous owner hit something and bent that bar, I would like to get the length from the center of both bushings to weld in a new bar. With the bend in the bar, the rear end pulls side to side when going over large bumps in the road.
Thanks!
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2021 at 7:17am
The original bar is perfectly straight. Just measure yours. Or see this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4ZVVIFkhTc
Frank Swygert
jzurek View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzurek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2021 at 9:11am
Thanks for that link, that'll help alot!

The thing about mine is that it is not straight, there is a significant bend / dent in the middle of the bar from some kind of an impact. I'll post some pictures after I pull it off.

Thanks again!
First_Gear View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2021 at 5:49pm
One of the vendors. Sells a brand new panhard rod. I think it was APD but I don't quite remember.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2021 at 1:08am
Even bent, you should be able to follow the "outside" of the bend with a tape measure and get center to center length.

Or pound it "straight" and measure. It probably won't be usable, but if you hammer out pinch-flats etc you'll get very very close.

But yeah someone shoudl be able to get you a length.

It would not be a hard thing to fabricate. Just a tube with eyes.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2021 at 6:58am
Probably bent where someone tied a strap around it for towing or tying down. Or maybe from pulling the rear end back to take the torque tube off instead of dropping the rear axle. That was the procedure on a 50s Chevy TT setup, but they used leaf springs.
Frank Swygert
bkhrs View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2021 at 10:56am
With the car sitting at ride height, measure the distance between the mounting holes (or studs) on the rear end and the frame mount. This would apply to any car. If the springs have sagged (or the car has been raised) a stock length bar may no longer be appropriate. You can buy pre-made bars with adjustable ends from companies like AFCO (check speedwaymotors.com) they are not that expensive.
jzurek View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzurek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2021 at 11:05am
Thanks for the input guys!
I've already ordered the adjustable bar from the video link in a previous post, it'll need a little bit of modification but should bolt right up.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic